Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2018, 09:11   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Video: Etios owners stage mass protest against Toyota

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan for sending this video in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Etios owners (mostly cabbies) are staging a mass protest against Toyota on complaints of high engine oil consumption, water entering inside the cabin etc.

As per them, this is an issue on cars of manufacturing year 2016 onward.

Video (in Malayalam, but several vehicles have English banners):
GTO is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 09:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Video: Etios owners stage mass protest against Toyota

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2018 at 08:46.
roby_dk is offline   Received Infraction
Old 30th September 2018, 09:45   #3
BHPian

With regards to the video, I am a little surprised. I always have a chat with cab drivers about their cars, and I've never heard this sort of complaint from the Etios drivers. This is anecdotal evidence of course. Maybe some of our malayalam speaking friends could let us know what being said in the videos.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2018 at 08:47. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Lone Ranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 10:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a valid issue. They formed whatsapp group based on the observation in few cars, and checked engine oil consuption in multiple cars during different periods. It was also checked with different dealerships and multiple cars. They have also compared it with other cars of different makes, and are ready to give any cars from the lot (protesting cars) to Toyota for joint test/study. They are asking for some solution if their observation is found correct by the company. Proofs of high consumption (checked at Toyota dealerships) were also presented during discussions.

Looks like Toyota is in trouble!

OT: Look at those cabs, so well maintained. No scratches, dents, or unwanted stickers. All look very clean as well.

Last edited by Latheesh : 30th September 2018 at 11:00.
Latheesh is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 10:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If I recall correctly, there were reports of water seepage into the cabin at the time of Etios launch right? In-fact some one had created an entire webpage to highlight the issue, was even offered TBHP membership and later turned out to be a false claim with few other members demonstrating no seepage in their vehicles.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 10:59   #6
BHPian

Interpreting from the video:

The guy in the video is complaining about high oil consumption of Etios. While the Toyota employee in the video says its normal for car to consume about 1/2 litre of oil for 10,000 kms (out of 4 litre total capacity), the cabbie complains most cars consume 2 litre or plus for 10,000 kms.

They want Toyota to run these cabs for 5000 or 10,000 kms to check the oil consumption and confirm the alleged complaint and to offer reasonable solution for the issue in writing.
-------------------------
Do private 2016+ Etios owners in the forum face this problem with your car?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th September 2018 at 11:46. Reason: Grammar.
Flyer is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 11:01   #7
BHPian

The video talks only about high oil consumption. Their complaint is that the car drinks too much of oil that they have to top it up frequently. Other Etios owners here can confirm if this is the case, especially if you are using it as a cab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
OT: Look at those cabs, so well maintained. No scratches, dents, or unwanted stickers. All look very clean as well.
I rarely see a damaged / unclean car operating as Cab in Kerala. All cars I have hired while using Uber / Ola are well maintained. The credit goes to the civic sense and the strict RTO inspections.
sreerknair is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 11:37   #8
BANNED

The main guy in the video is saying that within 5000 kms the engine oil level is reaching the minimum level and they are demanding a testing of the same even to the extend of 5000 kms along with the service center guys to prove their point.

Regarding the better upkeep of those cabs, I have seen and experienced real enthusiasts among these cabbies. The way they love their cars is on another level. The car is their bread and butter, but I salute those cabbies who take care of their cars just like their daughters.

Last edited by pavi : 30th September 2018 at 11:56. Reason: Added more content
pavi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 12:45   #9
BHPian

That oil had turned completely black with rather high viscosity. Is that normal for diesels?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 30th September 2018 at 23:48. Reason: Typo.
caffeineAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 13:36   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
The video talks only about high oil consumption. Their complaint is that the car drinks too much of oil that they have to top it up frequently. Other Etios owners here can confirm if this is the case, especially if you are using it as a cab.
We have 5 Liva Diesels with our sales staff since 2015. Couple of them are at 150 K and others 70 K + Apart from regular service, there has been no expenses on oil or otherwise. Don't know if these Taxis are also Diesel or CNG/ Petrol and how much have these run. But so many guys can't be wrong and they must have experience with other vehicles in the past. So something is definitely not correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Just came to know that a basic feature like Android auto is missing in their premium SUV (read: Fortuner)
Actually, not just Fortuner or Innova but also Land Cruiser Prado and LC200
Turbanator is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 18:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a certain batch of Diesel Etios is having this problem. I never heard of such a problem from this engine. Drinking engine oil for about 500 ml in 10,000km was commonly reported from the old gen Diesel Figo owners but never heard from a Toyota Etios owner.

When the Innvoa Crysta was launched, i came to know from the Toyota service center that few diesel Crysta's were having the same problem of drinking engine oil. Toyota solved that internally, mostly by changing the specific engine oil grade.

But hope Toyota resolve this issue ASAP and its really bad that the cabbies had to go till this extent to get their problem solved. Not a behavior expected from Toyota.

Last edited by Samba : 30th September 2018 at 18:07.
Samba is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 20:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

Toyota got to address this on priority no matter the cost. Their #1 USP is taking a royal beating here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
The credit goes to the civic sense and the strict RTO inspections.
You can say that again!

There is a culture in the state to keep the vehicles well kept and maintained. Cars are the pride and joy for most here - no matter the segment it belongs to or whether its private or taxi. And RTO too play a big role here with the strict 'tests' for all yellow boards.
deetjohn is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 20:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Etios owners (mostly cabbies) are staging a mass protest against Toyota on complaints of high engine oil consumption, water entering inside the cabin etc.
Oil consumption:- thought that was a VW speciality.

Water ingress:- This is serious. Didn't a forum member have the same problem with his Innova?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 21:29   #14
BHPian

Etios is one car that I usually get as my Uber/Ola ride. All the cars I've seen have been maintained well in terms of cleanliness. But,very often I've noticed that the engines are being lugged during the city drives at crawling speeds. Many cabbies shift up way too early and the engine is put to stress. None of the private cars I know have this issue.

If it indeed is a defect, Toyota needs to own it up and proactively resolve it or their USP of reliability will be at stake.

PS : I am happy to see people joining hands and using peaceful yet effective means to solve the issues.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 30th September 2018 at 21:33.
--gKrish-- is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2018, 21:51   #15
BHPian

As a former owner of Etios, I find this news a rude surprise. My Etios was a 2013 make, and of course I never faced any such issues in my 72,000 kms of ownership.

No reason to disbelieve so may people. What happened to the famed Toyota quality? Is the high engine oil consumption an issue with specific batches, or with all cars produced post 2016 ?

Hope this news reaches TKM authorities, and they take action to resolve the issue.
motorsan is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed