Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2018, 12:27   #1
BHPian

New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport coming to India in 2019

An ACI report says Mitsubishi will launch the Pajero Sport model in India next year. Mitsubishi will be launching the global facelift model here.
Quote:
We can now confirm the butch SUV will finally go on sale in India only in late 2019. As per a Mitsubishi insider, the model will be brought in as a completely built import initially, and could eventually be assembled.
Quote:
Test mules have been spotted testing, suggesting a midlife facelift for the Pajero Sport is on the way, and that could be the model that eventually makes it to India. Based on the same platform as the Triton pick-up truck, the new Pajero Sport promises to offer every bit of the ruggedness that has won the current model a loyal fan following in India. Four wheel drive will be on offer, and an off-road mode will be part of the package as well.
Quote:
Powering the new Pajero Sport is a 2.4-litre MIVEC diesel which makes 181hp and 430Nm of torque, that comes mated to an 8-speed automatic gearbox. You can expect the engine to be BS VI-compliant by the time the SUV makes it to India.
Link
Flyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 12:49   #2
BHPian

Oh Wow.. what a wonderful formality just like the outlander. CBU price will ensure it's will a rare sight on the road
aniyo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 13:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport coming to India in 2019

I can't believe I'm saying this -

But Mitsubishi seems to be in worse hands with Nissan now than with Hindustan Motors!

Renault - Nissan is trying hard to make the Duster look like the Capturs and Kicks of the world, so as to get a slice of the Indian SUV craze. But on the other hand - here they are launching namesake products (due to CBU pricing) from an established SUV brand.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 14:58   #4
BHPian

I hope mitsubishi launches a top spec CKD priced version with 4x4 AT, strong electronic safety pack, sunroof and rockford fosgate ice setup to give it any firm standing against the formidable duo of endeavour/fortuner this time.
46TheDoctor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 15:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

This product/generation has been there since 2015 & in 2018 Mitsubishi India thinks of launching it (facelift) & that too through CBU Route.

If they were launching a CBU then this should have been launched here in 2015 only, why wait for the facelift.

Someone needs to be fired !
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th September 2018, 15:26   #6
BHPian

Spy pic of Pajero Sport facelift being tested in Thailand.

New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport coming to India in 2019-post13865.jpg
Quote:
From the looks of things, it appears they softened up the Dynamic Shield design, resulting in a cleaner and more cohesive look. The front grill also appears to be slightly bigger than before while the headlights received mild tweaks.The lower air intake, as well as the foglights looks as if they have been left untouched however.
Source:Autoindustriya
Flyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 10:39   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport coming to India in 2019

Frankly, with such excellent SUVs like the Fortuner, Endeavour & Kodiaq in that price bracket, why would anyone bother with a Pajero Sport backed by a small company with a tiny service network?

Then, there are other alternatives like the monocoque CR-V & Tucson a segment below, and the lure of the German brands (e.g. BMW X1).

But as I mentioned before on another thread, Mitsubishi is nothing but a local car dealer / importer with a nicer office & men in suits. They do nothing but import & sell. Even if they sell 10 - 20 cars a month, they'll be happy with the per unit profits.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 11:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

It did not make sense to launch the Outlander but Pajero Sport will be a good product for our market. Even the in league of super competent Endeavour and Fortuner, it will have a place of its own. Just like the Endeavour and Fortuner the new gen Pajero Sport has evolved a lot and is extremely competent SUV. The Pajero brand still has a big fan following, they might still get sustainable numbers(by segment standards) if priced right.
.anshuman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 21:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
It did not make sense to launch the Outlander but Pajero Sport will be a good product for our market. Even the in league of super competent Endeavour and Fortuner, it will have a place of its own. Just like the Endeavour and Fortuner the new gen Pajero Sport has evolved a lot and is extremely competent SUV. The Pajero brand still has a big fan following, they might still get sustainable numbers(by segment standards) if priced right.
Being an owner of the current generation Pajero Sport I totally agree with you but like i have posted before, Pajero has some serious competition in the duo of fortuner/endeavour this time around. So it needs to beat those in term of features and needs to be priced competitively to generate any kind of interest especially since it will be coming with a 2.4 L engine (significantly smaller than the competition) this time around.

I am a huge fan of Pajero Sport (and a very happy customer also!) and last time when i was buying, both the endeavour and fortuner had poor ride quality which tilted the balance in the scope of Pajero Sport for me. But this time both the products are well sorted and acceptable on most of the parameters; Endeavour is in fact quiet impressive, so to make someone like me to buy Pajero Sport again it has to be well priced and better in terms of features as i have posted before. If it is not, I will simply shift to Endeavour 3.2 from my current generation Pajero Sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46TheDoctor View Post
I hope mitsubishi launches a top spec CKD priced version with 4x4 AT, strong electronic safety pack, sunroof and rockford fosgate ice setup to give it any firm standing against the formidable duo of endeavour/fortuner this time.
46TheDoctor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 23:30   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The Montero was relaunched at 78 lakhs or some stupidly high price like that. The next Pajero Sport is supposedly a CBU import and with the Indian Ruppee having taken a total molesting in the last couple of months, I think this vehicle will be nothing short of Rs. 50 Lakhs on the road.

Besides the earlier Pajero Sport had much better ride quality than the Fortuner/Endy of that time. But now, both the Endy and Fortuner have upped their game and a 50 Lakh Pajero Sport will be a still born baby like it's dead older brother then relaunced 80 Lakh Montero.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 14:02   #11
BHPian

How does a Stormer swing ? Left or Right?

New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport coming to India in 2019-screen-shot-20190115-1.25.47-pm.png

Despite all the Mitsu shenanigans, the Pajero sport still remains one of my all time favourite SUVs.

It looks like nothing else in the market and has loads of character. It has some decent basic kit (though compared to the current crop pf updated SUVs, it does feels very archaic.)

With the new CBU Pajero Sport hoping for a launch in 2019, and the expected price to be insane with Mitsubishi hanging on in India with nothing more than love and fresh air, I have few questions which I would like current/ex Pajero Sport owners to answer:

1. How relevant is the Pajero sport today? (current gen, as it is available in India)
Yes the logical mind would say its irrelevant, dated, dead and some words like that, and thats the precise reason I'm posting this question here- where those who have lived and loved the pajero might answer differently.

2. Considering that Mitsubishi wants to stick to its price point, oblivious to the competition, does a pre loved Pajero Sport makes sense

3. I can't but appreciate Mitsubishi/Birla for keeping the Pajero alive, albeit on life support, with a ventilator, but still the brand has shown brave resilience over the years. Who are these good folks actually buying the PS even today?
The few. The brave. Why do they buy it? beyond the obvious reason of the pull of charisma?
Asking this because at the asking price, it is pretty obvious that a new PS for what it offers, makes little sense today, seeing how it stacks against competition.

New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport coming to India in 2019-screen-shot-20190115-1.20.43-pm.png
vigneshkumar31 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 14:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
1. How relevant is the Pajero sport today? (current gen, as it is available in India)
The love that the prev-gen Pajero got isn't the love that the current-gen (in India) Pajero Sport ever got. Did the prev-gen Pajero owners really have much of a choice? Hence, the love. Hence, the cult that prev-gen Pajero was.
Quote:
2. Considering that Mitsubishi wants to stick to its price point, oblivious to the competition, does a pre loved Pajero Sport makes sense
With the prev-gen Fortuner around, it doesn't make any sense at all. Why would you not buy an SUV that's equally reliable (if not more), has better service network, better spares availability etc. If its a heart over head matter then no logic would work but if you think rationally, there isn't any reason to go Mitsubishi way in near future.
Quote:
3. I can't but appreciate Mitsubishi/Birla for keeping the Pajero alive, albeit on life support, with a ventilator, but still the brand has shown brave resilience over the years. Who are these good folks actually buying the PS even today?
With the new Endeavour and Fortuner around, its either those with too much money or those without too much of a brain.
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 15:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
How does a Stormer swing ? Left or Right?

Attachment 1837493

Despite all the Mitsu shenanigans, the Pajero sport still remains one of my all time favourite SUVs.

It looks like nothing else in the market and has loads of character. It has some decent basic kit (though compared to the current crop pf updated SUVs, it does feels very archaic.)

With the new CBU Pajero Sport hoping for a launch in 2019, and the expected price to be insane with Mitsubishi hanging on in India with nothing more than love and fresh air, I have few questions which I would like current/ex Pajero Sport owners to answer:

Attachment 1837492
A fantasy of a thought. If you plonk the Hexa 2.2 varicor and automatic gearbox into your Storme, I don't think you may want to change to the other two. Even today the Storme looks impressive and holds it's own against SuV costing twice and more.
Old 15th January 2019, 19:56   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
A fantasy of a thought. If you plonk the Hexa 2.2 varicor and automatic gearbox into your Storme, I don't think you may want to change to the other two. Even today the Storme looks impressive and holds it's own against SuV costing twice and more.
Thanks for the reply. Indeed a thought experiment AirbusCapt! something to indulge myself. Well said about the loyal storme.

If the Hexa effort had been put into the Storme and it got that updated sweet Punchpower glide auto mated to the storme varicor 400, kitted up with proper 6 airbag setup. Boot it up with the Hexa's Harman Kardon ICE and speaker setup, and I would have had the perfect vehicle I could ride into the sunset for till the compulsory EV upgrade in the far future. I reckon it could've actually made the safari storme regain some chunky market share and put Tata on the map for good.
Old 16th January 2019, 13:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Frankly, with such excellent SUVs like the Fortuner, Endeavour & Kodiaq in that price bracket, why would anyone bother with a Pajero Sport backed by a small company with a tiny service network
Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
With the new Endeavour and Fortuner around, its either those with too much money or those without too much of a brain.
Both of the above posts are quite logical and rational. But what fun is it being an emotional animal that we are, without occasional instances of irrationality and heart-over-head decisions thrown in

Most of the vehicles I have owned in my two decades of driving career have invited comments to the tune of "are you nuts?" and "have you lost your mind?" but every single instance when I had my hands on the steering wheel of each one of them, the grin on my face was all that mattered to me!

Go with your heart but be ready to face the consequences should anything go wrong, since you will have only yourself to blame at that point. It is something like love-marriage vs. arranged-marriage (no offence to either schools of thought) - you go with your heart in case of the former, and then spend the rest of your life (mostly) living with that decision, good or bad as it might turn out to be.

Quote:
It looks like nothing else in the market and has loads of character
This statement is enough for you to go out and buy the Pajero Sport (new or pre-owned, does not matter), without trying to get yourself convinced and cajoled by folks on the forum here

Hope I have not confused you further. While I do not own a Pajero Sport, I do own a Pajero SFX and would be more than happy to provide my perspective on Mitsu after-sales service and spare parts scenario.

Cheers...

Last edited by cool_dube : 16th January 2019 at 13:26.
cool_dube is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks