Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2018, 18:38   #31
BHPian

So, my 2016 Baleno Zeta was part of this steering column recall and MSM Chennai gladly acknowledged and got the column replaced under warranty.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-1540213670596.jpg  

Prodigy07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 21:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Part numbers are same for all batches, 2015-2017. They differ with respect to variants. Your car is not affected as it's made in 2015.
I got my Steering column assembly replaced today. 1.3 Zeta July 2015 model. My chassis number was not in the list put out by Maruti.
Since this was not among the list, Maruti Regional Service Manager had to inspect and approve. Cost of assembly is 39K.

I have uploaded the details (photo/invoice) in the S-Cross review thread.
Old 17th August 2019, 19:55   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too

Maruti has recently updated the steering column replacement circular. The chassis number cut off range has been changed and even 2015 make models are included now.

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-img_20190817_195704.jpg

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-img_20190817_173043.jpg

I have already got the steering column replaced in my S-Cross 1.6 (2016). But, I did not get the claim approved for Baleno (2015) as the chassis number was not mentioned in cut off range before. Now the chassis number of my Baleno is included, will get it replaced soon

New Swift and Dzire are also included in the new circular.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 17th August 2019 at 20:05.
Dr.Naren is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2019, 23:34   #34
BHPian

re: Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too

Quote:
Maruti has recently updated the steering column replacement circular. The chassis number cut off range has been changed and even 2015 make models are included now.

Attachment 1906108

Attachment 1906107
Thanks for Posting!

The chasis no. of my 2015 S cross 1.6 falls under those mentioned in the circular. I feel steering feedback as sticky below 20 km/h and very very light at speeds >100km/h. Should I get this replaced?

Last edited by breezydrive : 17th August 2019 at 23:35.
Old 18th August 2019, 00:43   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
The chasis no. of my 2015 S cross 1.6 falls under those mentioned in the circular. I feel steering feedback as sticky below 20 km/h
Get it checked at service center. If the steering is found sticky / abnormal noise, you should get it replaced.

Quote:
very very light at speeds >100km/h. Should I get this replaced?
This could be also due to worn out strut mounts / bearings or bad wheel alignment.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 01:43   #36
BHPian

Re: Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire

My S-Cross being a 2015 model it will surely be part of this circular, though I need to confirm the chassis number.

I haven't specifically noticed any stickiness or noise. Can anyone please advise what's the risk if I don't get the steering column replaced. Will it have any damage in the long run.

I am also worried about the careless service centre guys messing up with the steering alignment or airbags while trying to replace this. So I would like to avoid it unless it poses any risk.
Old 19th August 2019, 06:42   #37
BHPian

Re: Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire

Quote:

Thank you for this information. My Baleno RS falls under this recall though I do not have that sticky feeling, yet! Should I ask them to replace the steering column, or are they replacing only the ones affected ?
Old 19th August 2019, 07:56   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djay View Post
I am also worried about the careless service centre guys messing up with the steering alignment or airbags while trying to replace this. So I would like to avoid it unless it poses any risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Thank you for this information. My Baleno RS falls under this recall though I do not have that sticky feeling, yet! Should I ask them to replace the steering column, or are they replacing only the ones affected ?
It's not a recall. All the cars won't be affected, but Maruti has extended the steering column warranty up to 5 years for all the cars in cut off range.

Maruti will replace steering column only if there is issue. Mention of your chassis number in the list doesn't mean you have to get it replaced, but do get it checked.
Dr.Naren is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 10:06   #39
BHPian

This is great! My RS falls in the list. Have been extremely annoyed with the steering issues I am facing, primarily the noise when the wheel is turned. Hopefully replacing the column will solve the issue.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th August 2019 at 16:04.
Old 26th August 2019, 10:43   #40
BHPian

Since last couple of weeks, I am observing sticky steering problem in my Brezza. The steering sticks at 10/11 O'Clock position sometimes (at speeds > 50 kmph) and there is a very faint noise too. This is in contrast to problems faced by other owners where steering sticks at full revolution.

This is not reproducible every-time but I have noticed that steering has become heavy compared to before. I started to have pain in my hand on long journeys.

My chassis number falls in the range shared in latest circular by Maruti. Service adviser, after a test drive, said that the steering is ok, some lubrication can be applied on steering column if I insist.

Anyone facing similar issue?
Old 15th September 2020, 17:17   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1906108

Attachment 1906107

I have already got the steering column replaced in my S-Cross 1.6 (2016). But, I did not get the claim approved for Baleno (2015) as the chassis number was not mentioned in cut off range before. Now the chassis number of my Baleno is included, will get it replaced soon

Thanks a lot for publishing this circular here.

My Baleno (April 2017 make) was having the problem with steering. It wont return even a bit after turning either ways. The SA termed it as "sticky steering" and steering assembly was replaced with warranty. The circular helped a lot in setting the context.

Infact I had reported the problem in its very first service of car back in 2017, but SA did not find any issue back then and later I had to be abroad for work and did not pursue it further.

I owe this to the TBHP forum for providing this platform to collaborate information and help address problems.
Old 15th September 2020, 18:30   #42
BHPian

I'm confused. I own a 2018 swift and the steering doesn't automatically return to center. It was like this from the date of delivery.
I see many owners reporting the same and dismissing it as a design flaw.
Does this mean the steering column is actually faulty ?

Thanks.
ChrisTJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 19:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTJ View Post
I'm confused. I own a 2018 swift and the steering doesn't automatically return to center. It was like this from the date of delivery.
I see many owners reporting the same and dismissing it as a design flaw.
Does this mean the steering column is actually faulty ?

Thanks.
Drive on a even road at your usual cruising speed, see how the steering behaves when doing lane changes or mild movements, if you dont feel any feedback from the steering to return to the centre position then in my opinion its a problem.
Doc_Hudson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 21:14   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Hudson View Post
Drive on a even road at your usual cruising speed, see how the steering behaves when doing lane changes or mild movements, if you dont feel any feedback from the steering to return to the centre position then in my opinion its a problem.
It has a mind of its own. Sometimes it returns to center, sometimes it won't. 90% of the times the steering 'sticks' to the turned position.
Eg: If I take a right hand turn, the steering wheel stays at the turned position and doesn't show any tendency to return.

Since the behaviour is erratic, I dont rely on the auto return and always turns the steering wheel myself to the center. But this is a task especially after a 'U' turn.

The team bhp official review of the 2018 swift states that the return to the center action is weak and it is a design flaw.
Old 5th December 2020, 17:44   #45
BHPian

Update: So I went to the nearest svc which is Indus motors. The technician took a TD and said there's nothing wrong with the steering even after seeing the steering sticking.

According to them:
1) the steering wont come to center after a U turn, its common for all cars.

2) steering sticking is also normal and according to their "parameters" everything is well.

When I pointed out other cars I drove didn't have any of these problems, they said my tire is worn (24k kms run, no abnormal wear, recently aligned) and that's what causing it.

I tried reasoning for 10 mins but they weren't ready to do anything. They also wanted money for checking and sanitising the car, to which I gave them an earful, after that they removed all the charges.

Frustrated, I took the car to a FNG, the technician indeed recognized the problem. But by doing the work outside, ill have to pay for the part and labour.

I don't know whats the point of having warranty anymore. I'm thinking twice about getting the extended warranty because they can find excuses to avoid changing any part.

What are my options to get it fixed?

Thanks and regards.
Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-20201205_17495801_resize_9.jpg

Last edited by ChrisTJ : 5th December 2020 at 17:53. Reason: Added few words.
ChrisTJ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks