View Poll Results: Are you brand loyal?
Yes 212 25.45%
No 621 74.55%
Voters: 833. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2018, 14:16   #91
BANNED

Re: Are you brand loyal?

Have owned Maruti, Hyundai, Ford, Fiat, Honda, make vehicles in the last 30 years. Only Maruti branded ones multiple times, but that was more owing to necessity or merit of that particular type of vehicle, rather than loyalty.
But, once I buy one, I tend to remain loyal to that brand till the vehicle is with me.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 14:18   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

It's very difficult to be loyal to a brand when it comes to buying cars. The requirements, budget, age of the buyer, cyclical nature of car launches and tech updates, etc are vastly different during each purchase. It's not as simple as buying Nike shoes all my life. In fact, except for cars, I am very loyal to brands and often worry about my favourite brands going out of business.
Old 5th September 2018, 14:20   #93
BHPian

Voted No. Although I own a Fiat Punto and everytime I drive it puts a big smile on my face, my crush on other cars from other brands keep changing. These days I am just smitten by the new Ecosport-S. Prior to this I was in love with a new Verna AT.

Ask me what my next car is going to be? I have no clue
Old 5th September 2018, 14:21   #94
BHPian

On the contrary, can we also have a poll for "Are you brand averse?"

Voted No here, but have voted Yes for the averse one. A bad experience will obviously leave a person averse to the brand, similar to how you would never even taste the food that you did not like, once. Would not take brand names here, but there have been bad experiences where I would not buy a specific brand's car unless I see their car's quality (how they age) and service costs say 5 years down the line after a new launch.
Old 5th September 2018, 14:35   #95

I am admittedly not brand loyal, but I voted yes. I would blame the manufacturers + ASS combo for my vote.

I am loyal to Toyota in India just because of other manufacturers incapabilities to provide global portfolios products and services in India. In some way, I am loyal to Ford as well due to their build quality, driving dynamics and their service network in our area.

My Loyalty :
2014 Toyota Innova----Replaced by Fortuner in 2017.
2009 Ford IKON----Replaced by Ford Ecosport in 2018.
Old 5th September 2018, 14:49   #96
BHPian

My first car was made by TATA. The Second one is made by Maruti. The third one….. Well God knows.

My first car (A 2009, Vista Safire Aura BSIII) was quite notorious of sudden breakdowns and component failures and required expensive repair and maintenance. Vista though was a good car of its time; I believe it was just an odd copy that I laid my hands upon. With increase in family size, cargo space was another area that I started seeing later as matter of concern. The need was for something reliable and with a boot (3 box), thus prompting me to stretch my neck over to other manufacturers.

Ciaz, my present ride has been serving diligently without any issues and going by the way it stands today; it seems to continue serving me trouble free for quite long.

When it comes to my next upgrade or an addition, the need will be extended from mere reliability and boot space to something much more. My decision, at that time, would be dependent on my revised requirements, the market dynamics and product standings. All these things are much beyond mere brand loyalty and the emotions attached with it.

Hence voted "No"

Last edited by King_pin09 : 5th September 2018 at 14:51.
Old 5th September 2018, 15:06   #97

I voted YES. Most cars i have owned have been Toyotas' and they have never let me down so far.
If it ain't broke, why fix it?
Kamran Mohsin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 15:11   #98
BHPian

No. Not brand loyal. I do have brand aversion. I may use their product in places where customer protection is top notch.
Old 5th September 2018, 15:19   #99
BHPian

I voted No.

I do not believe in brand loyalty. Simply for the reason that, manufacturers are not doing any charity. This holds true for not just cars, but electronic gadgets or any product that I use. If I get feeling that brand is taking me for granted, I will be the first person to ditch it even though I might have good prior experience.

Having said this, I definitely believe in loyalty & maintaining good relations with the service provider. In the past, I did not mind traveling a long distance to get any service even though there was an alternative closer to my home.
Old 5th September 2018, 15:20   #100
BHPian

Voted YES. Currently own 3 Honda's and wouldnt mind replacing them with Honda provided only if the fun to drive Honda's were back and the company stopped skimping on power and quality.

The other brand i am loyal to could be Toyota but toyota's are becoming too expensive to purchase.
Old 5th September 2018, 15:26   #101
BHPian

The last cars we owned were Wagon-R, Fusion, Honda City (2nd generation), Fiesta, Palio, Ecosport and Endeavour. Even though there are lot Fords in the list, that could be just mere coincidental. For instance, with the last buy (Endeavor), we booked Tata Hexa and waiting for it to launch and then, Endeavor came up with a mouth watering offer of 8 lakh discount, which forced us to extend our budget and pulled us towards Ford again.
Old 5th September 2018, 15:28   #102

I vote No, I think it should be the other way around, IMO instead of customers being loyal to Brands; Brands need to be loyal to customer. We are unable to find it from any Brands even though India is growing in automobile industry.
Old 5th September 2018, 15:41   #103
Team-BHP Support

Loyal or averse to any brand – answer is no for both. There are some brands which I like over others, but not the extent that I have to ignore a competent product from brand B and go for a model from brand A just because of I like the latter.
I may not like Maruti Suzuki as a brand, but if I have to buy practical hatchback under 15 lakhs, I will give the S-cross a serious consideration. Similarly Skoda maybe notorious in many ways, but if I am in the market for a sporty sedan or a practical crossover, my pick will be the Octavia RS or the Kodiaq.

In other words, the product matters more than the brand.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 15:51   #104
Senior - BHPian

Voted Yes, as some attributes which matter to the OEM, matter to me as well. Yes, I refer to VAG and their understated design, engineering attention to detail and performance. As long as those attributes hold good, I would tilt towards their brands.

It also helps that one can go up the food chain and still find something interesting within VAG
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 15:58   #105
Senior - BHPian

When brands are not loyal to customer and there is absolutely no effort by brands to retain / keep customer happy (in most of the cases); the exercise of talking about brand loyalty is redundant / futile.

The companies who take care of their customers (to whatever extent) are able to get some bias in terms of decision making for next purchase and that's about it. Other aspect could be about the spread of options offered by a manufacturer (say Maruti) which ensures footfall from prospective buyers.

Loyalty is not even left for product differentiator like "apple / iPhone / Mac". Decisions are changed / made at the drop of a hat.

I think it's the product that speaks and establishes itself in 80 - 90% of cases. The brand is only responsible for creating initial interest among buyers.

Even the industry leaders have started saying that "Brand Recall" is reducing in today's market place.

Last edited by i74js : 5th September 2018 at 16:00.

Most Viewed