Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2018, 12:47   #196
BHPian

Re: The most useless features in cars

Well I have been using every feature in the car and I absolutely love having them at my disposal.

1. Push button start stop - No more ignition area badly keyed

2. Sunroof - Excellent in winters and at night for a calming drive

3. Voice Commands - Work excellent the android auto or carplay. No more inputting addresses

4. Cruise Control - If you are diligent you can easily operate cruise at 80-100kmh on highways and make your drive more relaxing and at the same time saving fuel because of no more irregular speeds

5. Cabin Lights when opening doors - Sometimes you want privacy when getting in and out of the car at night

6. Compass on 2wd car - Just remember google maps sometimes instructs you to go west and if you are lost without satnav you can know what direction to go

7. Satnav in Car - Being in poor cell reception area and wanting to find directions . With Android Auto and Carplay , Car GPS Communicated with phone

8. Parking Sensors Off - If the parking sensors go bad or in cars with 360 parking sensors having an option helps avoid the annoying noise

9. Electronic Steering Adjustment - No more jammed lever and tried to hold the steering wheel in place so its doesnt fall before you tighten the Lever . Easy ingress and egress if you have the steering all out

10. Auto Start Stop - Helps at traffic light, You dont want to pollute the environment for no reason and saves fuel

11. Rear Foglamps - In north India they are useful in preventing getting rear ended in thick fog

12. TPMS - Sometimes you dont really have the time to check tyre pressure every 15 days or even once a month. Its good to know there is one less duty to perform

13. Auto Headlight Off/On - One less thing to take care of. Imagine having lights running all night draining battery in case you forget to turn them off or having them on while you are driving during the day

I love having the convenience of everything! Makes life easier if you use everything!
V12Doc is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 15:58   #197
BHPian

Push Button start is very convenient to have but i am very skeptical about the safety of my car with keyless entry and push button start. It is increasingly becoming simple for thieves to intercept the signals.

I wish they gave a physical lock to enable/disable the keyless push button starting. That ways we can disable the keyless starting whenever we need to park our car for extended period or at unsafe locations. In regular use, we can just keep that on and use the keyless features.
Old 8th September 2018, 16:25   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
Push Button start is very convenient to have but i am very skeptical about the safety of my car with keyless entry and push button start. It is increasingly becoming simple for thieves to intercept the signals.
Very true and it had an impact on me when buying my new car. There are now sensitive receivers which can pick it up from a radius of almost 15-30m. Imagine how easy it would be to pick up the signal in your office parking lot and steal the car the next day since they know you would be coming back.
Brishti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 18:08   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
Very true and it had an impact on me when buying my new car. There are now sensitive receivers which can pick it up from a radius of almost 15-30m. Imagine how easy it would be to pick up the signal in your office parking lot and steal the car the next day since they know you would be coming back.
https://www.timesnownews.com/mirror-...network/281740

This happened just a few days back in Noida. The cars need to have at least some physical deterrent.
Old 28th October 2019, 22:42   #200
BHPian

One feature that’s becoming a trend in newer cars is the two-spoke steering wheel. Why? I don’t really see any point behind this. Not that I’ve done any actual research on the topic, but does anyone have a good reason?
Old 9th November 2019, 12:10   #201
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Rear Foglamps
Don't get me wrong - rear foglamps are very important. Problem is, in India, no one knows how to use them . Every time I go out on the highway, I see cars with their rear foglamps ON in perfect weather conditions. What's worse, some of the German cars have such bright rear foglamps that they can seriously blind you at night !
See what I mean? Hardly anyone in India knows how & when to use the rear foglamps:
The most useless features in cars-20191108-21.24.24.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 13:34   #202
BHPian

Some people:

Headlights

Why use them when they are just using their day time running led
momsonlydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 15:06   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
See what I mean? Hardly anyone in India knows how & when to use the rear foglamps:
Attachment 1932639
You'll see that a lot with VW group cars because of the way the switch is designed. You pull once upto first resistance for front fog lamps, then pull again for rear fogs. Many people end up pulling it right out till the end in the first instance itself not knowing they've put on their rear fog lamps. Of course there is an indicator on the dash and IIRC it is yellow in colour making it hard to miss.
Santoshbhat is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 16:47   #204
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not even journalists!

During the Kodiaq Spiti Valley trip, despite clear skies etc. One journo from a big portal always kept all foglights on at all times even in the daytime. We have LED DRL's and auto lights damn it.

Abroad, you can be fined for this as the dazzle during rains is intense. Thats why it is mandated to have a warning light on the instrument panel.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 17:16   #205
Senior - BHPian

It's the 5th gear in my ecosport. The rising traffic on roads would mean I seldom cross 80 kmph in the daily commute (sub-urban/rural).
ramzsys is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 18:55   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Its not intentional in a VAG car, the knob is such that the first position after pulling it, will switch on the front fog lamps and then the second position, will switch on the rear fog lamps. But then, if you pull the knob, it always falls in the second position, and people don't realize it, as the light is in the rear, away from the vision. Ideally, they should keep a separate switch for the same.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 23:06   #207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Its not intentional in a VAG car, the knob is such that the first position after pulling it, will switch on the front fog lamps and then the second position, will switch on the rear fog lamps. But then, if you pull the knob, it always falls in the second position, and people don't realize it, as the light is in the rear, away from the vision. Ideally, they should keep a separate switch for the same.
The idea is that the fogs lights come on with the headlights only and get switched off when they do.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 00:43   #208
Senior - BHPian

TPMS can be life-saving! It is not just a "feature" that shows tire pressure, it also warns if it detects abnormal loss of air pressure in the tire. There have been enough accidents caused by tire blow-outs, and TPMS might help avoid them.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2019, 09:12   #209
BHPian

The most useless features in cars

I have a Rapid and I feel that if you go through the correct usage of each feature, you will know how to use it. I have never been able to accidentally turn on the rear fog lamp in my Rapid as I learnt to use it right from the start. It is very useful to have it on the same switch as turning off the headlight will switch off the fog lamps as well. Additionally, in case the rear fog lamps are on by mistake, the instrument cluster indicates it as well.
Old 10th November 2019, 10:29   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The idea is that the fogs lights come on with the headlights only and get switched off when they do.
There are many instances where I had to turn off low beam as visibility was pretty bad with it on during thick fog. I had to drive for some distance with fog lamp and locate the white lines on the road. Fog lamps being 35 W in many vehicles are adequate to ensure safe yet slow progress during thick fog as well.

I think there is a provision to turn on Fog lamps without headlamps being on for most cars. Position 1 parking/position lamps will allow fog lamp to be switched on or off using a ring / separate switch.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed