Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2018, 10:30   #166
Senior - BHPian

Re: The most useless features in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Not getting the relation between Cruise Control and side wall burst. You mean to say you were distracted due to the CC being on?
This sounds strange, but it happened not because of distraction.
Old 5th September 2018, 10:54   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishmathur14 View Post
Off button for Door Lights: What if the door lights go kaput and creates a short circuit?
You could say that about any electronic component.
Old 5th September 2018, 11:23   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
This sounds strange, but it happened not because of distraction.
We cannot see a direct relation between a side wall burst and cruise control. So it would be nice if you could enlighten us on how you had a side wall burst because of cruise control. Could be a learning lesson for all of us here?

I find it strange that people have a problem with even a cabin light door activation off switch. What if you want to leave your doors open for a long time, say when you have given your car for an interior cleaning job, or you want to air your cabin or dry your fixed floor carpets for some time with all doors open, or you are getting some accessories fitted or any other job requiring the doors to be kept open for a long time. Would you want 2 or 3 cabin lights to be ON during the entire process and risk draining your battery, especially older ones?

Last edited by SCORPION : 5th September 2018 at 11:42.
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 12:11   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
*SNIP*

Wait! May be I can think of one useless feature in the Endeavour. The now notorious (for me) Bootlid button. Twice I managed to lock my keys inside the boot and was left stranded far away from home. The thing is, in the Endeavour, the boot unlock button on the key fob opens only the boot. The rest of the doors remain locked. So, once you have opened the boot, and you find you need both hands to arrange or remove stuff, you keep the key aside somewhere in the boot and now have both hands free. Once you are done, you use the conveniently placed button on the bootlid to shut it. And voila! You have successfully managed to lock your keys inside! Both the times I managed to do it, I suffered. I hated this feature and wished it wasn't there.

*SNIP*
Well, this is a prime example of a feature implemented in a half-baked fashion, merely to check off a box. A properly implemented function would be to prevent the doors or dicky or hatch to lock with the keys anywhere inside the car.

Cheers
Old 5th September 2018, 13:52   #170
BHPian

For me there are 2 features that are pointless. The second one though is liked my many.
1. Key in the ignition when door open warning in the Honda Brio. I really find it useless, i know the key is still there I don't need a beep for that.
2. Auotlock: Though many find this useful, I have gotten used to without it. Now mechanically I lock the door the moment i close the door. It had become a habit.
I am generally averse to lot of dependence on Technology.

Last edited by aniyo : 5th September 2018 at 13:53.
Old 5th September 2018, 14:55   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
We cannot see a direct relation between a side wall burst and cruise control. So it would be nice if you could enlighten us on how you had a side wall burst because of cruise control. Could be a learning lesson for all of us here?
Here is what happened, I was driving on a single lane road to avoid the toll at Channarayapatna, I always take a deviation about 2 kms before the toll gate. Before entering the single lane road I had set the speed at 70km/hr, this was my first experience of cruise control in any car. I thought I had switched off the CC mode till I heard a big thud sound beneath the car. The front tyre had hit a stone and was ripped open. I failed to notice that CC mode was ON.
Old 5th September 2018, 15:10   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Here is what happened, I was driving on a single lane road to avoid the toll at Channarayapatna, I always take a deviation about 2 kms before the toll gate. Before entering the single lane road I had set the speed at 70km/hr, this was my first experience of cruise control in any car. I thought I had switched off the CC mode till I heard a big thud sound beneath the car. The front tyre had hit a stone and was ripped open. I failed to notice that CC mode was ON.
I don't understand why you blame cruise control for this. All you had to do was to press the brakes which would disengage cruise control. Crusie control disengages if you press the accelerator or brakes depending on the situation.

You have mentioned that you thought you had switched off CC, so it's your mistake. You should have been aware of where your wheels were.

Last edited by ajmat : 5th September 2018 at 15:28.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 15:24   #173
BHPian

Quote:
I still don't get how you ended up hitting that stone because of cruise control. Weren't you watching the road ahead? In my opinion, that is what you probably failed to do. You would have slowed down to take the single lane road, no? So your cruise control should have deactivated before you entered the single lane, automatically, when you braked or pressed the clutch (in an MT car). Unless you manually reactivate cruise control, after entering the single lane road, cruise control should remain deactivated.

After having gone through all the posts here, in my opinion people here find useful and important features useless because of one or more of the below reasons:

1. They have not fully understood the purpose of that particular feature.

2. Do not have a thorough understanding of how and when to use/not use a feature.

3. Have not yet been through a situation where the feature would have helped them in some way.

4. Are unwilling to change old habits.

5. Feel that too much technology is not good, which is not always correct.

6. Find other people misusing a particular feature thereby causing discomfort to them, and so don't like that feature even if they may not have that particular feature fitted in their car.
SCORPION is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 17:14   #174
Senior - BHPian

In my opnion the most useless feature(s) are those so called "special edition" upgrades and associated stickering works. Followed by this, I would rate the features like leather seats, seat covers or stictched steering wheel cover or chrome or colour accents around everything.

Except for the VRS Skoda, I don't think (not considering the AMGs, M's and the RS's) no other manufacturer is providing a good real hot hatch. The Abarth and GTi what we get is simply a joke when compared to their real european twins.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 17:52   #175
BHPian

Some of the new hyundais have a feature to control the brightness of the instrument cluster. I think it is one of the useless features to have.

Next is:
1. Intermittent wiper speed (again Hyundai feature)
2. headlight leveller
Old 5th September 2018, 17:57   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
2. Auotlock: Though many find this useful, I have gotten used to without it. Now mechanically I lock the door the moment i close the door. It had become a habit.
I am generally averse to lot of dependence on Technology.
This is the perfect car for you.

Name:  zfc.png
Views: 1000
Size:  18.0 KB
JohnyBoy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 18:15   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
Some of the new hyundais have a feature to control the brightness of the instrument cluster. I think it is one of the useless features to have.

Next is:
1. Intermittent wiper speed (again Hyundai feature)
2. headlight leveller
Intermittent wiper is very useful in light drizzle - so much so, that we have an entire thread (DIY: Adding "variable intermittent wipers" to the Celerio & other Marutis) on how to add the feature as DIY.

As for headlight leveler, it's a mandatory safety feature added to offset the effect of varying passenger / luggage load on headlamps.
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 18:17   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish2135 View Post
I actually find it useful especially during night times when the dashboard lights are too bright on the eyes.
venuvedam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 18:20   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnyBoy View Post
This is the perfect car for you.

Attachment 1796346
If we had this our world would have been a much cooler place.
I am glad someone remembers cartoon from my generation.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 19:10   #180
BHPian

I find the touch controls for the AC/Climate control in my Honda Jazz useless when I'm driving alone. You need to look down instead of concentrating on road ahead and the most irritating thing is there are times when the climate control switches off (for example on steep inclines) and you end up looking down/left instead of road ahead.

It's otherwise cool feature if anyone else than driver is operating.

Frankly, I think touch controls shouldn't be there for driver to operate because that means he has to divert his attention from road ahead.
umeshd is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks