Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2018, 18:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain launched at Rs. 75 lakh

Mercedes-Benz has launched the E-Class All-Terrain in India priced at Rs. 75 lakh (ex-showroom).

Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain launched at Rs. 75 lakh-image-1-7.jpg

The E-Class All-Terrain is based on the estate version of the new E-Class. It measures 4,947 mm in length, 1,861 mm in width and 1,497 mm in height. The car has a wheelbase of 2,939 mm and offers up to 1,820 litres of luggage space.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain launched at Rs. 75 lakh-image-2-7.jpg

The E-Class All-Terrain comes with a rugged body kit featuring a twin slat grille and dual-tone bumper with silver inserts. It gets black plastic moulding around the wheel arches and along the door sills. At the rear, the car comes with a dual-tone bumper with an integrated scuff plate and twin exhausts. The All-Terrain version rides on 19-inch light alloy wheels. The interior is similar to the standard E-Class sedan featuring a dual-screen setup and a 3-spoke multi-function steering wheel.

The E-Class All-Terrain is powered by a BS-VI compliant 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that produces 192 BHP @ 3,800 rpm and 400 Nm @ 1,600-2,800 rpm. The engine is mated to a 9-speed automatic transmission and power is sent to all four wheels via the 4MATIC all-wheel drive system. It has multiple driving modes including an All-Terrain transmission mode with off-road settings. The All-Terrain version comes equipped with air-suspension which can raise the car's ride height by 35 mm. Mercedes claims that the E-Class All-Terrain will do 0-100 km/h in 8 seconds and has a top speed of 231 km/h.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 19:05   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz E-Class All-Terrain launched at Rs. 75 lakh

Oh my God. What a wonderfully gorgeous car. Even a Lexus fan like me would swoon just looking at her.
V.Narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 19:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The announcement conveniently omits the fact that this is not based on the long wheelbase version of the EC lass sedan sold in India and is shorter and more cosy in the back seat despite being an Estate car.
84.monsoon is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 21:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely hate this new curvy front face design that Mercedes has adopted to everything from the C to the S and the GLA right up to the mighty GLS. IMO, the older design language was so much more progressive and edgier.
Anyhow, historically estates in India suffer from an image problem and for 75 odd this, there is an excellent Volvo XC90 within shooting distance. Not to mention the newer Q7 is cheaper.

Last edited by bigron : 28th September 2018 at 21:17.
bigron is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th September 2018, 21:38   #5
Team-BHP Support

75 Lac for a 4 Cylinder Hearse? Why do these guys bring such cars? Just creating codes in their Indian spare catalogue will cost them more then total sales such variants will bring probably. Sometimes I wonder, what sort of people run these large companies and what all they gain by doing such antics?
Turbanator is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 07:38   #6
BHPian

Mercedes India should have provided this car with the 300d if not the 350d. The 300d and the 220d are basically the same engines with different states of tune. This is anyway a car for a niche market and by providing it with a little more power would certainly help matching up with its main competitor- The Volvo V90 Cross Country.
Pratyush2407 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 08:03   #7
BHPian

Somehow, those ultra low profile tyres don't seem to fit the 'All Terrain' tag. The V90 looks more rugged and fits the bill of an AT estate better.
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 08:41   #8
BHPian

The undisputed estate king of Europe, Volvo, launched the v90 cc and struggles till this day. That car packs every bell and whistle imaginable and sells for a full 10 L less than this e-class estate.

Not sure what the logic here is; perhaps to pass it off as an SUV ?
reihem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 09:53   #9
Team-BHP Support

My love for the Estate body-type aside, why call it an all-terrain model then slap on 19-inchers that wouldn't even survive urban India, forget 'terrain'?

P.S. The Volvo is a better car in every way imaginable, even visually. Who would've thought a Volvo would look better than a Merc!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th September 2018 at 10:00.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 10:09   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Somehow, those ultra low profile tyres don't seem to fit the 'All Terrain' tag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
My love for the Estate body-type aside, why call it an all-terrain model then slap on 19-inchers that wouldn't even survive urban India, forget 'terrain'?
I guess these AWD estates are targeted at customers who frequently drive in snowy conditions (in North America & Europe).
SmartCat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 10:19   #11
BHPian

If I had the money I would pick the Volvo V90 cc over this one. Looks are subjective but I think the new Volvos look absolutely fantastic.
Also, the older I get, the more drawn I am towards the Estate body type, they seem so much more practical for everyday use. This is of course provided you need to lug around stuff on a regular basis. It's a great place to put your dogs in as well! For people who don't need (or like) a big SUV, I think this body style makes perfect sense.
However I think as far as the Indian market goes, people who can afford cars in this price bracket don't 'lug around stuff' themselves , which is why this body style has never taken off here. Image wise there is of course no contest between the SUV and the estate style!
Lone Ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2018, 10:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Mercedes wants to be the Maruti among the Germans they have the C class sedan, then SUV version of C class GLC, then we have C 63 AMG and in China they have the GLA long wheelbase version of the A class sedan which is of similar size of their C class.

On top of this, all their cars look the same, right from C to S class and they made sure to plonk their 4 pot into everything, just like how makers are using 1.3 DDis engine.
giri1.8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 14:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

I doubt how much this car will sell in India. Not getting into the debate about estates never finding a market at all. Just that it has a single direct competitor, the V90 Cross Country.

Let's talk looks. I've been lucky to see a V90CC first hand because someone I know owns it. The E Class All terrain I've seen in the last auto expo. From every angle, the V90CC beats this hands down. It is wolf like, and looks built for the purpose. Just the design of the alloys is reason enough to choose the V90CC.

Specifications? 232bhp (V90CC) to 190bhp, 480Nm to 400Nm, 0 to 100 in 7.2secs to 8 secs. AWD estates aren't bought by the chauffer driven. They're bought by people who know what use the car will be subjected to, and will drive it themselves. So the specifications will matter.

And to top it all, Mercedes have made it 8 lakhs more expensive than the V90CC.

On a different note, I'm glad that AWD crossovers are finding their way into India. There are lots of buyers who require the flexibility of AWD and high GC, but can't bother to live with the road manners of a tall SUV. The timing is just right.
predatorwheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 19:01   #14
BHPian

Is this a SKD/CKD or a CBU launch?

I don't know if this model will make much sense to Indian buyers with the GLE 250d and 350d retailing around 65 and 75 lacs ex-showroom Mumbai, respectively. And with the new GLE which is bound to land here sometime in 2019, it's a confusing one for sure.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 20:11   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post

P.S. The Volvo is a better car in every way imaginable, even visually. Who would've thought a Volvo would look better than a Merc!
Well the V90 comes with 20" wheels with the option of 19" wheels. The Volvo is 4wd.

Am not sure what the car offers for Rs 10L more - A little more cargo capacity and fully adjustable air-suspension are some reasons. A reason for the high price differential is mainly due to anticipated low volumes. I guess it is something to sit in between the GLC and the GLE.

I loved the V90CC, and really loved how it tackled tough monsoon conditions - will be interesting to drive the the All Terrain and compare!

Am surprised Mercedes launched this after observing Volvo's sales volumes!

Last edited by ajmat : 1st October 2018 at 09:51.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed