Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Are you brand loyal?
Yes 202 26.27%
No 567 73.73%
Voters: 769. You may not vote on this poll

Old 8th September 2018, 09:55   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Are you brand loyal?

Now we may need to replace three/four cars sometime in 2020 (Euro VI) so may move away from Honda. I have been very happy with the cars, service, etc. But size / moving upmarket may force the change(s). Let us see.
Old 8th September 2018, 09:56   #152
BHPian

Voted NO

Cars we have owned in the past have been the Santro, preowned Accent CRDi(miss this 3cylinder rocket.. Had the whoooosh feeling), Tata Manza and Hyundai Fluidic Verna 1.4D. Currently our garage is occupied by the 4th-gen Honda City, Chevy Beat Diesel and a preowned GT TSI.

After owning multiple cars from the Hyundai family, it definitely gets brownie points while evaluating during a buying process. However, at the end, the final product offering has been paramount in the decision making process.

Last edited by RJ2285 : 8th September 2018 at 09:57. Reason: Typos!
Old 8th September 2018, 16:22   #153
BHPian

In this time and age, as far as the auto industry goes, it does not make sense to be loyal to one brand. But one can always prefer one over another for 1 - 2 reasons..I wouldnt call that loyalty as such! Loyalty is a strong word!

Automakers are collaborating (engines/service centers) and engine tech has improved so much that even a, supposedly, bad brand will have very decent cars!
The ONLY thing that keeps me away from a brand is their after sales service. Nothing else. Other than that its difficult to choose between a 1.8L/1.5L engine of Corolla or a 1.5L of Honda or that sweet diesel from Renault or, obviously, the TSIs... Cars are SOO good today!

Having said that, I would urge people to try and choose Indian brands over others (I know in automotive products its difficult to do that!)! It helps build more trust towards our Local brands. Every country is so proud of their own brands. In auto shows etc, I always hear Americans preferring American cars and British preferring British cars and it'll be awesome for us Indians to think well/talk well about our own products
Old 8th September 2018, 22:39   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
Having said that, I would urge people to try and choose Indian brands over others (I know in automotive products its difficult to do that!)! It helps build more trust towards our Local brands. Every country is so proud of their own brands. In auto shows etc, I always hear Americans preferring American cars and British preferring British cars and it'll be awesome for us Indians to think well/talk well about our own products
Well, maybe it also has something to do with the fact that America and Europe (Britain, Germany & France), have a long history with the invention, improvement and continuous refinement of the automobile. India is simply miles behind in this aspect.

I've nothing against this nation.. I think Indians are great at what they historically were known for - fabrics, a very reasonably priced shirt made in India matches quality and price levels 10X above, and that is impressive. It is because India has experience in this field, I sure as hell won't shop for clothes abroad, their quality is simply horrible for the price.

If by Indian brands you mean TATA & Mahindra, I don't think they have a full enough portfolio that'll satisfy all the buyers.. for one they don't have budget small vehicles, they do not have C segment or D segment sedans, they don't have a proper luxury positioning as yet, either.

I guess trust has to be earned, earned by continuous improvement, research, development and giving the people exactly what they want. Americans praise Honda and Toyota more than their own cars (they also consider them American because they are American made), Europeans love Ford (surprise!) and Honda too and Hyundai is catching up quickly too all over.

As long as people are being employed in a manufacturing or assembly plant in India, be it any brand, it should not be a problem as they contribute substantially to the new money rotation in the country.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 22:54   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Related thread: Tata / Mahindra Car Owners: Did "Patriotism" play a role in your buying decision?
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-decision.html (Tata / Mahindra Car Owners: Did "Patriotism" play a role in your buying decision?)
SmartCat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2018, 02:07   #156

Voted no

We purchased vehicles depending on the current need at the time and each vehicle served its purpose to various degrees. They were replaced as the situation and need keeps on changing. Let me give you a brief idea of our vehicle tree (like family tree) :

Our cars-

1) Mahindra Scorpio (pre-worshiped) wine red gold color (sold due to problems in family)
2) Chevrolet Spark LT (New) white color (sold after company left India and felt the need for bigger car)
3) Maruti Suzuki S Cross (New) Granite Grey (Currently in the family)

Our two wheeler:

1) Hero Honda Splendor (pre-worshiped or may I say thrashed, given the condition in which I received) used for seven and a half years, approximately 70000 km. (Sold with heavy heart)

2) Honda Aviator 1st generation (sold after nine years of usage)

3) Honda CB Unicorn 150 cc (great motorcycle, but sold after getting Classic 500 DS)

4) Royal Infield Classic 500 Desert Storm (recently sold due to reduction in usage, better sell than waste the machine philosophy)

5) TVS Jupiter Standard (New) Sparkling Silver

We have Jupiter and S Cross in our garage at present and our needs are fulfilled with these vehicles.

We tend to look for familiar brand of vehicles when selling off and purchasing a vehicle, but doesn't limit the options just because of Brand name.

1st the need or usage

2nd the budget

3rdservice reputation in my city (yes it differs city wise for the same brand, at least I have seen it myself)

4th is the last and least considered is resale (it is considered, but not over thought as we tend to keep our vehicles for some time and sell off only if the usage reduces)

I did not mean to boast or hurt anybody's feelings, just my two cents, and of course share my feelings regarding these complex machines which are meant to make our life easier and each one is a stellar performer for someone in its own way.

I've scanned this post in spell checker and if some errors occurs, I may need suggestions for better spell checkers.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th September 2018 at 11:20. Reason: Typo.
Old 9th September 2018, 07:35   #157
BHPian

Brand loyal? Yes!

I have been consistently buying Toyota cars since the year 2000.

From Qualis (2000), Corolla (2004), Innova (2009), Corolla Altis (2009), Fortuner (2010), Innova (2015), New Fortuner AT(2018).

Though I have bought every thing from Maruti Alto to the Mercedes GL 350, along with the Toyotas, but the reliability and ease of maintenance of Toyota is awesome.

Though the recent pricing of products says that Toyota India is asking for a hefty premium for the reliability.
Old 9th September 2018, 08:09   #158
BHPian

I have never bought cars of a particular brand again. I have always maintained only one car in the garage.
Mitsubishi Lancer
Tata Safari
Toyota Fortuner
BMW 330i GT M-Sport
Old 9th September 2018, 10:47   #159
Senior - BHPian

Voted 'No'.
Even though I like certain brands like Subaru and Volvo, it is because of the cars they build. If other car makers build similar cars, I may buy one of those (if I can afford ) as well.
But brands assure certain things (because of the image that has been built over yeas) . I was about book a un-launched Hyundai hatchback even when the details are fuzzy because I am guaranteed about certain level assurance about the design, build quality and reliability.
Old 9th September 2018, 10:51   #160
BHPian

I think I am not loyal to any brand, be it for car or for anything else. But somehow, I have a tendency to avoid the most popular or the most obvious choices. For example, my smartphone is not from Apple or Samsung, newspaper is not TOI, home appliances are not from Samsung or LG, cars are not from Maruti. In a hypothetical situation if I buy a sub four meter SUV, it will not be a Brezza. Likewise in case of a compact SUV it will not be a Creta.
I have voted no.
Old 9th September 2018, 11:04   #161
BHPian

Voted NO

Would have voted Yes if Honda was still the company it was in the early 2000s and their vehicles were specced to match the exorbitant price Honda demands.
Honda has been a disappointment with only one best seller - City. Maybe we can throw in the new Amaze in the mix too because of its sales numbers in Aug.
Where is the Creta killer.
The company has been here for so long and takes ages to bring a decent rival to the Creta is a company that is simply not too bothered with sales here.

Quote:
Having said that, I would urge people to try and choose Indian brands over others
Most Indian consumers do not share that sentiment going by monthly sales figures and this holds true for most white goods too.
Since most of us are paying good money to buy vehicles and other white goods, we expect a level of quality and reliability that sadly our homegrown products do not inspire.
If I have to pay Rs 20 lakhs for a Marazzo, I would push up my budget and go in for Crysta blindly because at that price point, I do not wish to be a pioneering fool and have Mahindra use me as a guinea pig.

Last edited by Ithaca : 9th September 2018 at 11:11. Reason: Grammar, Language, Spacing
Old 9th September 2018, 11:14   #162
BHPian

Voted NO.

I might become one in near future to VAG (non-luxury segment). I usually don't trust any brand blindly. However after a good long-term experience with a product of particular brand, I give a few extra brownie points to that brand during my next purchase decision. So until & unless there is any disruptive product by some other brand within the same price range, I will stick to the brand.

For example, I have been using a OnePlus for more than 3 years now; extremely happy with it. So chances are very high that my next phone would a OnePlus (unless some other brand offers much much better product within the same price range). Similar is the case with my Jetta MK6, I would definitely lean towards VW/Skoda cars during my next purchase.

On contrary, if I get burnt by a brand, chances are very less that I would buy a product from them again; no matter how good/VFM the product is.
Old 9th September 2018, 11:15   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruba_Nazira View Post
I think I am not loyal to any brand, be it for car or for anything else. But somehow, I have a tendency to avoid the most popular or the most obvious choices. For example, my smartphone is not from Apple or Samsung, newspaper is not TOI, home appliances are not from Samsung or LG, cars are not from Maruti. In a hypothetical situation if I buy a sub four meter SUV, it will not be a Brezza. Likewise in case of a compact SUV it will not be a Creta.
I have voted no.
I have been following this thread, but you sir, have spoken my mind. For me also, it works in a similar fashion. Old Baleno, Fiat Palio, 1st gen Swift, Tata Zest, Ford Fiesta. These are the cars I have owned in last 10-12 years.
For cars, I see what fits my requirements. Maintaining a car and investing my time and money into it is kind of thing I am really comfortable with, this gives me the flexibility of going out of usual Maruti/Hyundai/Honda way.
In essence, I go the "aam junta" way for things I can't be bothered much about, like a washing machine or a vacuum-cleaner. But for my cars and my phones, it is usually a product people won't buy usually.
Old 9th September 2018, 21:20   #164
BHPian

Not at all.

Brand loyalty is a double edged sword these days. On the upside you might end up building good connection with dealer/s and ASS guys and have an easy time with your car. Plus you might get better exchange value for your car should you choose to upgrade. On the flipside, one might get blind towards the negative changes of the brand and its products and not give the competition, who might have a way better car and improving ASS, a shot. So worshipping brands is a big no no for me.
Avikbrio is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 14:26   #165
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Answered No.

I Was, brand loyal, till a decade ago, to Maruti. Infact, more than me, my family/parents were.
Anything other than a Maruti did not even warrant a second opinion. A new car in the house meant only and only Maruti. Right from the Maruti 800 (Carb) to WagonR F10 D and a WagonR K10B, Marutis is what my parents always bought.

However all changed when i went with a Chevrolet (Spark) and a Hyundai (Xcent P) and family also experimented with a Datsun (GO).
Though i must admit, none of these brands gave us the same kind of reliability and peace of mind as the Maruti did, but in most other areas like build quality, the cars felt better than their Maruti counterparts.

Circa 2018, i am with a TATA now (Tigor) and touchwood, the going has been smooth so far.
Will i be brand loyal to TATA and will my next car be a TATA again ? Well i never know, i will always go for the brand of whose product i find most suitable to my needs at that point of time. So i cannot comment about future. But going by the TATA lineup in the next 2-3 years, i might just go for another TATA (perhaps the Harrier ) as and when the time is ripe to replace my current ride.

Till then, No, i am not a brand loyalist (and neither a fanboy ).

Last edited by DCEite : 14th September 2018 at 14:27.

Most Viewed