Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2018, 11:23   #91
BHPian

Re: The Biggest Blunders in the Indian Automotive Scene

When a brand becomes the name/face of the segment it lies in, it becomes Iconic. And companies owning the brand take great pains to encash and maintain the iconic status. Anything that is bare bones, have a canvas top is still called a Jeep (not Thar - that is also called a jeep!) - And How FCA defends that! Same is with RE (anything macho, bare-bone with classic looks and that typical "gud-gud-gud-gud" Exhaust note is called a Bullet).

But then, some companies just let it go and die slowly. Usual suspect - Tata (with Sumo). Still today, in villages and small towns, anything that can seat 8, with a hard top, is called a Sumo (another matter that now it is almost invariably a Bolero actually). Tata let it fade away.

Unusual suspect - Maruti Suzuki. They have no plans for Gypsy (and none for Jimny as well) in India. What a pity.

In 2 wheeler segment, at least TVS is trying quite hard to keep it's Segment defining face - the Scooty, alive and kicking.

Yamaha have no plans to re-launch the RX100 sticker, Or Suzuki to consider Shogun. Would have been quite a success.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th October 2018 at 17:03. Reason: Jipsy, suzuki.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 11:53   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashwin Morey View Post
I vaguely remember Honda City 1st gen came with 100 bhp and then the 2nd gen was reduced to like 66 bhp or something, my memory must have horribly mixed up the facts because it does sound stupid even when i am writing it, but still I am curious if anyone remembers something like this.
You are right. I also don't remember the exact bhp but when the 2nd gen City was launched, it did not have the 1.5 L VTEC engine from 1st gen City. I remember that it had non VTEC 1.5 L with 80ish bhp. When they launched the facelift City ZX in 2005/6, the top variant had the 1.5 L VTEC engine with 100 odd bhp. My father bought this variant and it was such a fun car to drive.
Immix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 12:39   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Shall we make this the "Biggest Blunders in Indian Automobile Scene"?

1) Bajaj Auto exiting scooter segment because the segment was shrinking when Rahul Bajaj took the decision. Now scooters account for 30 - 35% of all Indian two wheeler sales.
Wouldn't say so.

1. If recalled correctly Bajaj did try its level best to compete in scooters.

"Chetak 4 Stroke- Wave-Saffire-Kristal" were all 4 stroke Scooter attempts. The Kristal was still on sale when Rajiv Bajaj took the decision to quit "trying" to sell scooters.. quite simply because hardly anybody was interested to buy one from Bajaj.

2. I would rather say that the manner if which the "Discover" brand was (mis)handled is a classic case study of a Fiasco.
  • Loosing the first mover advantage - Come to think of it the Discover was launched as a 125 cc much before the (now 125 cc leaders) the Honda Shine and the Hero Glamour.
  • Loosing Focus: Even before it could establish as a 125 cc, Bajaj launched a 112 cc Discover.
  • More Variants - more - and more - am at loss for words

1. Discover 125
    2. Discover 112
    3. Discover 135
    4. Discover 100
    5. Discover 125 (Once Again)
    6. Discover 150
    7. Discover 125 ST (Mono Shock)
    8. Discover 125M
    9. Discover 100T
    10. Discover 100M
    11. Discover 150F
    12. Discover 150S

Latest in the Discover Saga
    13. Discover 125 (One More Time)
    14. Discover 110

PHEW

Come to think of it.. apart from the Puksar launch, the Discover did have one of the best launches

Last edited by payeng : 5th October 2018 at 13:09.
payeng is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 12:50   #94
BHPian

Fiat India's case may go down in automotive history as one of the biggest and longest phases of self-destruction. While Maruti has used the 1.3 MJD from Fiat to the fullest, Fiat itself has shown nonchalance, indifference and apathy to a degree that is hard to be replicated anywhere in the globe. While automobile companies have committed gaffes, they have tried to compensate those. In the case of Fiat, there is only a 'one-way traffic' of blunders and neglect. Perplexed, to say the least.
Kuldeep31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 13:02   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkveda View Post
I searched for this entire thread to read a term called "QUALIS" but surprisingly, the word is missing.
Really a big blunder by Toyota in my Opinion
Was it a Blunder??

Toyota knew the popularity of the Qualis would work against establishing Innova in the market! I would say it was a very brave move by Toyota to stop the best selling Qualis and introduce the Innova - and the rest is history we all know well!

Other BHPians seem to agree as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post

Toyota stopping the production of Qualis, when they launched Innova.

The Qualis was a market hit. But to stop cannibalism and push the Innova, Toyota stopped production of their Qualis. That forced customers to buy the Innova. At the launch Innova was priced around 7L . Once the Indian buyers got the taste of this MUV, there was no looking back for Toyota. At this point they sale the Innova Crysta at 20L and still it has a great demand in the market.

Attachment 1804922
Geo_Ipe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 13:16   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator
Yamaha have no plans to re-launch the RX100 sticker, Or Suzuki to consider Shogun. Would have been quite a success.
RX-100/ Suzuki Shogun in 4-stroke Avatars? Not completely sure how can that bring back volumes for these two companies in the fiercely competitive 100-125 cc segment. Relaunching them will only dilute the brand name without any corresponding benefits or reclamation of bygone ecstasy. IMO, let these classics remain etched in our memory as the hallmarks of passion, performance, simplicity and reliability.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th October 2018 at 17:03. Reason: Quote fixed.
Kuldeep31 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 13:46   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Was it a Blunder??

Toyota knew the popularity of the Qualis would work against establishing Innova in the market! I would say it was a very brave move by Toyota to stop the best selling Qualis and introduce the Innova - and the rest is history we all know well!
I agree completely. Innova is arguably the better product compared to the Qualis, and they knew they had the golden egg with the Innova. Having the Qualis around would only harm them and possibly cannibalise the Innova's market share. I know people who swear by the Innova, back when it was 7-10 lacs and today when its pushing 25 lacs.
Porcupine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 13:50   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Was it a Blunder??

Other BHPians seem to agree as well!
I think it is indeed a blunder since Qualis sales was doing very well till its end. If Toyota had launched innova by branding it as a different class of Car, another segment of customers would have got created for Innova.

More over, the luxury and plush of innova was not present in Qualis. Hence, definitely, it would have created another customer segment. But, now, anyway, it is a history
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 14:13   #99
BHPian

Quote:
But Toyota's blunder on Qualis is suicidal. The car sales was going in super high speed but Toyota stopped the production suddenly and replaced with Innova.

Really a big blunder by Toyota in my Opinion
The Qualis sold in India (2000-2004) was globally sold as the third generation of Toyota Kijang (1986-1996). Toyota moved on to fourth generation in 1997 globally. However, we were still getting the old third generation platform with some drivetrain components being shared with the fourth generation Kijang (as per Wikipedia).

I think it was a good decision by Toyota to phase out an old generation car from our market and gave us the all new Innova in line with its global production.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 14:42   #100
BHPian

Quote:
I searched for this entire thread to read a term called "QUALIS" but surprisingly, the word is missing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
AFAIK Qualis was discontinued because Toyota was unsure of it meeting the next stage of both emission and safety norms (norms that were not present in India ATM, but Toyota wanted to adhere to as a apart of its corporate image)

Toyota's global policy doesn't allow Toyota Kirloskar to sell 2 generations of the same model side by side.

That's also the reason the old Innova too was phased out when Crysta was launched. Many had the same sentiments that the Innova and the Innova Crysta should have been sold together.

Last edited by Karthik Chandra : 5th October 2018 at 14:48.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 15:09   #101
BHPian

The Rover Montego and the even rarer estate version! Priced at over a million rupees those days, it was out of reach for most Indians. The company which brought that - Sipani, which also produced Dolphins, couldn't manage sales with Maruti 800 coming in and was out of business in no time.
harishF1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 15:29   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Toyota launching outdated hatchbacks & sedans in India
For me, this one should there in the top 5! They did so much of market study, top officials from Toyota visited Indian homes to understand the Indian mindset, and if I remember correctly, had A.R. Rahman in their commercials/theme song. It was almost like Rahman doing a bad remix of a song from the 80’s. The car was instantly recognizable as a Soluna/Vios which I remember seeing on Bangkok roads back in 2001-2002. Brand Toyota took a huge beating with that move I believe. Back then if they had launched the Vios/Yaris instead, Toyota would have been up there with Honda and Hyundai in the respective segments. The damage is such that the Yaris which came in recently have no chance to survive.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 15:39   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Going completely OT here. I have ridden a Saffire a few times and a few kms each time. I must say it was the smoothest motor which sounded more like a whisper. That was almost 15 years ago and my memory could be failing but I think I haven't ridden anything that smooth till date.
I would have to agree with you. I had this scooter for over 5 years and eventually did about 40k kms, but it spent time in the garage for something called "compression leakage" almost every second month. I made it a point not to use to scooter whenever I was to go too far from the service center
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 16:00   #104
BHPian

One blunder i can clearly remember is the launch of Diesel Royal Enfield in the 1980s which if i remember correctly came with a 325 cc engine. Never really took off.

Then we at the same time had a Sooraj Diesel Motorcycle also being launched with fuel economy in the high 80s by a Saharanpur based company. There are still some floating around i believe.

Needless to say both these vehicles had no requirement of a horn.
nkghai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2018, 16:34   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
One blunder i can clearly remember is the launch of Diesel Royal Enfield in the 1980s which if i remember correctly came with a 325 cc engine. Never really took off.

I suggest you to pay a visit to Gujarat. You can find a 'Chhakda' in every nook and corner of the state. The 'Chhakda' is nothing but a modified version of Enfield Taurus and sells at a premium cost of Rs. 1.5 to 2 lakh. There are thousands of these little monsters thumping all the roads and highways of Gujarat. Those are the real MUVs.
Ry_der is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks