Team-BHP - August 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   August 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/201682-august-2018-indian-car-sales-figures-analysis-3.html)

Interestingly, Honda City is not even in the top 25 (Verna with its much needed
uplift managing to remain in the list).
The other interesting thing I notice is the fact that without any major facelift/update the Brezza has continued to climb up (almost thrice when compared to the frequently and recently updated EcoSport)
Ignis sales go down, overpriced a tad bit?

Good to see M&M and Tata picking up pace. Tata has the momentum going now, then need to quickly launch the premium hatch, that's what will get them numbers to move up, I guess the Harrier will still be a ~1-3k unit per month model based on its price. SUMO and Safari revamp might help consolidate their position.

Mahindra has a decent except for the quirky KUV. New launches look promising too.

When local manufacturers up their game the international counterparts will try hard to catch up as well, end result the consumer is benefitted. Saw the same phenomenon when Bajaj started aggressively bringing out more powerful bikes with each iteration of the Pulsar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPARKled (Post 4458726)
The spurt in Ciaz sales could be test vehicle dispatches, so I doubt if we will see such numbers consistently.

Even then I feel it's a huge number. A quick google search showed around 300 Nexa outlets across the country. Let's assume every outlet orders 3 cars for test drive purposes (petrol MT, petrol AT and diesel MT) and about 3 vehicles for display/color options the number is around 2000 or so (rounded off). That's still nearly twice as much as City's dispatches.

Crazy market we live in! I feel Maruti will sell as much even if they decide to remove the roof for weight reduction stupid:

Good 3-way fight between TATA, M&M and Honda for the Top 3 spot(this might change month on month). Toyota too could have been there almost if they had priced the yaris sensibly, who knows they might just reach the top by swallowing Maruti some day

Soaring fuel price is making people revisit the "kitna deti hai" question. The numero uno position of Alto is indicating the same.

For pure play city runs, Alto still makes sense for many of the buyers either as their first purchase or a beater car for anything and everything.

Suzuki-Toyota "Baleno Hybrid" will be a game changer which will not only serve the premium hatchback segment but also meet the fuel economy expectations of the buyers. I doubt if i20 will really stay the way it is selling now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4458650)
One key takeway from those charts looking at top models - You can't call it old or boring or "same" to buy if you give me something that is either face-lifted or re-platformed and revamped and not only keep the USPs same but try to make the shortcomings better in subsequent models and keep adding features.

True indeed, which Maruti and Hyundai has shown how to keep the products selling by bringing regular updates, refreshes and new generations. Other than these two OEMs, only 3 other cars from different OEMs were managed to do that - Bolero, Innova and City, all three carved out a space as a sub-brand themselves within their brands.

Tata slowly getting back into the game now! And this is not a good news to pretty much every brand out there except for Maruti (it is way far ahead). Tata usually is associated with same attributes that Maruti is - Cheap, easy to maintain outside the Authorized SC's. Usually hold up well (minor rattles and issues can be ignored - just as in a maruti), good fuel efficiency, and an engine that usually goes well past the use-by date.

For general public, esp at the lower end of the market, Tata may not be that much of a mental block as the mid-to-higher segment customers. Tata is working on that front too (which adds to the brand Halo, as an OEM which can make "relatively" luxurious cars too).

Things looking good for Tata for sure.

Fantastic numbers of Amaze. IMHO the new Brio is going to do equally well. I can easily see it doing 5k plus monthly.

My only grouse is with the BRV. Only if it did not remind me of the Mobilio it would have been an aspirational vehicle from Honda.

When was the last time ford touched or exceeded 10k. With any combination of offerings they seem to always average around 7-8k!

If on the day of the launch of the Nano, someone had told us that there would be a day when Tata' s most expensive offering would outsell the Nano 50 times over, we all would have fallen off our chairs laughing.

That's the sad reality of the car that promised big but delivered little. Guess its time Tata pulled the plug on this one , or relaunch it as a pure electric to compete with the Reva.

Toyota had a good chance with the Yaris but blew it big time with the pricing. I say, why not stop the diesel on Altis and plonk it in to Yaris? With a fuel efficient diesel, I think the Yaris can at least double its last month figures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by octane_100 (Post 4460192)
Toyota had a good chance with the Yaris but blew it big time with the pricing. I say, why not stop the diesel on Altis and plonk it in to Yaris? With a fuel efficient diesel, I think the Yaris can at least double its last month figures.

I think its the absurd price difference between each variants. Approx 1.3 lakhs difference between J and G variant. How any one can take a rational decision about moving to higher variant when the price difference is so high.
If we look at this segment, the only car which has justifiable pricing between the variants is Maruti Suzuki Ciaz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehighwayman (Post 4460166)
If on the day of the launch of the Nano, someone

I think what may be wrong with Nano may be the design. TATA should try re launching it with a different design and a different name. Current design is too cutesy and unconventional. And people identify with the design as a cheap car. It is otherwise a competent product.

There is new interest in TATA now. I am sure in a new Avatar there will be takers for this car.

Looks like the efforts TATA put in on their new cars are paying off. The Tiago and Nexon numbers are very impressive.

All TATA need to do now is improve their sales and after sales experience. Will go a long way in improving those numbers and will definitely bring back customers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKTRACK (Post 4460457)
I think what may be wrong with Nano may be the design. TATA should try re launching it with a different design and a different name. Current design is too cutesy and unconventional. And people identify with the design as a cheap car. It is otherwise a competent product.

There is new interest in TATA now. I am sure in a new Avatar there will be takers for this car.

Tata was desperately looking for a turnaround strategy and a bread winner entry level car. Tiago has served this very purpose; more so it does not look like "made to cost" whereas Nano on the other side is a "made to cost" car.

Upcoming crash worthiness and Euro VI emission norms will pose further challenge to Nano. It will be a futile exercise to even think of revival of Nano ! :deadhorse

I was wondering if and when are we going to see an Isuzu on the horizon. What's going right/wrong out there.

I remain on the road for atleast two hours everyday, majority being on the highway. Travel also takes me past showroom of all car companies daily so I cannot help but have some observations vis a vis what come through stats here and what's the ground situation. Some glaring ones that come to mind are:-

- Sale of all models is not uniform across our national geographies, for eg Wagon R, Tiago, Jazz and Kwid are not popular here at all, hardly visible on road.

- Downfall of Jeep was visible just a month or two after launch, it was rush and virtual emptiness of the showroom as was the case of Rapid some months ago.

- No malice there, but seems like downfall of Amaze has commenced, visibility of new registrations has reduced.

- New Swift not really a hit here, Dzire is the chosen option.

- I think a large percentage of total sale of T Fort and Endy is made around here as were BRV and WRV.

- Few months ahead of its closure, only Chevy Optra selling in the country was in this area.

I feel only Hyundai has a uniform sale across India on all its models.