Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2020, 23:06   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTJ View Post
Frustrated, I took the car to a FNG, the technician indeed recognized the problem. But by doing the work outside, ill have to pay for the part and labour.

I don't know whats the point of having warranty anymore. I'm thinking twice about getting the extended warranty because they can find excuses to avoid changing any part.

What are my options to get it fixed?

Thanks and regards.
Attachment 2089555
I have got steering column of my 2016 Baleno changed twice under warranty so far;
first time it was due to steering sometimes getting slightly stuck while turning it back to center after a turn.
Second time the power steering motor stopped working.

So I have used 3 steering columns so far and none went back to center fully, as mentioned in the official review the action is weak. So changing the steering column is mostly not going to solve your problem. I have also not heard anyone say that their steering is going back to center fully so far.

If steering coming back to center fully is the only problem you are facing then it is better to leave it as is and see if you can live with it.

Cheers.
y448 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 02:05   #47
BHPian

Re: Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire

Quote:
Originally Posted by y448 View Post
I have got steering column of my 2016 Baleno changed twice under warranty so far;
first time it was due to steering sometimes getting slightly stuck while turning it back to center after a turn.
Well, I can live with these behaviours for sure. But do want to ? No.

At low speed, the steering sticks if i turn 5 to 10 degrees either side and doesn't return to center, I cannot digest this behaviour.

Also the steering feels heavy in low speed and becomes lighter once the speed crosses 70. Shouldn't it be the other way around? It looks like EPS motor, the controller or something else is malfunctioning.
Ill try a different A.S.S soon.
Old 8th December 2020, 08:19   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTJ View Post
Also the steering feels heavy in low speed and becomes lighter once the speed crosses 70. Shouldn't it be the other way around? It looks like EPS motor, the controller or something else is malfunctioning.
Ill try a different A.S.S soon.
Do try a different A.S.S, for me also the first service center (Arena) one said there are no issues and then I went to Nexa one later and they readily agreed to replace.

I don't face the issues you mentioned above where steering feels heavy at low speeds and lighter after 70 kmph. My problem is only that the steering does not return all the way back to center.

Good luck with the next service center.

Cheers!
Old 6th January 2022, 12:16   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire

Update: Maruti has now introduced Child parts for steering column assembly, only affected parts to be replaced now instead of the entire column which was expensive and used to cost even Rs. 50k for some models. This will also help owners whose cars are out of warranty.

Service circular with revised part numbers:

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-img_1_1641451155049.jpg

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-img_1_1641451348087.jpg

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-img_1_1641451361126.jpg

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-img_1_1641451387203.jpg

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-img_1_1641451418530.jpg

Source: Facebook

Last edited by Leoshashi : 6th January 2022 at 12:20.
Leoshashi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 14:06   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Steering column assembly
That's good on part of Maruti, they'll end up saving a lot. Can't say the same for vehicle owners though. My steering column was replaced last year during 5th year service as it had gone sticky and never returned to center. After the column was changed, the steering is a delight. It's become light and returns to center easily.

We need to see the results of replacing the full unit versus replacing the child parts. This also means that Maruti has zeroed down on the main issue of sticky/noisy steering.
BoneCollector is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 23:39   #51
BHPian

This is a great move by Maruti, but I'm surprised it came so late. I have a sticky steering on my 2010 ritz and I the high cost of the replacement (₹ 26k approx) kept me from changing that part on such an old car which sees hardly any running. My FNG tried repairing by opening the assembly and machining the rack and pinion a bit but that didn't work.

I wonder whether these child parts will be applicable to cars which are already on the road or have they redesigned the steering to be serviceable on the new cars which will be sold going forward?
jalsa777 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2022, 23:40   #52
BHPian

My 2016 Brezza also developed this issue couple months back. I've been told by the workshop that the entire assembly costs about 60K for brezza, and hence MS is now replacing child parts instead of entire assembly. The child parts haven't arrived at the dealer workshop yet. There are about half a dozen cars (baleno, brezza, etc.) at the MS workshop (that I regularly visit), waiting for the child parts to arrive. The mechanic training for child parts replacement was completed in Dec itself, and the child parts should arrive sometime in Jan/Feb.

Last edited by texens : 8th January 2022 at 00:10.
texens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 02:01   #53
Senior - BHPian

My car is back from it's service where I raised this issue as the steering is a bit sticky and no etc. They refused the replacement as it's "not bad enough yet and needs to start making noise" to be eligible for replacement apparently. So i guess if like me and your car has low running then you need to wait for a couple of years for replacement and are stuck with a poor steering wheel feel until then
Old 15th January 2022, 23:14   #54
BHPian

I had got the sticky steering issue resolved with a replacement of steering column in October 2021. My Brezza is of July 2016 registered and the Workshop as also the Territory Manager initially offered to bear 50% costs and later refused to bear any costs on the ground that the extended warranty of 5 years was over. After escalation to senior management on email, they agreed to replace the steering column on goodwill (without any costs) as I highlighted this to be an admitted latent manufacturing defect which cropped up only after completion of 5 years (with almost one and half years with very limited usage in pandemic) and the customer cannot be faulted at. I pointed out that if the replacement was conditional upon the vehicle being under original warranty/ extended warranty period (which was not the case as would appear from the relevant circular), Maruti/ workshop should have sensitised all customers of the same, particularly when they can make stupid calls throughout the year for insurance renewal and servicing. Post replacement of the steering column in October 2021, I have driven around 2000 Kms and the steering feels good and I can actually feel the difference.

It appears that the present circular relates to replacing child parts only and not the entire assembly. It would be helpful to know if it is applicable to customers like me as well (who have got steering column replaced) or it is only meant for customers having an issue with the steering (sticky steering or the like) and not as a matter of course. Also it would be helpful to know if Maruti has set any dependency of the replacement to any specific time period or warranty of the car. Thanks in advance.
jbpanda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 22:05   #55
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I was having the sticky steering problem from 2nd year onwards in my Baleno(2018 model) and I told this problem to SA during service but they told me that this is normal. Now when 4 years passed(23000 on the odo) and my extended warranty expired, the steering started making Kat-Kat noise during turns.
Later I went to mass and they ordered steering column assembly which will arrive in 2 weeks.
Old 16th October 2022, 00:23   #56
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

My steering column was finally replaced since it was making the infamous tik-tik noise during turns .The steering is light to use now and is not making a noise, but the return to centre has not improved. One thing I noticed after the replacement was that the car was pulling to the left. I think wheel alignment is a must after the column change (will get it done soon).

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-img_20220911_144649.jpg

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-img_20220911_1453162.jpg

Maruti's service circular for the Baleno, S-Cross & Vitara Brezza steering. EDIT: Swift & Dzire too-screenshot_20221015235111302_com.marutisuzuki.rewards.jpg
vivek2652 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 19:44   #57
BHPian

So i just tried out a 2018 Baleno CVT as i am looking for a used auto car for the wife/mother. I didn't hear any noise but immediately the steering felt heavier and was not going to center as it should. After the test drive the dealer said this is a common issue with Baleno and even a new column worth 45k will not likely solve it as its an inherent problem with Baleno. So i google it and its a common, major issue.

What should i do in this case? The car is in very good condition and has all service records with Maruti (57k done, serviced at 55k). It will complete 5 years in Feb. Do they replace the column or child parts free of cost still as i don''t think the car has extended warranty.

Last edited by AnandB : 8th December 2022 at 19:53.
Old 11th December 2022, 12:59   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Do they replace the column or child parts free of cost still as i don''t think the car has extended warranty.
It depends.
In my case, this issue came up only after 5 and half years of usage (I had extended warranty till 4 yrs only). The MASS service manager said that they'll check service history and confirm. They saw that all the services had happened at the same MASS over the entire life of the vehicle, so they put in a request with Maruti for goodwill. Maruti responded a couple days later and approved 75% of the cost under goodwill.

Just a heads-up: Since this is a recurring issue, Maruti now replaces only child parts, instead of the entire mechanism. The total invoice, for my Brezza manual (2016) came to about 22k (out of which I paid 25% i.e. 6k). I believe, earlier it used to be close to 50k in the absence of child parts.
texens is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 14:55   #59
BHPian

hi, I have a 1.6, my steering appears to be fine, and there's no clicking noise. However, there's a metallic groaning noise (particularly when i reverse and turn at same time). This dies down after the vehicle has warmed up, and there's no impact on longer drives. Could this be related? It is sporadic, so have no way to reproduce the sound.

Most Viewed