Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 18:39   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Xcent gets ABS & EBD on all variants

Hyundai is now offering ABS and EBD as a part of standard equipment across all variants of the Xcent compact sedan. At the same time, the company appears to have discontinued the E+ trim level of the car.

Hyundai Xcent gets ABS & EBD on all variants-xcent.jpg

The Xcent facelift was launched in April 2017. It was available in 5 variants - E, E+, S, SX and SX(O). While driver and passenger airbags were offered as standard, ABS and EBD were only available in the SX and SX(O) variants.

There has been no change in the powertrain options offered in the Xcent. The car is powered by a 1.2-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that produces 82 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and 114 Nm of torque @ 4,000 rpm. This unit is paired with either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. Additionally, the Xcent is also offered with a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder diesel engine that puts out 74 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 190 Nm @ 1,750-2,250 rpm and comes mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox.

Source: mycarhelpline

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 23rd August 2018 at 18:40.
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 19:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Xcent gets ABS & EBD on all variants

Hyundai is notorious for making consumers chose between convenience (automatic transmission) and safety (ABS+EBD).

Finally we can get the best of both worlds in this car! Good step Hyundai. Hope to see this in other cars of Hyundai soon.
shifu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 19:25   #3
BHPian

Great news and good move by Hyundai!

Glad to see manufacturers reconsidering the safety aspects of their products. On the side note, it does look like Hyundai has followed the footsteps of the competition, as the Amaze and Dzire, the leaders of the segment, offer the ABS and EBD as standard.

Just shows you another bright side of competition in the market.

Cheers,
Karthi.stark
karthi.stark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 20:45   #4
BANNED

Well, this took longer than expected. Frankly, I was expecting the car to get ABS and 2 airbags as standard equipment when the facelift launched. But Hyundai ditched the ABS for 2 airbags. I also expressed my disappointment as I was covering the launch on behalf of ZigWheels and CarDekho. The airbags save the occupants in the event of a crash. The ABS could avoid the crash altogether. I'd like both, but if I had to choose, I'd pick the ABS over airbags.

Once I got to speak with Mr. Srivastava, I was informed by the gentleman that airbags replaced ABS to accommodate customer requests and retain competitive prices. I could see some logic in his words. Even my well-educated friend circle knows that 6 airbags are better than 2 and 2 are better than zero. But, none that I spoke to could correctly explain what ABS does.

Forget samaj seva. At least the Dzire should have had an impact.

The world knew that Maruti was going to make ABS + Airbags standard in the Dzire. And Hyundai, which I think is a very smart company, decided to ditch the ABS for airbags. This was NOT a smart move when the competition is so formidable. The company that takes pride in calling itself upmarket and targeting the elite was looking to save costs and upsell higher variants to those who value safety. The Amaze facelift's success must also have encouraged Hyundai as that car is doing tremendously well and it too offers ABS, 2 airbags, and ISOFIX mounts as standard equipment.

The Grand still doesn't have ABS in Era and Magna trim. And ISOFIX child seat anchors aren't even available in the Xcent and Grand. The Elite has ISOFIX but only in the top-spec Asta (O) trim.

All Maruties, Ignis and above, come with ABS + airbags + ISOFIX mounts and a crash compliant chassis. (Except Ertiga, which has them as optional equipment but the next generation is around the corner and it'll pack all of these)

It looks like everytime Maruti takes 2 steps forward, Hyundai is taking 1 step back. AND THEN THEY HAVE THE AUDACITY TO ASK ME TO #BeTheBetterGuy.

I think I need to calm my soul and meditate more often.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 23rd August 2018 at 21:15.
MaheshY1 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2018, 22:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

I would say this move is too little, too late.

The Gi10 / Xcent / i20 has a curious mix of features sprinkled between variants which defies any sane logic.
Like you can't have Auto A/C or leather steering or height adjustable driver seats in case you wish to get an AT Gi10 or Xcent !
Or the fact that none but the Asta(O) trim in i20 has luaggage lamp & rear wash/wipe !

Part of the reason I had to eliminate Hyundai cars this time when I decided on a new car and chose Honda.

P.S: 90% of the Xcent I see on road are Xcent Prime cabs, so I don't think this move would make too much of a difference in the sales chart.

Last edited by blackasta : 23rd August 2018 at 22:14.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th August 2018, 11:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Hyundai is now offering ABS and EBD as a part of standard equipment across all variants of the Xcent compact sedan.
A commendable move for the 2nd largest carmaker in India. I hope the same is followed in their other models as well as by other competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
Just shows you another bright side of competition in the market.
Don't you just love a free market, where the consumer decides which features he wants and doesn't want? The move would have been caused by Maruti's increase safety quotient as well as forward thinking to add the speed warning system before time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
AND THEN THEY HAVE THE AUDACITY TO ASK ME TO #BeTheBetterGuy.
I think they realised that TheBetterGuy buying Amaze and Dzires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
90% of the Xcent I see on road are Xcent Prime cabs, so I don't think this move would make too much of a difference in the sales chart.
On the contrary. There is an increasing importance to safety features by cabbies. Gone are the days of taxi drivers being uneducated / less knowledgeable. Today's Ola/Uber cabbie is a smartphone wielding, English speaking owner/operator who know to give precedence to a car with safety features over a free music system.

Further, these cabs do lakhs of km on the roads and they should have abs / airbags mandatory. Recently abs was made mandatory for commercial vehicles in India.
blackwasp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 20:45   #7
BHPian

Hyundai is now offering ABS-EBD and dual Airbags as a part of standard equipment across all variants of Grand i10. The official websites shows the same:

Hyundai Xcent gets ABS & EBD on all variants-grand_10_abs_airbag.png
anthusiast is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks