View Poll Results: Are you brand loyal?
Yes 202 26.27%
No 567 73.73%
Voters: 769. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th September 2018, 18:23   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Are you brand loyal?

Not blindly loyal.

When I am happy with the performance, reliability and service of my existing car, I reciprocate by advising others to buy that car and also give positive reviews about the company.

But while buying next car, I stay with the brand only if their new product meets my new requirements and all criteria.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 19:02   #167
Senior - BHPian

Loyalty in this time and age?

Very unlikely.

I have only owned one car till now and I must say I am pretty satisfied with the experience. My car has been reliable for the last eight years and since reliability is a virtue that I value a lot, I could perhaps stay with Maruti for my next purchase too.

That I am using the word perhaps instead of absolutely is, I think, a sign of changing times and mindsets.

If any other manufacturer can match the VFM proposition that Maruti currently offers, I would have no hesitation in shifting my shopping destination. The products available in the market today are distinct in that they all cater to a specific requirement of a section of buyers. No two cars from different brands are similar and hence, except in certain cases, there aren't offerings that could justify an apple to apple comparison. Hence, loyalty isn't an emotion that I would associate with car purchase.

Having said that, in instances like purchasing a car for my parents for example, I would still stay with Maruti. Peace of mind is a service that the brand has excelled in.
Old 15th September 2018, 12:04   #168
BHPian

Voted No.

Although, recent purchase history indicates a strong preference to MSIL (3 out of past 5 cars is a Maruti). The reason for the purchase was not so much the brand loyalty, but more on reliability, cost effectiveness and ease of service.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 10:52   #169
BANNED

No offense meant to any one.
The way posts are written here is analogous to people saying, "I don't believe palmistry" but when some "A" says, I know how to read hands and predict future, same People show their hands to "Test" the knowledge of "A"

I repeat, no offense to anyone. But, the question is simple, Are you brand loyal? There are only two scenarios

A. If you have have a car of Brand X and for whatever reason, if you "feel" that your next car will be "most likely" be from same brand, it means that you are brand loyal.

B. f you have have a car of Brand X and for whatever reasons, if you "feel" that your next car will be "most likely" NOT from same brand, it means that you are NOT brand loyal.

This is purely my opinion. The answer to this question should come from heart rather than brain. If we put our brain to work, it will start justifying the reasons for why they are NOT brand loyal.

I have put only my heart to work and it has said, "Yes" I am brand loyal.
gkveda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2018, 02:20   #170
BHPian

I'm not sure if this counts as brand loyalty as much as brand image, but my father has always been of the thought of always "having one Mercedes in the house".

And on that note, since I was looking for a fun weekend car, the Panamera now has a new garage mate.

Are you brand loyal?-sadfg.jpg
Old 21st September 2018, 11:50   #171
BHPian

My purchase history since 2006 when i bought my first car:
Maruti swift
Fiat palio stile 1.6
Skoda octavia vrs
Tata safari
Fiat punto
Mitsubishi pajero sport
Kawasaki ninja 650
Renault koleos
Mitsubishi outlander
Kawasaki zx14r
Toyota etios

So, safe to conclude that i am not brand loyal at all. But, this is also a result of the facts that i love automobiles, i am self driven, they arent just point A to B vehicles for me. So, i am willing to buy products on their merits and also willing to put in more efforts, energy and even more money in their upkeep as long as they are my personal vehicles.

But, when it comes to choosing vehicles for my company purpose where the vehicles will be mostly chauffeur driven, i have seen myself leaning towards particularly dependant, long lasting and hassle free products offered by the brands like Toyota as seen in my recent purchase of Etios.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 21st September 2018 at 11:58.
Old 21st September 2018, 14:32   #172
Senior - BHPian

My father is brand loyal. His first 3 cars were all Ambassadors. Then he very switched (very reluctantly) to Maruti 20 years ago and has stayed with the brand through multiple purchases. He refuses to consider other brands or finds flaws with them when they are suggested to him.

My brother's first car was a Fiat Uno, which he used for a decade before switching to a Fiat Linea. He still primarily uses the Linea, although he also has a Figo as a second car.

One big reason why my first car was a Punto was my liking for the Uno over my father's Marutis. Now, I am on my second Skoda. When I chose the first one, the primary requirement was space and the Octavia was the most VFM in my budget. When it was time to change the car, family was in favour of a compact SUV and Karoq was the one with least compromises. So, I would like to think that I have got two Skodas as a result of intelligent decision making, but who knows? Maybe I am brand loyal after all, given that brand loyalty runs in the family.
Old 21st September 2018, 16:31   #173
Senior - BHPian

All our four cars are Hondas. Civic AT, City V, Amaze V, Brio AT. Now after 2019 (2020 or so for BS-VI) we may change one or more. We have been quite happy with service, quality etc.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 00:28   #174
BHPian

I thought I was brand loyal, 2 Chevrolet hatches Spark LT & Beat Diesel LT(O) in 3 years. But with GM exiting, I've taken a hit on resale and service.

Played safe this time round and bought the segment best seller rather than the best fit to my needs.
Old 6th October 2018, 04:21   #175
BHPian

I am not brand loyal. With the kind of response I am getting for my Nissan here in US with respect to customer care, I will switch over to Toyota/Lexus or Honda/Acura stable next time if I am in market here in US. Even though my Altima is reliable car overall, I am not liking it anymore and would like to change. Infact, I started hating all the Nissan cars except the GTR.

And I would be inclined to go for the Tata Harrier if it is priced correctly in the market. Else will stick to Maruti/Hyundai SUV next time. Hopefully Maruti will launch S-Cross/Brezza in petrol avatar. In India, I will not touch a Bajaj two wheeler except the Dominor may be. I will go with Yamaha in two wheeler.
Old 6th October 2018, 05:30   #176
BHPian

I always try to look at options from a brand that I donít own when purchasing a new car - the only exception has been Fiat as its cars have been so good and compelling.

Daewoo Matiz - liked the build, but hated the inadequate power with AC on
Fiat Siena 1.6 petrol - was a great car and never disappointed
Swift diesel - while I liked the engine and handling, I was never comfortable with its build/safety or its ride quality. Made me biased against Maruti as a brand
Fiat Linea Tjet - my second Fiat and just couldnít resist the purchase
BMW X3 30d - my first premium car experience and things have been great so far.
Hyundai Tucson - well built, butter smooth and powerful. Occasionally makes me feel that the x3 at more than twice the price is just not worth it

If I get a chance to buy another car, I would definitely look at an innovative brand like Tesla if and when it comes to India
Old 12th December 2018, 08:23   #177
BHPian

No.

I was (probably still am) a Tata fan. Here in the US i drove the 2018 Ford Explorer rental. What a car. This is the one that I took pictures with, wanted to interact with ..etc. Was pretty much loaded. Going at close to triple digit speeds and still had the right gear at the right rpm though it was only a 6speed.
Maybe I am inexperienced but i did not know that's how good an Ecoboost equipped Explorer was.
Then drove a Ford Focus. DCT. It wasnt as nice as the explorer but i still liked it .
Sometime later drove a Corolla 2018 model with lane keep assist, adaptive radar, etc. liked it as well. Maybe its time to move past the Tata brand and try out other brands , atleast here in the US.
Old 12th December 2018, 08:44   #178
BHPian

I won't say brand-loyal but yes I am a little biased towards Tata. But not in the strictest terms, meaning that if I am out shopping and another OEM's product is significantly better than Tata's in my price range, I'll probably buy the former. However, if there are only a few differences (that are relatively inconsequential to me like sunroof, AT, voice alerts, minor ergonomic discrepancies), I'd go for a Tata product. Ride quality, handling and space - new age Tatas get it all and that's what matters to me, most.

I loved my Indica Xeta as it discharged its duties perfectly without complaining and had to sell it only because I wanted to upgrade. And I am happy with my Nexon thus far.
Old 12th December 2018, 09:14   #179
BHPian

More than being brand loyal I am more country loyal. I am loyal to the Indian car manufacturers from the time TATA started making cars, from 2003 onward.
Between Mahindra and TATA I have been favouring the later since I prefer little more subtle designs of theirs than Mahindra's. Yes, I do know that they were not upto the mark in terms of quality when compared with the Japanese and Koreans. But if I do not support the efforts of my own country's manufacturers how else can they grow? I am happy that today the difference in terms of performance, design, reliability and fit finish is very close and they have caught up with the multinationals.
Old 12th December 2018, 09:47   #180
BHPian

Voted No.
I will buy whatever car makes sense to me, immaterial of the badge.

However, my father is brand averse. He will not buy cars from certain brands (Tata, Fiat, Ford, VW) no matter what. This is more due to the reputation that these brands have built over time and i don't blame him for this. He is in the market for a C-SUV and is considering only SCross, Brezza, Creta and the WRV, I hope to make him give Tata another chance.
Mukund is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed