Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2018, 20:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford EcoSport petrol variants recalled

Ford has recalled the petrol variants of the EcoSport to update the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) software.

Ford EcoSport petrol variants recalled-2017fordecosport02.jpg

A total of 7,249 units of the compact SUV manufactured between November 2017 and March 2018 have been affected by this recall. According to the company, the software update will prevent issues such as sudden deceleration and battery drainage.

Owners of vehicles that are affected by this recall will receive a notification from Ford via email or post. Owners can also check if their vehicles come under the recall by entering the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on this website.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 7th September 2018 at 20:37.
TusharK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 21:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport petrol variants recalled

My heart skipped a beat after reading the headline. Breathed a sigh of relief after reading the manufacturing interval!

This is the second recall of the facelift model, isn't it? It is really annoying to the owners when the vehicle spends some time in the service center for no fault of theirs. I hope Ford rectifies all the issues beforehand to avoid further recalls like these that can further damage their fragile reputation.
Old 8th September 2018, 08:40   #3
BHPian

Mine is in this lot and have got the recall mail. But I am not worried yet. Will try to schedule an appointment and see how it goes.
Old 8th September 2018, 13:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
This is the second recall of the facelift model, isn't it? It is really annoying to the owners when the vehicle spends some time in the service center for no fault of theirs. I hope Ford rectifies all the issues beforehand to avoid further recalls like these that can further damage their fragile reputation.
My car is in the list of cars being recalled. There is nothing to worry.

I will be going down tomorrow to have the software updated.

Manufacturers recalling vehicles is a good sign that they are constantly improving and doing checks at their own end. It's better to be proactive rather than reactive.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th September 2018, 19:18   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj_joseph78 View Post
Mine is in this lot and have got the recall mail. But I am not worried yet. Will try to schedule an appointment and see how it goes.
Came back after ECM update. Took 2 hours due to low internet speeds, no discernable difference in the drive. The ford app mentions that recall is for tightening the timing belt.
manoj_joseph78 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 10:02   #6
BHPian

I too received email from Ford India on 7th September stating mine is one of the affected vehicle. I'm happy that they could figure out the issue since I've already reported battery drain issue earlier. I'm planing to schedule appointment with Sabarmati Ford this week and hopefully the issue would be laid to rest once for all.
Old 5th October 2018, 14:17   #7
BHPian

Copy of a letter I received from Ford regarding this recall:
Attached Thumbnails
Ford EcoSport petrol variants recalled-ford1.jpg  

Ford EcoSport petrol variants recalled-ford.jpg  

RS90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well, mine is a June 2018 manufactured Ecosport but I am also getting the same error. Powertrain malfunction error. Already I had the ECU flashed once in August and the error is showing up again. I believe the problem is not limited to only a limited batch of cars, it must be a widespread issue. It seems to be limited to the 1.5 Dragon engine (which is mine).

Bad part - it stalled twice on NH 4 in front of the Bitwise office yesterday. Thankfully there were no vehicles behind me. Then it went into limp mode. Waited for a few minutes and it started again normally, albeit the check engine light remaining on.

I have scheduled the appointment again tomorrow for flashing the ECU again. Let's see how it goes.
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 13:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Bad part - it stalled twice on NH 4 in front of the Bitwise office yesterday. Thankfully there were no vehicles behind me. Then it went into limp mode. Waited for a few minutes and it started again normally, albeit the check engine light remaining on.
The drawbacks of too much electronics! An old-school engine would never just stall unless something was mechanically off. It always gives me the creeps when software glitches cause mechanical malfunctions in machines. Gives me the Terminator dreams!

That's my daily route to home too. Quite a tricky one due to constant crests and troughs due to hills, subways & crossings between sus road & Baner junctions. People drive quite dangerously in that stretch to maintain momentum. Really good that there was nobody behind you & you were able to manage everything safely.

I suggest you just tell the issue & symptoms. Don't tell them to do an ECU flash. Let them check more. In case there are any malfunctions elsewhere like spark plug tuning etc - its better if they find it. Now a days suggesting something to the A-S-S staff is a bit counter-productive. They take the easy out hatch, just do what we tell & print the bill in that case. May not uncover all issues in that case. Keep us posted!
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 20:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to post a reply here. They did flash the ECU once again in October and the problem disappeared for a month or so. It has then re-surfaced intermittently every 20-25 days. After flashing the ECU, the car does not stall, only the Check Engine light appears and the "See Manual" message appears on the dashboard.

The strange part is that the problem is resolved after shutting down and then starting up the engine again after a minute. While the check engine light stays on, the car drives normally. After repeating the shut down/start up cycle for two to three times, the check engine light disappears and the car behaves very normally.

Currently, I am pulling on as it is; but I am unsure of whether to keep going back to them or to let it be as it can be said to be a niggle and the car keeps driving normally even though the check engine light may or may not be on. No other problems noticed apart from this minor niggle.

The car in question has just completed 9,000 kms a few days back. It's a petrol Titanium 1.5 L variant.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 20th December 2019 at 20:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks