Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2018, 23:20   #1
Senior - BHPian

Renault-Nissan plant in Chennai offering VRS (Voluntary Retirement) to employees

Received the following from a source in Renault Nissan Chennai plant (RNAIPL).

Employee Voluntary Separation Scheme, 2018

Is Renault Nissan going GM way ??

With group sales in India falling below 10k and only support being exports, does seem like that.

Renault-Nissan plant in Chennai offering VRS (Voluntary Retirement) to employees-rnaipl.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 11th September 2018 at 09:58. Reason: Adding watermark
AutoNoob is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 02:18   #2
BHPian

re: Renault-Nissan plant in Chennai offering VRS (Voluntary Retirement) to employees

Now I can't be the only one who read VRS and jumped and thought that GM is gifting Octavia VRS to employees.
So Mitsubishi is handled by Renault in India? I guess Nissan is existing, a good move.
Now Renault should focus and maybe market the new Pajero.
Doge is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 06:28   #3
BHPian

re: Renault-Nissan plant in Chennai offering VRS (Voluntary Retirement) to employees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Now I can't be the only one who read VRS and jumped and thought that GM is gifting Octavia VRS to employees.
+1. Click bait! VRS keyword itself gives goosebumps
purohitanuj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 08:14   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by purohitanuj View Post
+1. Click bait! VRS keyword itself gives goosebumps
For not even a second I thought of this twist while posting.

Request to Mods : please modify the title accordingly to avoid any further vRS shock.
AutoNoob is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 08:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Nissan plant in Chennai offering VRS (Voluntary Retirement) to employees; going GM way ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
For not even a second I thought of this twist while posting.

Request to Mods : please modify the title accordingly to avoid any further vRS shock.
Thread title updated.

These motorheads, I tell you !!!
Eddy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 08:59   #6
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Nissan plant in Chennai offering VRS (Voluntary Retirement) to employees; going the GM w

We casually talk about how Renault-Nissan should just quit India given their half-hearted efforts in our market. But it is when things come down to such announcements that you realize the magnitude of the decision. Feel sorry for the employees, this development will create tremendous uncertainty in the company.

Also, "Early Bird Offer"?! How horribly condescending is that. Highlights an utter lack of empathy.
libranof1987 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 09:27   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Nissan plant in Chennai offering VRS (Voluntary Retirement) to employees; going the GM w

Gentlemen, Nissan is just cutting some flab in assembly plant - they are not shutting down.

Nissan to hire 1,500 in R&D, digital hub but will cut jobs in manufacturing
https://www.thehindubusinessline.com...le24884942.ece

Quote:
We are also going to offer a voluntary departure for excess people in areas where we don’t require,” he said without disclosing exact numbers. It will be all ‘voluntary’ and no employee will be forced by any means.
Quote:
He said the company has made the mistake of underestimating the need for sales network, but going forward Nissan is looking to double its sales and service touch points in the next three years from 270 at present. On future products, he said Nissan will bring the best of its worldwide line-up to India, building on its technological leadership in electrification and connected cars.
SmartCat is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:07   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault-Nissan plant in Chennai offering VRS (Voluntary Retirement) to employees

This is just trimming the fat & reducing costs. Let's not jump to conclusions. Tata has too offered VRS to its employees in the recent past.

The Renault group has good cumulative sales in India. That said, in my personal opinion, they should just let Nissan retire. It's a damaged brand. I believe the upcoming Kicks is their last & final shot at the market. If the Kicks doesn't click, Japanese bosses will be looking at tough options for Nissan India.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:34   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault-Nissan plant in Chennai offering VRS (Voluntary Retirement) to employees

Cars sold by the alliance in August 2018:

Renault: 6557
Nissan: 530
Datsun: 2578
Mitsubishi: 0

Total : 9665
Market share: 3.4% (7th position)

IMO they should snip all redundant and overlapping models and retain the following in their portfolio:

Datsun: RediGo (aim this at the budget / value market)
Renault: Duster (updated), Kwid (upgrade and position this as a step up from RediGo), a supermini, a capable sedan (Keep Renault as the main brand with consistent sellers)
Nissan: Fold the brand (No use keeping a overlapping portfolio, maybe have the GTR as an option to be imported as a CBU)
Mitsubishi: a big SUV, maybe the new Pajero at competitive prices?

Also, all of these models should be sold under one roof from a multibrand dealership so that the buyer has choices once he walks in.

Last edited by blackasta : 11th September 2018 at 10:37.
blackasta is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 10:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Renault group has good cumulative sales in India. That said, in my personal opinion, they should just let Nissan retire. It's a damaged brand. I believe the upcoming Kicks is their last & final shot at the market. If the Kicks doesn't click, Japanese bosses will be looking at tough options for Nissan India.
Yes, if the Kicks doesn't kick other rivals in the market, nissan should be kicked out by the parent company. They should learn a thing or two from Fiat. The parent company is not doing great in Indian market but Jeep clicked.

My view, speed up the process of Mitusbishi in India and start with a bang. Xpander, Eclipse, Delica, Lancer are good brands to come to India. For that matter, even Mirage or EK Wagon should do decent numbers.
amtak is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 11:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Renault group has good cumulative sales in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Cars sold by the alliance in August 2018:

Renault: 6557
Nissan: 530
Datsun: 2578
Mitsubishi: 0

Total : 9665
Market share: 3.4% (7th position)
Agree with both your comments, however, they are a little too dependent on the Kwid (5541 units in Aug '18), and that is a tricky position to be in. The Kwid's volumes are at about 50% of what they were closer to its launch. For me, there are also unanswered questions (referring to the earlier crash test debacle) about what measures Renault will take to make the Kwid compliant with Bharat Stage VI safety norms, and what effect that would have on its pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
. For that matter, even Mirage or EK Wagon should do decent numbers.
I have had the (mis)fortune of driving a Mirage once in the States. I for one, would love for that car to remain true to its name .
Amartya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 11:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

The VRS offer is pretty decent for the industry.

Chennai has a HUGE automobile sector and hence finding jobs elsewhere may not be a big problem.

But usually, the HR team will try to let go newer recruits and folks at lower pay levels first to minimize the VRS outgo. The rest will then start feeling the work pressure once the VRS folks leave and quit on their own without a VRS. This is the typical model to cut flab. Its part of a capitalistic model. No point in finding fault with it.

Last edited by narayan : 11th September 2018 at 11:27.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 13:45   #13
BHPian

@autonoob: Not to sound pedantic, but the title of the post reads "Renault-Nissan plant in Chennai offering VRS (Voluntary Retirement) to employees Reply to Thread"

This is not a retirement but a separation scheme. Basically applicable to any age of employee; rather than getting fired later, they can resign now.

Please rectify.
Old 11th September 2018, 23:48   #14
BHPian

Whatever be the benefits of such schemes there will not be much takers unless one has another company's offer! It is always better to forecast the appropriate resource needed than to give a choice to quit!
Old 12th September 2018, 00:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Rumor has it that Nissan is planning to launch the updated Micra in 2019 rivaling i20 / Baleno.

Quote:
Nissan India has reportedly been planning to bring the new generation Micra for domestic customers next year. The Japanese automaker appears to have an aggressive strategy for India and as part of MOVE 2022 strategy, it will also be doubling its sales and service touch points.
Quote:
As part of the new strategy, Nissan could introduce the global fifth generation Micra, which is a more premium version compared to the existing model sold in India. Its increased dimensions meant the premium hatchback would rival Maruti Suzuki Baleno, Hyundai Elite i20 Honda Jazz and upcoming Tata 45X.

https://gaadiwaadi.com/new-gen-nissa...year-in-india/

Most Viewed