Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2018, 01:22   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKTRACK View Post
The prices of base trims are higher than freestyle's base trims. I don't think it can even be called a competition to the freestyle. Freestyle is a more mature and serious product.
Tiago NRG is the flagship model in the Tiago series as of now. There are no base trims, just top end manual transmission petrol and diesel models!!
AdityaDeane is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2018, 03:36   #47
BHPian

re: The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched

Car looks nicer than the existing models. That apart, couldnt understand Tata's strategy for so many models in the same size and price range with slightly different specs from Zest to Bolt to Tiago to Tigor and now the NRG, when they could have been entering new segments.

Are these "testing waters" models for Tata or NRG is aimed at rural and semi urban markets?
Old 13th September 2018, 12:27   #48
BHPian

Re: The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
He claims it to be a steel wheel, which I thought is a wheel cap rather than an alloy. Or am I missing something?
When we zoom in, you can actually see the disk on the front wheel. So, it mostly cannot be a wheel cap. Their brochure also calls it out as "DurAlloy Wheels". Why would they call out such a feature on the brochure if the car is equipped with steel rims and wheel caps?

Anyway, as you said, if they are alloys as we expect it to be, then good for the public.

Quote:
It's a screenshot from the above video. So I shared exactly what I intended to.
Old 15th September 2018, 16:28   #49
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tiago NRG Official TVC out now...

AdityaDeane is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 21:31   #50
Team-BHP Support

Some images of the NRG, from their display at a popular mall in Bangalore -

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_204036.jpg

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_204504.jpg

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_204016.jpg

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_204107.jpg

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_204058.jpg

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_204044.jpg

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_204122.jpg

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_204115.jpg

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_204031.jpg

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_2041032.jpg

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_2041422.jpg

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-img_20180915_2042112.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 08:42   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Why would they call out such a feature on the brochure if the car is equipped with steel rims and wheel caps?
Tata Motors seems to have learned the tricks from other manufacturers to lure the buyers with some catchy names like Duralloy wheels.
This weekend, I had a chance to see the car in person and those wheels feels to be alloys UNTILL you touch / tap them.

It's a piece of brilliantly designed wheel caps + steel wheel combination.
OR
It could have some generic shaped alloy wheel and then they covered it up with well designed wheel cap.

Honestly I liked their idea of saving on cost without compromising on looks.
Please go through the image attached.

The Tata Tiago NRG, now launched-whatsapp-image-20180914-18.39.29.jpeg
DriveOnceMore is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 09:59   #52
Senior - BHPian

Many Tigor owners reported on our group that engine is extremely refined and feels more responsive. Looks like Tata is keen on improving the car's weakness while improving the product as a whole!

Service too has improved a lot, they just need to produce niggle free cars to complete the winning equation.
giri1.8 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 09:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When we zoom in, you can actually see the disk on the front wheel. So, it mostly cannot be a wheel cap. Their brochure also calls it out as "DurAlloy Wheels". Why would they call out such a feature on the brochure if the car is equipped with steel rims and wheel caps?
Quote:
Ain't that an alloy? It certainly looks like one. I tried zooming in further on the image you shared and it clearly looks like an alloy and not wheel caps.

Either you shared a different picture than you intended to share or you got it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
That as per the brochure attached in my post above is a 14" DuraAlloy and not a wheelcap. Maybe someone who has seen the car can confirm this..
So indeed those are wheelcaps after all and not alloys. I will repeat. Excellent execution

Related thread (Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!)

On the other hand I would have preferred actual alloys but then maybe this was a cost cutting move.
SoumenD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 09:11   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So indeed those are wheelcaps after all and not alloys. I will repeat. Excellent execution

Related thread (Tata's "DurAlloy Wheel" is actually a steel rim with a plastic wheel cap!)

On the other hand I would have preferred actual alloys but then maybe this was a cost cutting move.
I also just read the thread posted by GTO last night about it being a cleverly designed steel wheel with a wheel cap looking like a machine cut alloy wheel. Because the inner steel wheel has 4 spoke kind of design and is not a complete circle with holes (as is the usual case), everyone was under the impression that when TMIL called it a DurAlloy, it was actually an alloy.

Moreover, when you are launching a car (NRG) above the top most variant (XZ which comes with alloys), everyone expected that it will have alloys as well and not this cost cutting steel wheels with alloy mimicking wheelcap gimmick! These recent feature deletions and marketing gimmicks by TMIL will reduce the little faith people have started putting on their products and affect them in the long run.

I just hope the Turnaround 2.0 strategy actually turns them around to provide the best of things, even at slightly higher prices, and make other manufactures as well as the Indian buying public to take notice of their resurrection as a brand.
AdityaDeane is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 11:03   #55
BHPian

Quote:
So indeed those are wheel caps after all and not alloys. I will repeat. Excellent execution
Yea, you were right, SoumenD! Even though most of us are impressed by how they pulled this one off, a bit disappointed by Tata's marketing tactic here. They have been doing a great job with respect to bringing some amazing products into the market, but this silly move might just hurt their reputation a bit.

If feeling sorry for those who picked up the NRG expecting that it comes with Alloy Wheels and not a wannabe "DurAlloy" steel wheels.
Old 30th October 2018, 11:24   #56
Senior - BHPian

Fake alloys may not just be a cost cutting measure.

I feel that steel rims may have been provided since they are more abuse friendly, considering the rugged nature of the vehicle.

Rohan
Old 30th October 2018, 11:33   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

I feel that steel rims may have been provided since they are more abuse friendly, considering the rugged nature of the vehicle....
This car is no more rugged and won't see any more wheel-busting action than any other pretend-SUV out there.

Tata are free to make product feature choices, but let's not try to spin this into a customer benefit thing.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 13:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Given that the "alloy" wheels provided in most of the cars sold in India are more for aesthetics and no real performance benefit, how does it matter if it is in reality a steel wheel when it actually "looks" like an alloy only. "looks" = "aesthetics" - so what is the big issue about ?
Old 30th October 2018, 15:15   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Given that the "alloy" wheels provided in most of the cars sold in India are more for aesthetics and no real performance benefit, how does it matter if it is in reality a steel wheel when it actually "looks" like an alloy only. "looks" = "aesthetics" - so what is the big issue about ?
The problem with that argument, is the entire car (and all others of its type) is/are an 'aesthetic' exercise. None of the plastic cladding is going to turn a raised hatch into an SUV, so why bother with the charade at all?

Simple reason: People care for aesthetics. Form matters a whole lot more than function in our market, or we won't have a cross variant of pretty much every hatchback in existence.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th October 2018 at 15:17.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 15:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
The problem with that argument, is the entire car (and all others of its type) is/are an 'aesthetic' exercise. None of the plastic cladding is going to turn a raised hatch into an SUV, so why bother with the charade at all?

Simple reason: People care for aesthetics. Form matters a whole lot more than function in our market, or we won't have a cross variant of pretty much every hatchback in existence.
Exactly what I said - so if aesthetics and form is all that matters - why get worked up about the wheel not being actually "alloy" as long as it "looks like alloy"
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed