Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2019, 11:40   #391
BHPian

Re: The Hyundai Venue SUV (aka Carlino)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsav3010 View Post
Being an i20 owner, I don’t see the same cohesiveness in design that earlier Hyundai’s had. Overall, it is a good looking car, but Hyundai could have done a better job for sure.

The engine start-stop button is on the right side, not left. As far as Hyundai’s premium cars go, the push button start-stop button is on the left hand side. Grand i10 and Xcent get it on the right hand side. Not a deal breaker, but just an observation. Rear seat space and boot space are more like i20. Interiors look smashing, especially the new steering wheel design.

But what about this 1.2 petrol? It feels just about ‘adequate’ in my i20. It’s not the most fuel efficient either. I thought they’ll plonk the 1.4 litre motor! Maybe, Hyundai wants to push the sales of 1.0 Turbo only. The 1.4 L Diesel will surely appeal to the masses, offers good drivability and efficiency as well.
Engine Start-Stop button switching was done after a thorough survey, about Indian Customer's preference. Apparently, as people are used to slotting their keys on the right hand side, it will be convenient in using Engine Start-Stop on the right side.

The 1.2 petrol is tweaked. It's lot more responsive than the Elite i20. The newly tweaked 1.2 offers awesome drivability, and excellent gradability too. Considering masses, N.A 1.2 petrol engine will be cheaper to maintain, than the Turbo petrol or Diesel.
Nifty.Nishy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 12:13   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Looks are subjective , but the Venue interiors look miles ahead of outdated Brezza interiors . Heck even the 6 lac odd Ignis has better interiors than the 10 lac odd Brezza and i dont even want to get into the build quality comparison of Brezza vs the peers.
I was only referring to design only ,for built and interiors Hyundai is miles ahead..
Old 19th April 2019, 12:38   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Venue : US Variant,

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 13:59   #394
BHPian

The Venue looks all set to be the next smash hit from Hyundai. I suspect it will steal sales from the existing players, but hurt the XUV300 the most. It will likely steal sales from its own sibling - the i20 / i20 active due to cross shopping in the showroom.

The Indian version seems to differ in a number of ways from the international version - We seem to be getting more gimmickry (all the so called connected features) whereas the International version is getting more of the real tech - safety systems (drowsiness alert/lane change warning), drive modes etc. I guess this is more to do with market demands than anything else.

What is evident from the pictures though is how far Hyundai has come - they are able to launch 2 different versions of the car, with multiple engine and transmission options at the same time. and the finish appears second to none. Way to go. I wish our home grown manufacturers also get to this state quickly.
prashanthyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 14:14   #395

Though the front looks are polarizing, I'm among the ones who like it. Overall I feel the car looks well put together, cohesive design & elegant interiors. The new touchscreen also looks nice & snappy.

Considering the size and what's their on offer (engine, transmission & features), I'm adding this car to my wish list.

Things to look out for:
1. Low end turbo lag in 1.0L engine
2. DCT performance (reliability will remain a concern)
3. Ride & handling dynamics (hoping they can pull off a Verna here)

All said and done, one of the must haves personally for me is the availability of AT in top trim. Hope Hyundai doesn't disappoint on this front.
Old 19th April 2019, 14:17   #396
BHPian

I feel sorry for XUV300. Just when Mahindra thought of having good slice of the hot segment, here comes Venue with top notch quality and more importantly choice of engines and transmission. The top end with DCT should sell like hot potato if they've got the combination right. 120 BHP seems more than adequate for the masses and I'm sure it would go well with us enthusiast also. Hyundai definitely knows how to milk the segment and how I wonder they've taken a fizz out of Hector's connected car narrative.
LeoMachine is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 14:56   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
P.S: The legroom looks to be similar to i20, but somehow I notice all journalists being tight lipped about it
I know, right? There's definitely something going on there.

So many journalists right there, but I've seen few to none talk about -
- tilt/telescopic steering wheel
- auto-dimming IRVM (I still don't get it why is there that small stick behind the mirror? I don't believe it's for any of the SoS functions)
- sports mode on DCT
- auto headlamps (and none of the released documentation reveals it either)
- low height of the vehicle (no comments on how low does it look in person)
- when do official bookings begin

Not saying these things are missing or wrong, but surprised that no one has commented on these while being on a ship with the car for about 24 hours. Weird!
kubectl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 15:18   #398
Senior - BHPian

Its funny how people are complaining/surprised that the legroom space is in i20 category. Its a Sub 4 metre SUV for God's sake and Hyundai is not a Honda when it comes to space management.
karanraheja is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 16:48   #399
BHPian

The Venue does seem to come with the top end A/T at last!! This seems to have all the things I need in my daily driver. Shall wait for the Team-BHP official review and my customary waiting period of 6 months for any new launch before diving in
Old 19th April 2019, 17:10   #400
BHPian

Can someone help me regarding that Shift lock release button? I took this screenshot from overdrive walk around video.
Attached Thumbnails
The Hyundai Venue SUV (aka Carlino)-screenshot_20190419165126.png  

Last edited by pkothak : 19th April 2019 at 17:12.
Old 19th April 2019, 17:28   #401
Senior - BHPian

Looks are subjective. I liked the front look inspite of a bit over the top grill. Back isn't that appealing. Interiors screams quality which has become a Hyundai trait in most of their cars. Bummer for me is no diesel automatic. That was my first priority.
Anyways, few questions-
1. Do we have the ARAI FE for all models?
2. What is the boot capacity? I hope it's not a deal breaker like XUV 300 miniature boot.
3. How much is the ground clearance?
Old 19th April 2019, 17:31   #402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkothak View Post
Can someone help me regarding that Shift lock release button? I took this screenshot from overdrive walk around video.
Basically in automatic cars, the gear stick won't move from Park to Drive unless you press the brake pedal or the car key is inserted (depends on the vehicle), so that accidentally its not shifted.
In case of breakdown and all electricals failing you might need to tow or push the vehicle. So you open the shift lock release cap and insert a key or any other object (like opening a sim in an iphone) for the gear shift to move.

https://scanneranswers.com/what-does...w-do-i-use-it/
deepjaju is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 18:16   #403
BHPian

Hyundai Venue's colour options for the USA model

The Hyundai Venue SUV (aka Carlino)-hyundaivenuecolouroption.jpg

Mods: Please delete if this has been already posted on the thread
jailbird_fynix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 21:42   #404
BHPian

I think the Hyundai Venue is a big acid test.

The Venue is great on features, tech and fancy voice-enabled assistance. But to be frank, it has only one engine to look up to.

With the Kappa 1.2L 84HP engine, the Venue would be the least powerful compact SUV in the market. They should have deviated the sub 4m rule, used the Verna/old Elite i20's 1.4L 90HP unit.

The other 1.4L 90HP diesel isn't a very popular pick either - it's not great on fuel efficiency or driveability (driveability being my opinion). The only engine to look forward to is the 1.0L turbo.

The acid test part being - is the market going to be bedazzled by the levels of tech and ignore the real deal of powertrains? Is the tech load up alone going to define how successful a market is? Is the book only going to be judged by the cover and not even a few pages in?

If that's the case, we would end up being a very superficial, pretentious, Instagram obsessed market segment.

- a 27 y.o slightly feeling like a 72 y.o
vigvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 21:51   #405
BHPian

I beg to disagree on the 1.4 crdi. I have driven it for 64k km till now. It may not be as refined as the 1.6 but it is quite smooth on the go, has a punchy mid range and doesn't suffer from excessive lag. I can't comment on FE as I drive with a heavy foot but still manage an average of 16kmpl.
octane_100 is online now   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed