View Poll Results: Are you brand loyal?
Yes 212 25.45%
No 621 74.55%
Voters: 833. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2018, 14:58   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are you brand loyal?

I voted Yes. Broadly, it is my basic nature to stick to a quality brand if I liked it, loved it and obsessed with it. Unless and until that brand shuts down, winds up their business, goes bankrupt or gets banned by the government I don't even think of changing the brand - be it cars, perfumes, watches, toothpastes or soaps. I don't change brands unless I absolutely needed to. My ex- Cedia, I owned it for 9 years and I sold it 6 years after the car had been discontinued in India. And I went to VW Jetta after detailed analysis and that car too went of the shelves in 2016.
Brand Loyalty - Yes, that's me. (As you can see, I am still not willing to change my Avatar pic.)

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 6th September 2018 at 15:02.
Old 6th September 2018, 15:14   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted No.

Give me a good quality product with good after-sales, and I am in. Not only for cars, this applies to most of my purchases. Though I have gotten some products earmarked that a certain company makes a particular product better than others, but that is purely due to the product quality and not due to the brand name.

Regards,
Saket
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 15:45   #138
BHPian

Voted yes, and it's easy to guess which brand I'm loyal to.

Toyota!

Having owned multiple Toyota's in the past, the overall ownership experience has always been stellar. IMO, Toyota cars may not be the most exciting, but they sure do offer peace of mind.

This doesn't mean I buy only Toyota, but I am partial to Japanese cars. It's the Germans I avoid like the plague.
Old 6th September 2018, 16:18   #139
Senior - BHPian

Voted No, and here is my purchase history

1. Bajaj Saffire - 2001
2. Kinetic Honda - 2006 (second hand)
3. Tata Indica - 2006
4. Tvs Scooty - 2008 (second Hand)
5. Suzuki Access - 2011
6. Maruti Swift Dzire - 2013
7. RE TB 350 - 2018

I go with what alludes to my mind, heart and wallet and not necessarily the brand.
Old 6th September 2018, 16:47   #140
BHPian

Voted Yes. I have a soft heart for Tata, the perennial underdog !
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 22:55   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted Yes.

More than brand loyalty, I would call it the middle class mentality of being safe. I buy cars that are super reliable or vfm or both.

Particularly I have been a repeat Maruti buyer for 20 years now, because their cars are cheap, efficient and reliable, not to forget their amazing after sales and service.

Omni - first gen Zen - Wagon R - Maruti 800 - Swift diesel first gen - Ciaz diesel - Celerio

Now I also had Tatas along side marutis. Tatas because they were cheap, sturdy and took abuse like no other.

Estate - Sumo DX - Sumo Grande - Safari Dicor - Sumo Gold - Safari Storme (first two were disasters though, but we somehow couldn't ignore vfm factor in sumo Grande which was a perfectly reliable car to us, which led to further purchased from Tata)

And I have also had other brands that were vfm and efficient - Like the ambassadors ,Commander, MM540, Armada(in the 90s, we didn't have many options those days) Chevy Beat diesel, Kwid 1.0 (recently)

Motorcycles I can afford to take risks, but I have been lucky to have peaceful joyful ownerships so far. Hero Hondas - Royal Enfield - Bajaj - Honda - KTM. Off late I feel I may become loyal to KTMs though, currently being in my second KTM.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 6th September 2018 at 22:57.
Old 6th September 2018, 23:53   #142
BHPian

I voted Yes.

To say no, at least to me, would be denying the subtle conditioning brands do to our irrational mind. I had Skoda, and I was enamored of its German build, but after driving a Honda for a year, I realize it didn't matter as much as I thought. Strangely, I still crave for that door thump sometimes!
Old 7th September 2018, 00:33   #143
BHPian

I voted No.

I am presently driving Maruti SX4 2008 July model. It still shines, Good FE of about 12, No major problems till date.
And now I'm in market looking for something new with all the top notch safety kit thrown in keeping in mind that traffic and sense has gone bad to worse.

Anyway I feel if I become brand loyal than its only me who is going to loose out. Out there car world is like an ocean, Every other car different, its so much fun deciding which car to go for. If you become brand loyal then you are limiting yourself to options laid out by the company, instead its time to let manufacturers compete and as a customer you enjoy the best of best.

Regards
Aviatoraval is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 12:31   #144

Voted for YES

Why?
Service Quality plays a major part. Which is why all our beauties have been strictly Japanese (for their bullet proof reliability & no fuss ASS)

Cars which have been in our Garage -

Past - Maruti 800x2/Zen/Esteemx2, Honda City i-VTEC(2006)/(2008)
Present - City i-DTEC(2012), Ciaz(2015), Innova(2018), Jazz(2018)

Shifted to Honda after terrible experience at MAS.
Then disenchantment from terrible quality of Honda led to flirtation with Ciaz (which I repeatedly regret due to questionable ASS & product niggles ). Hence a shift back to Honda. LOL
Need for a family mover led to Toyota(only Japanese option), whose ASS has been flawless till now.

Needless to say only Toyota/Honda will be considered for any future purchase

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Only TWO emoticons allowed per post. Please read the announcements carefully before proceeding.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 7th September 2018 at 13:12. Reason: See note in post
Old 7th September 2018, 13:18   #145
Senior - BHPian

I guess I am. But not a strong one. Given an option, I would go for a car which meets my expectations, regardless of brand. It just so happened that my second car was one such car and the first one was purely bought not looking at the brand, but at my budget at the time and it happened to be the right car for me.

This my desktop at work.
Attached Thumbnails
Are you brand loyal?-fordperformance.png  

Last edited by tharian : 7th September 2018 at 13:20.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 14:38   #146
BHPian

Voted No...Reliable & hassle free After Sales Service is the main driving force behind my car buying decision. Hence it is MSIL all the way.

I have nothing against HCIL or TKML except that their cars are slightly over priced than Maruti. My present car is a CIAZ Alpha AT, which IMHO is the most VFM product in the market today.

Last edited by vijit.gangwar : 7th September 2018 at 14:39. Reason: Small gramatical corrections...sorry
Old 7th September 2018, 17:04   #147
BHPian

Voted No.

A good sensible product makes sense anytime over and above the Brand value. The Value proposition and the desirability factor is not consistent in any brand for a considerable length of time, given how each brand is trying to clone the rival models and cannibalize the sales of its rival.
Old 7th September 2018, 17:39   #148
Senior - BHPian

As far as car goes, we are loyal till now to brand Maruti. Our list of cars in last 25 years goes like this -

M 800
M 800
Omni
Zen
Dzire (still with us)
Ertiga (still with us)

It was not intentional as such. Initially there were not many choices available in market and our budget was really tight, so it was mostly Maruti's. 10 years back, when I bought Dzire, i looked for other suitable choices but didn't find many. Dzire was the best package i got at that time at that price. (5.65 L on Road for Dzire Vxi). Again in 2016, when we bought Ertiga, requirement was strictly of 5+2 seats and affordable car. We had choices of Mobilio & Enjoy mainly, Innova was way out of budget. Ertiga was the only choice which made sense. Now both Mobilio and Enjoy are closed, i am really happy that we made right choice
Old 8th September 2018, 08:57   #149
BHPian

Voted yes considering the series of cars we've owned

1. Maruti 1000 along with Hyundai accent,
2. Esteem,
3. Baleno Altura,
4. 1st generation Swift,
5. 2nd generation Swift

I think I won't be brand loyal henceforth as Maruti didn't have a upgrade to offer in terms of Engine.
Old 8th September 2018, 09:13   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted Yes considering the history of cars we have owned so far.

We did try to switch brands, once with VW, and most recently Hyundai. While Hyundai ownership was something which wasn't so bad, the VW saga was nothing less than a nightmare. After that, we have decided, as long as we reside in Tier 2 city, it has to be either MSIL or Toyota. Nothing else.

For those living in Metros, the aftersales hardly matters. We neither have a good FNG here, nor aftermarket spares option. And when the dealer knows that you are at their mercy, things change for the worse.

But, give me a good quality product with a good aftersales support, and I'll be happy to change the history.

Last edited by Leoshashi : 8th September 2018 at 09:39.
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed