Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2007, 14:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

Triptronic takes a while to get used to, trying to get perfect shifts is a little difficult if youre off to a shoot immediately.

The laura has a sports mode which automatically takes the dsg shifting points to the redline which is great if you want to pull it hard. Doing the same in manual mode you will lose time as there isnt much additional power in the diesel when its redlining so you will just lose half a second or so trying to get it to do more and some more time for the hand movement.
Old 6th January 2007, 14:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
If you really wanna be brutal then you gotta put in triptronic and make the engine scream thru the red line.
But if you wanna gunn it without entering the red zone and ensuring precise gear changes then you gotta keep it in D and keep a heavy foot. This way you will pull it just shy of the redline in every gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
What a contrast between these two advices, one obviously knows about the car he is talking about and the other is just guessing wildly...
with Samurai here. Sahil,no offence bud, but the whole idea of a diesel is low down torque and the peak power is developed around 4-4.5 K rpm mark for most diesels.So you wont make much progress red lining a diesel engine.Like Mugen_power said, shift early and see the laura fly.

Can anyone tell us if the Sport mode can be used when using tip tronic or is it available only in the auto mode?
Old 6th January 2007, 14:15   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone tell us if the Sport mode can be used when using tip tronic or is it available only in the auto mode?
Roms, Sport mode is only avaliable in auto mode. It holds the gears longer allowing the engine to rev so that the driver has more fun. Basically, it does automatically what the driver wants to do manually.
Old 6th January 2007, 14:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Dont even try racing the two on that road, its a crowded highway and not a expressway, my advise is dont go beyond 180 -190 kmph and please please dont attempt it on the Pune - Satara road stay close to 150-160 mark.
What's the point of the race ? If it has to be a race it has to be for something important, otherwise why do it at all....

And Laura aint even gonna catch yer Merc on highway. take a RS if you really wanna heat the competition..

And the best way is to drive on S....
Old 6th January 2007, 14:23   #20
BHPian

Ok Amit, thank you for clearing that doubt.So its the same as the NHC CVT then.
Old 6th January 2007, 14:24   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Idotic Question:

Does the Laura have paddle shifts for shifting when in DSG mode ???
Old 6th January 2007, 14:26   #22
Team-BHP Support

Guys I dont think GTO is competing or having a race. He just wants to know whats the best way to shift the Laura so that you use all of it's horses.

Remember the merc has a 6 speed manual which on highway will be a hoot to drive and be very quick.

The DSG needs to be used correctly so that the merc just doesnt disappear.

According to me the best option is the sport mode. but you could always give the tip-tronic a try for a while and see how that goes.

play around with both and see which suits you more. I preferred the sport mode but found a little more control in the tip-tronic mode through corners. But the tip-tronic will upshift automatically if you rev it to the red-line which is of no use since it's a diesel.

@nikhil: no paddles you tap the gear stick up or down bit like the invecs and the sonata embera.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 6th January 2007 at 14:27.
Old 6th January 2007, 17:03   #23
Team-BHP Support

Update via SMS from GTO

Mercedes is in a different league. Laura is nice but breathless at 160kmh
Old 6th January 2007, 17:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hey,

Are you guys looney or what. Those are insane speeds you are talking about here on either of the roads. I dont think Tbhp does and should be promoting high speed driving and specially speeds which are way beyond the legal speed limits.

Viper
Out of interest, Jignesh - arent you the chap that goes around making cars go faster? Engine swaps, et al?

Are all your modded cars restricted to the legal speed limits?

That comment would be laudable (pun intended) if it werent for the fact that it comes from a person who talks "performance" and posts with a signature like that....
Old 6th January 2007, 17:59   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Out of interest, Jignesh - arent you the chap that goes around making cars go faster? Engine swaps, et al?

Are all your modded cars restricted to the legal speed limits?

That comment would be laudable (pun intended) if it werent for the fact that it comes from a person who talks "performance" and posts with a signature like that....
Hahahahaa,

Got me I was referring to this post "dont go beyond 180 -190 kmph and please please dont attempt it on the Pune - Satara road stay close to 150-160 mark."

FYI the expressway speed limit was 80kmph and to be later increased to 120km but I dont know if they have officially increased it to 120kmph.

They are by no means safe and I never advocate driving at those speeds. If people want to drive at those speeds they should have some experience and a very safe car or its their car & life what can I say.

Viper

Last edited by viper : 6th January 2007 at 18:18.
Old 6th January 2007, 18:03   #26
Awaiting Email Confirmation

As everyones saying tiptronic which is absolutely correct stick to it on the other hand take jiggys n the teams advice coz we wouldnt want such beautiful machinery being pushed to a point of no return (to mumbai that is )..n for the speed thrill im sure youve had enough already GTO so please try not to...besides ome of us value your presence on this site..so drive safe bro.
Old 6th January 2007, 18:50   #27
BHPian

The tiptronic is good, but at times, when i am racing around, i keep it at S, and it goes real neat! only at times, when u are overtaking at high speeds, and might want to control that situation, suggest u shift to Tiptronic. if not, S is real nice!
Old 7th January 2007, 00:49   #28
BHPian

Somehow the thought of a diesel straining itself on a highway just doesnt excite me. Yes I know diesel's are getting better etc and a diesel won at Le Mans but my money was always gonna be on the Merc.

Edit: Did a little research, and aparently the international version of the car has a 2.0TDi that churns out 140bhp. Now that would be a nice diesel to drive. Also did some research and found this at a site called auto-power-girl.com (strange name)

Quote:
The 1.9 TDI/77 kW engine lives up to the reputation of the extremely popular TDI engines. An Octavia thus equipped still has minimum consumption, great reliability, and is fast enough for most people. The 1.9 TDI-PD/77 kW in line four-cylinder engine uses OHC technology with two valves per cylinder and produces a maximum of 77 kW (105 bhp) at 4,000 rpm and torque of 250 Nm/1,900 rpm. A car with this engine can reach 192 km/h, and accelerates from 0 to100 km/h in 11.8 s. Škoda Octavia cars equipped with the 1.9 TDI-PD/77 kW engine have excellent fuel consumption, which is an amazing 4.9 l/100km in the combined regime according to the new European driving cycle

Last edited by theEnd : 7th January 2007 at 01:05.
Old 7th January 2007, 00:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
Somehow the thought of a diesel straining itself on a highway just doesnt excite me. Yes I know diesel's are getting better etc and a diesel won at Le Mans but my money was always gonna be on the Merc.
Well the Merc was a diesel too!!
Old 7th January 2007, 01:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Well the Merc was a diesel too!!
What is this world coming to?

As my friend Jeremy would say... "Sure it’s quiet, for a diesel. But that’s like being well-behaved... for a murderer."
Closed Thread

Most Viewed