Not sure 3 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 19:57   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
I prefer a car which has both ABS and Airbags. Diesel or petrol car is secondary and safety is primary for me.
My point of contention is not what you or me prefer, but why the hell does the manufacturer choose for us
I prefer Tata's approach -Aura ABS, for people who want just ABS & Aura+, for ABS + AIRBAGS combo.
Old 6th December 2010, 20:03   #182
Senior - BHPian

If safety is what he is looking for then buy one having both ABS & Airbags!!
IMO safety should never be optional
Old 6th December 2010, 20:12   #183
Team-BHP Support

Just wondering, has any one here actually experienced/known someone who was saved by Airbags (Indian experiences only!).

I myself agree safety should never be compromised and in my reply in this thread have mentioned that ABS is strict yes and Airbags essential too.

But, given Indian conditions and cars, how effective are Airbags?
Old 6th December 2010, 20:18   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Just wondering, has any one here actually experienced/known someone who was saved by Airbags (Indian experiences only!).
Here you go.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...takes-hit.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...it-st-bus.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ate-delhi.html
Old 6th December 2010, 20:26   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Going by that yardstick, my friend, MUL should not be able to sell the swift @ 8000-10000 units p.m. It's the opposite that's happening, since 2005.
Regards,
Varun Nair
Have a look at the International Road Accident Fatality Statistics for the year 2004. We have one of the highest death rates in the world. Of course we have one of the highest population rates too.

In developed countries, these same car manufacturers provide safety features like airbags & ABS. But not in our country because these are not made mandatory by our govt & our people also put money before safety!

Before we didn't have much choices, as none of the affordable cars came with these safety features. Now that these are available, and have choices, we should definitely go in for the cars which have all those safety features that we can afford.

One should be concerned about his/her own safety; 'thousands are ignorant' is no valid reason for us not to consider it.

Last year's 'Global Status Report on Road Safety' states that atleast 13 people die on indian roads every hour.

If the features like ABS and airbags can save lives, and that if both are available in some affordable & reliable car, why should one compromise and go in for a car which doesn't have both the features!

Wouldn't it be better that we, as educated Indians, try not to be a figure in one of those statistics. And not be a "Paddey Likhhey Ann-Padd” as discussed in one of the threads.

Last edited by Abes : 6th December 2010 at 20:34.
Old 6th December 2010, 20:28   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

I myself agree safety should never be compromised and in my reply in this thread have mentioned that ABS is strict yes and Airbags essential too.

But, given Indian conditions and cars, how effective are Airbags?
I'm not sure why the use of Airbags is categorised by the Country (driving conditions). I feel an impact is an impact wherever that happens. I for one had a terrible accident when I was in US and was saved (with only airbag injuries on face) by Airbags.
To answer this thread, I would say ABS and Airbags are essential. If you are not able to afford both, then my priority is Airbags > ABS.
Old 6th December 2010, 20:42   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
I'm not sure why the use of Airbags is categorised by the Country (driving conditions). I feel an impact is an impact wherever that happens. I for one had a terrible accident when I was in US and was saved (with only airbag injuries on face) by Airbags.
To answer this thread, I would say ABS and Airbags are essential. If you are not able to afford both, then my priority is Airbags > ABS.
Injury due to Airbags-could you elaborate on this, if you dont mind?!!!!

Last edited by powertrain : 6th December 2010 at 20:44. Reason: typo
Old 6th December 2010, 20:44   #188
Team-BHP Support

I am so glad at least 1 of my vehicles (City) has both; the earlier ones (Zen and Corsa) are 2005 manufactured so there wasn't an option then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTorque View Post
By Indian conditions, I meant our roads; the magnitude and frequency of pot holes.

Of course, I am completely for any necessary safety feature.
Old 6th December 2010, 21:12   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Injury due to Airbags-could you elaborate on this, if you dont mind?!!!!
Sure. Abrasion of the skin, sore eye and other minor facial injuries are quite common for Airbag injuries. I had a sore eye (which I couldn't open for a month) and one side of my face with minor scars in the accident in which I happend to be a copassenger in the front seat. Just google for airbag injuries and you would be quite amazed by how bad they can be. However, they still save lifes, in comparision that is a good tradeoff!
Old 6th December 2010, 21:23   #190
Senior - BHPian

Would have been a definite ABS, and Airbags only if I had "spare" cash, but reading through the thread has made me think a bit about that. I'm still sure I'll opt for ABS as a Non-essential, but Airbags are creeping up there too.

Reasons are:

1. Potholes, "sudden loss of road" due to erosion or poor maintenance or Work In Progress
2. Generally lower speed (relatively, even on highways, by choice)

However, good points in favour of air-bags are that there might be others who are not as careful as me.

Edit: One good change would be an ABS or + version on all variants (eg. Terra (ABS) or Terra+).

Last edited by VeluM : 6th December 2010 at 21:25.
Old 6th December 2010, 21:27   #191
BHPian

My vote would go for ABS first and then Airbags (front + side would be ideal). Both should be made mandatory for all vehicles but that may never happen in India. The general mindset is "I would rather spend 30K and upgrade my ICE rather than go for a ABS car" and "airbags are not needed since I have never needed them so far".

It is baffling why car makers provide one safety option and exclude the other. I can only think of competition and reducing costs as the sole reason.

Last edited by fuel_addict : 6th December 2010 at 21:30.
Old 6th December 2010, 21:28   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes. Either it is the wrong question, or the answer must be that it simply should not be a choice.
Completely agree with you
If your preference is safety, better not discriminate the safety features. They both adds safety and will be useful in different scenarios and one can't replace the benefit of others.

so the question is are you serious about safety or not. If safety is your priary consideration go for both ABS and Airbags.
Old 6th December 2010, 21:30   #193
Team-BHP Support

ABS before I crash.
Airbags in the moments after I crash.

My next car, I would really like to have both. Ignorance was the reason, I did not realise the importance when I was buying my current car. Now I know better.

Thanks Team-BHP.
Old 6th December 2010, 22:09   #194
Senior - BHPian

I would go for Airbags. I feel that airbags are a lot useful than ABS. Yes obviously ABS is superbly useful no doubt. I would prefer both though. But somehow dont you think guys that Airbags has a better probability of saving the driver than the ABS. The ABS can save you but Airbags makes me feel a little more confident and secure and safe.
So airbags it is for me.
Old 6th December 2010, 23:40   #195
BHPian

I prefer airbags over ABS anyday.

I have experienced ABS three times in my Cruze and let me tell you its an extremely unnerving feeling when you have absolutely no control over the duration of the action of the ABS. It pulses vehemently below your feet without giving any feel of the brakes. I would any day prefer to have more number of airbags all around the passenger compartment before I put in money for the ABS if there was a choice. Like for example if given a choice between 2 airbags with ABS and 10 airbags without ABS I would always take the option where there are 10 air bags. Too much is being made about the beneficial aspect of ABS on roads that are not iced or sandy. How many of you have felt ABS working below your feet. Pray that you never have to feel it. Its a real bad experience.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed