Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 13:56   #211
BHPian

Re: Next-Gen Hyundai i10 spotted testing in India. EDIT : Now launched as Grand i10 NIOS at Rs 5 Lak

The third gen i10 with first gen(12 yr old) 1.2L engine and transmission. Could have given 1.0L engine, at-least as an option.

I think the power-train combo just doesnt matter here, either to the manufacturer or customers .
Old 21st August 2019, 14:02   #212
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-Gen Hyundai i10 spotted testing in India. EDIT : Now launched as Grand i10 NIOS at Rs 5 Lak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Ride & handling, engine power & torque.. nothing matters while inching ahead in traffic and helplessly watching the countdown in signals.

Hyundai gives feel good interiors and features which is a boon in such existential crisis times, otherwise one has to buy an expensive duster 4wd and drive to the wilderness to cope with the mental harassment on our roads.
While the interiors are good and build quality is better, based on my personal experience Hyundai 1.2L has a bad drinking habit. My friends Grand i10 gives 7-8 KMPL in mental Bangalore traffic where as the old swift he has gives delivers a phenomenal 10KMPL on same road! Add to that ownership costs are generally lower with Maruti and better resale too. That said at 6.98L Sportz AMT seems better value than Swift ZXi AMT at 7.20lacs.

Last edited by PrideRed : 21st August 2019 at 14:04.
PrideRed is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 15:43   #213
BHPian

Re: Next-Gen Hyundai i10 spotted testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Detailed comparison vs Swift
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Continuing post the max permissible 30 files.
I sincerely hope Hyundai should stop doing this kind of useless comparisons (most of them) .

No doubt, Hyundai makes good cars, and Grand i10 Nios looks like the promising product from them. It looks like they handed over the job to an intern and told him/her that they will be evaluated on the number of items. I am not sure if this really helps them to get the initial footfall to the showrooms.

Hyundai's desperate attempts to dethrone the Swift reminds me of Bajaj doing the same with Splendor. They started with KB 4S Champion > Caliber > Hudibaba Caliber > Boxer CT Deluxe > CT100 > Platina. I might have missed some but still, Splendor dominates.

On the pricing front, I think most of the variants are priced on par with the direct competition. Looks like Nios might cut a little more slice from the Swift.
Old 21st August 2019, 16:11   #214
BHPian

I have always liked Hyundai's design approach they have taken with each of their i10 generations. I think similar to Ford with their Fiesta, Hyundai seems to treat their smallest offering with kids glove when it comes to design, functionality and features.
But I can't seem to fathom what's going on with the name. They started with i10 for the first generation, increased it to Grand i10 for the second generation, and that's now further been increased to Grand i10 NIOS. Wonder if they will increase the verbiage for the fourth generation.
Anthym is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 16:35   #215
Senior - BHPian

Now I realise how much the prices have gone up lately.

I bought my Elite i20 Asta in Jan 2017 for 8L on road, all inclusive.
Now the Grande i10 NIOS will cost the same.
vinit.merchant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 17:11   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Now I realise how much the prices have gone up lately.

I bought my Elite i20 Asta in Jan 2017 for 8L on road, all inclusive.
Now the Grande i10 NIOS will cost the same.
Adding some to that, I bough my Innova G variant for 8.5L in 2008! top spec Swift back then used to cost around 5.5L. The premium hatchbacks have indeed become "Premium".
PrideRed is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 17:15   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Hyundai's inferiority complex at work! They started it long back by comparing Getz and Swift, then i10 and Swift, to Grand i10 and Swift, to Wagon-R and Santro, to Eon and Alto, to Xcent and DZire... And lost all these battles.

Better to act professionally and show some maturity in the business, Hyundai. You can sell better by projecting your cars' capabilities than demoting other cars. Especially, Swift. And projecting i10 sportier than a Swift? You must be living in fools' paradise.
To be honest apart from sales, where else did Hyundai lose to Maruti? Feature wise, Hyundai is better. Power wise, Hyundai is better. Looks wise, Hyundai is better. Build quality wise, Hyundai is better. After sales wise, Hyundai is equivalent if not better.

Heck Maruti din't even bother to change their engines for years but kept milking the "kitna deti hai" 1.3 DDiS in all its cars even though it was 12 years old until it was forced to upgrade due to emission norms getting stricter. And if you're calling the current gen Swift sporty than you'd probably call the first gen Swift a supercar where it came to dynamics. Hyundai is no more making boats like it used to back in the day. Their cars handle tighter than before yet provide a comfy ride whose balance Maruti could never master. Try driving the 2.0 Petrol Elantra or even the Verna and you'll know how far they have come.

Being a former Maruti owner twice and a Hyundai owner as well, the only Maruti I might even consider buying from an overall package point of view is the S-cross. (Still can't get over the 1.6 DDiS sold once upon a time which got replaced by you know what)

Last edited by Starfire : 21st August 2019 at 17:42.
Starfire is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 17:36   #218
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Thane Pricing detailed below
Attached Thumbnails
The Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS, now launched at Rs 5 lakhs-20190821_173432.jpg  

ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 19:00   #219
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
To be honest apart from sales, where else did Hyundai lose to Maruti?
You are a manufacturer. You are bringing a new car. You are advertising it like anything. You are comparing it with the market leader. Why? Ultimately, it's only to sell your car. Not to showcase that your car looks better or has more features. And, in a competition, there will be one winner and others are losers, even if it is number 2 or 3. In that sense, Getz, Eon, Santro, Xcent lost to their Maruti counterparts meagerly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfire View Post
Heck Maruti din't even bother to change their engines for years...
Agree. Who else did change? Did Hyundai change their 1.2 Kappa / 1.4 CRDi even after so many years? Did Renault change their K9K? Players like VW downgraded their engine!

My point is very very simple: there is no need for such cheap and silly comparisons in the public by a manufacturer. There are numerous media people who will do this. Even if you do it, then do it with some grace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Isn't the PowerPoint deck that is the point of discussion here, a document meant for Hyundai internal circulation only , & meant for sales training? Correct me if I am mistaken, but I do not think they are distributing this as an appendix to the brochure to the customer.
Good, if that's the case. And Hyundai can sue the people who circulated it and tarnished its image

Last edited by romeomidhun : 21st August 2019 at 19:19.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 19:16   #220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point is very very simple: there is no need for such cheap and silly comparisons in the public by a manufacturer.
Isn't the PowerPoint deck that is the point of discussion here, a document meant for Hyundai internal circulation only , & meant for sales training? Correct me if I am mistaken, but I do not think they are distributing this as an appendix to the brochure to the customer.
blackasta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 19:40   #221
Distinguished - BHPian

So from a pricing perspective I guess now we have an overlap between the b1 hatchbacks and Subcompact SUVs?

With this pricing in fact I think the Nexon Petrol AUTOMATIC (AMT) XMA can be purchased at prices lower than or near about some NIOS variant trims? A much larger car with certified 5 Star safety rating!

Hyundai is becoming too optimistic. So far working for them. But nothing is permanent they should remember.
Reinhard is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 19:58   #222
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, Hyundai is overly optimistic about the Nios at those prices. The Petrol Asta is costing 9 lakhs+ and not many would be willing to pay that much for a car of its size, especially those who are looking at the features list. I predict hefty discounts on the car in the near future.

Personally, I hate the grille design. Hated it in the Xcent facelift , hate it even more in the Nios. First they messed up the Santro and its pricing(discounts aside, the Santro Asta costs nearly 7 lakhs OTR in Mangalore) and they are making the same mistake with the Nios.
skanchan95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 20:01   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post

Absolutely, it's not marketing material and the ppt is a training document leaked. It's only for sales training and is not meant for any marketing. We should refrain from negatively analysing the slide.
shravan2k2 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 21:27   #224
BHPian

Quote:

Agree. Who else did change? Did Hyundai change their 1.2 Kappa / 1.4 CRDi even after so many years?
They din't but at least they offered different engines in different cars. For eg: The Grand i10 got the 1.1 Crdi, the i20 got the 1.4 Crdi, the Verna Got the 1.6 Crdi and Santa Fe got the 2.2 Crdi.

As for Maruti? Let's see, the 1.3 DDiS was given in the:

Swift hatch
Ignis cross hatch
Ritz small hatch
Dzire compact sedan
Ertiga MPV
SX4 Sedan
Ciaz sedan
S-Cross Crossover
Vitara Brezza compact SUV
Baleno premium hatchback

10 cars! That too in multiple generations! That's as many cars as the number of letters in the Hindi word "Sarvajanic". I guess that should be the official title of that Engine. Imagine the amount of money Maruti Suzuki saved in new engine devolopment, yet they kept on hiking the prices like no tomorrow. Let that sink in a bit.

Last edited by Starfire : 21st August 2019 at 21:31.
Starfire is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 21:32   #225
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hyundai Grand i10 NIOS, now launched at Rs 5 lakhs

What's with fish scale like design on the dash? I think it should have been omitted.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 21st August 2019 at 21:36.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks