Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2007, 11:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Godfather, i myself dont believe that but thats what the dealer has told me. But think apart from the Swift which other car of Maruti is a hot seller. Ya WagonR/800/Alto sell a lot simply because there is no other alternative other then the Santro.
Old 3rd March 2007, 13:33   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Things just keep getting worse,price rise by honda

Honda Siel Cars India Ltd is set to start charging central sales tax on its models since the tax holiday it enjoys in Uttar Pradesh is ending this month.

This will mean that the 'City', which is priced at Rs 6.75 lakh, can be costlier by Rs 20,250. 'Civic', priced at Rs 10.88 lakh, would be dearer by about Rs 32,644 and 'Accord', which is tagged at Rs 14.92 lakh, may cost Rs 44,760 more.
This is by far the worst price increase by any car maker but somehow seems to have escaped the attention of the members here. We all know that Honda cars are over priced, specially the City, and I don't mean comparing it to competition. Is Honda's profit margin really that squeezed that they have to effect such a dramatic price increase in one shot?
Old 3rd March 2007, 14:24   #33
Senior - BHPian

The honda price rise has more to do with the fact that its tax holiday period is over.Am curious to know if the CRV prices are also hiked.

The ex-showroom price for the NHC has become about 7.00 lakhs.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 3rd March 2007 at 14:26.
Old 4th March 2007, 17:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

WHAT YOU PAY FOR IMPORTS INTO INDIA

56% OF THE BASIC PRICE OF A CAR GOES TO GOVERNMENT IN THE FORM OF VARIOUS TAXES + WHAT YOU PAY THE DEALER BY WAY OF HIS MARGIN

Ex-factory taxes
(central excise*+calamity tax + cess)----> 25.63%
Central sales tax------------------------> 3%
Local sales tax--------------------------> 12%
Octroi ---------------------------------->1%
Road tax* ------------------------------>2%
Dealer margin --------------------------->5%

Source:
Mr Taxman, can you tell me...

why is it that import duty on a business jet is merely 3 per cent, on a yacht 10 per cent, but it's 60 per cent on cars

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 4th March 2007 at 17:47.
Old 15th March 2007, 13:03   #35
BHPian

Maruti cars to be dearer by upto Rs 1,017

Maruti Udyog Ltd on Thursday hiked prices of all its models by upto Rs 1,017 on account of increased cess announced in the Union Budget 2007-08.

The company said post price hike, its popular premium hatchback Swift will be costlier between Rs 656 and Rs 818 across different variants.

The base model of Swift will now cost Rs 4,68,657 as against Rs 4,68,000 (ex-showroom Delhi) earlier. Its popular Maruti 800 Std model will now be costlier by Rs 268 at Rs 1,93,914 as against Rs 1,93,646, the company said.

Zen Estilo Vxi would now cost Rs 3,74,019 as against Rs 3,73,500 as its price has been revised upwards by Rs 519. The prices of Esteem models have been hiked by Rs 912 and Rs 982 respectively for the Lxi and Vxi variants. Esteem's base model would now cost Rs 4,79,135 as against Rs 4,78,223 earlier.

The maximum hike in prices has occurred in the Gypsy King Ambulance, which has become dearer by Rs 1,017 per car at Rs 5,25,549.

"While the cess changes announced in the Union Budget 2007-08 came into effect from March 1, 2007, the company had decided to maintain its ex-showroom prices at pre-budget levels for a fortnight," the company said.

Maruti added that the decision was keeping in mind customers, who had postponed their purchases expecting certain taxes and duties to come down in the Union Budget.

Omni Cargo LPG prices have been increased by Rs 258, while that of Omni 5 seater by Rs 307. The price of Versa Dx model has also been hiked by Rs 826.

Story : Maruti cars to be dearer by upto Rs 1,017-India Business-NEWS-The Times of India
Old 15th March 2007, 14:15   #36

Mithun,

You are wrong....show me / prove that the edu tax goes to right hands? Most of the tax collected is used among the politicians!!

Upper Middle class / Busniess familys....go and ask them,....It takes generations to be rich.....nt a miracle of a day.....!!!

Increase in tax is nothin but to pull as much money as possible from common public. And this is used by all political ppl and thats why no voice on it.

Hope you got my point.
Old 15th March 2007, 15:36   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Why it's very disappointing ???

Don't you want our rural areas to progress ?
Sure I want them to progress. Is the govt willing to return the tax they charged from me to make sure rural areas progressed, when they fail in that.
I have been paying all those nonsense taxes for rural upliftment and still no results, why should I pay more. If these extra taxes had yielded a result, I wouldn't have minded, but I don't see that happening.
And to sum it, I didn't snatch lands from farmers, the govt's did in name of SEZs.
Quote:
OR

Do you want all the developments should be concentrated only on the urban areas so that it will benefit only the upper middle class/dirty rich ?
[/quote]
Whats this got to do with development. I am not dirty rich. I don't steal money. I pay my taxes at source. The thieving income tax department hasn't returned my extra tax too. All they do is waste my money in posting silly full page advertisements about how my tax is building the nation. Those morons actually think that such an advert can rouse the conscience of a black money hoarder. All they do is waste the money I pay them.
I don't mind paying taxes, but when the taxes I pay go down some bottomless hole it matters.

I guess we don't need to go offtopic, but Auto industry is a sunrise sector. Along with many others. If you have a child who excels in studies and another who flunks you don't beat up the good child to make him perform better, you try to fix whats wrong with the poor performer.

Not giving sops and increasing taxes on me, since I am a dirty rich guy is not going to help anyone, except the govt which will say we are "aam admi ki govt" because we try to make life miserable for anyone who lives comfortably, all the while aam admi cooks food without onions because they cost 50rs a kg.

SM Krishna's govt did lot of development in BLR, and the opposition won the elections by saying that the govt neglected the villages and so many farmers committed suicide. The opposition came and neglected infrastructure growth in BLR, and still many farmers committed suicide, there was no development in the villages either.

Same thing here, by not giving any sops and increasing taxes the govt just wants votes. Since "dirty rich" like me are not enough in number/or don't vote in enough numbers we are the easy target.
Old 15th March 2007, 16:09   #38
Team-BHP Support

Perfectly put tsk. That just sums it up beautifully!
Old 15th March 2007, 16:16   #39
BHPian

simpler solution : rather then concentrating on more taxes. Put your energies in earning more rather then sobbing on paying more taxes because you cannot change this.. can you ? There is no point in being judgmental all the time. Anyways thats my opinion and we can have difference of opinion.
Old 15th March 2007, 20:13   #40
BHPian

tsk, you are perfectly right. I really hope all the taxes deducted at source are utilised properly for the development activities in rural areas, as well as for improving infrastructure.
Old 16th March 2007, 12:44   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
simpler solution : rather then concentrating on more taxes. Put your energies in earning more rather then sobbing on paying more taxes because you cannot change this.. can you ?
Would be a worthwhile solution if only you didnt have to pay more as taxes when you earn more. Thats my opinion.
Old 16th March 2007, 12:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Would be a worthwhile solution if only you didnt have to pay more as taxes when you earn more. Thats my opinion.
All I wanted to say is Taxes is a truth and its going to increase. So lets face it.
Old 16th March 2007, 14:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The maximum hike in prices has occurred in the Gypsy King Ambulance, which has become dearer by Rs 1,017 per car at Rs 5,25,549.
What kind of a manufacturer would make an ambulance get the highest hike???
Doesn't the Govt. have any duty sops for ambulances??
Old 16th March 2007, 14:39   #44
Senior - BHPian

but the registration cost is subsidized......
Old 16th March 2007, 15:01   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
What kind of a manufacturer would make an ambulance get the highest hike???
Doesn't the Govt. have any duty sops for ambulances??
the sales is comparatively quite less than the other vehicles so most of the buyers will be happy.

Most Viewed