Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2018, 14:40   #16
BANNED

Re: Ford EcoBoost 1.0L overheating woes (UK, SA, USA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidenzo View Post
I have a 1.0L Ecoboost which has traveled 98k. Since last 25-30k kms i have noticed that the radiator fan is on for long durations. As soon as the speed drops in traffic the fan switches on and stays on till i regain normal speed.
Sometimes it stays on for almost 4-5 mins after i have parked the car. The noise is so loud that it has started to irritate me even while driving. Some people have even approached me when my car is parked thinking i have left the engine running in a parked car.
During this time neither the temperature nor the coolant light has ever come up as a warning.
Have reported this to FASS several times but other can cleaning the radiator grille they haven't done anything, neither have they found any substantial leakage.
I think this is surely related to the overheating problem in Ford's Ecoboost engine.
I have an EcoBoost too but only with about 25k on odo, and the fan stays on for only 30-40 seconds after the car is turned off. Since the car doesn't have a temp guage, if possible try logging the temp using an Obd tool, any cheap Bluetooth dongle will be able to get the temp reading. We could compare it among other cars to detect if that is the issue.
Because the fault could be anywhere, from the radiator to the fan, to even coolant maybe.
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 15:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I have an EcoBoost too but only with about 25k on odo, and the fan stays on for only 30-40 seconds after the car is turned off. Since the car doesn't have a temp guage, if possible try logging the temp using an Obd tool, any cheap Bluetooth dongle will be able to get the temp reading. We could compare it among other cars to detect if that is the issue.
Because the fault could be anywhere, from the radiator to the fan, to even coolant maybe.
Ya sure will do that and share the readings here. Thanks.
Old 16th October 2018, 15:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 1.0L Ecoboost which has traveled 98k. Since last 25-30k kms i have noticed that the radiator fan is on for long ...
I think this is surely related to the overheating problem in Ford's Ecoboost engine.
I have detailed this similar issues with my aunt's Ecosport in the Ecosport thread that GTO sir has quoted. The leak was due to a leaking water pump and even though the pump costs about 12k the total cost with labor came up to 48k rupees due to cost of sealants and 14k rupees worth of bolts and washers ( all this imported from US or Europe).

Coming to your concern, Was the coolant changed recently?
Kindly check the coolant level to see if it's below minimum or dropped a little bit. If yes,there is a leak,if not then the radiator fan running frequently is normal as the turbocharged Ecoboost runs hotter than a normal NA engine and the ambient temperature has increased after the rains.

Also i have observed in my 2011 Petrol Figo that the radiator fan tends to come on frequently even after short drives if the outside temperature is higher. During the monsoons the radiator fan would hardly turn on but as soon as the monsoons stopped the fan started coming on frequently and stays on for a minute even after the car is switched off. I feel Ford has tuned the radiator algorithm to be more sensitive and hence the frequent radiator motion. I don't see this behavior in my current new Swift nor in my old diesel ciaz.

Do let us know if the coolant level has remained constant or not.

P.S There could be an issue with the radiator resistor or a sensor, kindly share the OBD reading if you can before you take it to Ford as those guys will be happy to change stuff that doesn't need to be changed.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 16th October 2018 at 15:37.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 10:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Well, this is absolutely saddening to see a world class company like Ford is trying to conceal the defects and putting the lives at risk! Certainly not done, Ford!

Coolant getting into the exhaust system and eventually the temperature cracking up the cylinder head is damn scary! You either get stranded or get stuck inside to succumb to injuries.

What actions are these safety regulators taking against Ford? When they considered the dieselgate scam so seriously, why not take this at the same intensity and make Ford recall the entire set of Ecoboost engines and compensate the customers?

Mods - did you guys notice anything fishy with the review vehicle from one of bhpians? Perhaps, you send a global note to those bhpians owning an ecoboost to be aware of this serious issue, who aren’t active on the forum and won’t be seeing this thread? Just a caution note might help spread the word.
Old 17th October 2018, 13:19   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 1.0L Ecoboost which has traveled 98k. Since last 25-30k kms i have noticed that the radiator fan is on for long durations. As soon as the speed drops in traffic the fan switches on and stays on till i regain normal speed.
This should start ringing alarm bells, for sure. Neglecting engine overheating symptoms is the most face-palm worthy thing a car owner can do. After neglecting lubrication aspects, that is.

Abnormally long fan ON times is a sure shot way of an overheating engine, if you ask me. The reasons could vary but the meaning is the same. Your engine cooling system is under stress because there's overheating happening. Get help mate.
Old 9th February 2019, 15:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Not read any reports of overheating on Team-BHP though. Hopefully, it stays that way.
I have faced engine seizure in my Ecoboost, just finished writing the post in the Ecosport: Official review thread.

Last edited by sidenzo : 9th February 2019 at 15:21.
sidenzo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 10:17   #22
BHPian

My 2017 Ford Fusion 2.0 L Ecoboost AWD suffered engine failure at just 60,000 kms.

Faced sudden overheating and power loss while driving on one of the busiest highways of North America.

Don’t want to elaborate on the struggle I faced to get it to the nearest dealership. There was heavy snow fall with the temperature dipping below -21 degrees and even the heater stopped working. Almost froze to death that night.

Thankfully the entire engine (long block) was replaced under warranty. Though I had to pay over 400 dollars on rental car which they refused to reimburse as the rental I took was a Kia (for the sake of reliability) instead of a ford branded vehicle

This happened in January this year.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 09:48   #23

Hi everyone,

I am one such guy who experienced the 1.0l Ecoboost overheating issue which lead to replacing the entire engine under extended warranty. All this happened with just 20,000 km on the odo. But since then the car is done another 25,000 km without much problems. But with this new replaced engine the car is no longer free revving to the redline. Limits at about 4000 - 5000 rpm. Even the speed i can do with the replaced engine is easily 30-40 kmph lower than the original engine.

Any suggestions what could be the reason or what can one do now?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks