They dont help, not required 2 1.07%
Cost too much, otherwise I like to have them fitted 41 21.93%
Not sure 3 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2007, 12:24   #76
BHPian

Exactly not many people will get it rectifed. I have seen few skodas where Airbag holes were just covered up without replacements...
Old 11th January 2007, 12:36   #77
BHPian

I am fine with whatever arguments are presented, I also agree they are expensive at present. What do you think is a reasonable price say Rs 10K for both of them or 10K for ABS and 25K for airbags or vice versa. Some numbers from you please.
Old 11th January 2007, 12:50   #78
BHPian

I would want to have both ABS and Airbags but the prices need to be brought down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Airbags only if they can bring the replacement cost down to a reasonable level.
for Airbags - the replacement cost should come down to a reasonable level.
Old 12th January 2007, 12:39   #79
BHPian

whats a reasonable level

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyPlayer View Post
I would want to have both ABS and Airbags but the prices need to be brought down.

for Airbags - the replacement cost should come down to a reasonable level.
I agree, but what do you think is reasoanble ?
Old 12th January 2007, 14:33   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I agree, but what do you think is reasoanble ?
I would say 15-20k for a set of airbags would be reasonable. If I have to spend Rs. 2 Lacs on replacing them, then I have would have second thoughts.
Old 12th January 2007, 20:40   #81
Senior - BHPian

what would be the cost for replacement of airbags for a B+ segment car?

Can some one write down the parts that needs to be replaced for refittment of airbags. Bringing back the dash into shape will fetch only 50% of insurance reclaim. Parts involved for refittment will give some rough idea on return from insurance company
Old 12th January 2007, 20:50   #82
BHPian

In fact regular use of seatbelts will reduce the need of an airbag. Most airbags are designed to protect the unbelted occupant. If the occupant is belted, the seatbelt restrains the person in the seat.

Seatbelts and airbags have the same basic function - to prevent the occupant from hitting any hard points of the vehicle which are likely to cause injuries. Seatbelts are active safety systems (the occupant has to actively belt-up), while airbags are passive safety systems (the occupant doesnt have to do anything to activate an airbag). Seatbelts are designed to protect the occupant even at high speeds. Seatbelt pull analysis, the seatbelt anchorage analysis, seat-pull analysis are all standard analyses performed by most manufacturers. In the US, FMVSS207, FMVSS209 & FMVSS210 are mandatory tests for seats of all vehicles.

Quote:
So far 75% think ABS is required, 56% think Airbags required and about 26% think they are prohibitively expensive. I have a couple of questions

Is it that we think if ABS is available we'll avoid most (say 99.99%) collisions, so there is no need of airbags ?

Wouldn't airbags save lives if we have a collision ?

What is a reasonable price to pay for ABS and Airbags separately ? I think 25K to 50K sounds reasonable for life saving features.

What do you think ?
Old 12th January 2007, 21:02   #83
BHPian

Quote:
The only problem is ABS and Airbags are still very expensive in India. One way the prices could be brought down is to make them essential on all cars.
As far as I know, the cost of replacing an airbag on a standard car in the US is $500 (approx INR 22500). Depending on the make and the OEM, it can easily go upto $1000. I got this info from my colleague in the US. Also checked on google and got similar prices.
Old 16th January 2007, 14:15   #84
BHPian

you can vote for both

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
There's no option for voting for both.

I want them and I have them. Wouldn't buy another car unless it had them.
Multiple selections are ok in this vote, you could tick check box for both.
Old 16th January 2007, 20:14   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know, the cost of replacing an airbag on a standard car in the US is $500 (approx INR 22500). Depending on the make and the OEM, it can easily go upto $1000.
In India some tax/duty is also added to this amount which further escalates the cost.Manufacturers have been trying to get the government to reduce/completely remove this tax[so far no success].

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 16th January 2007 at 20:15.
Old 16th January 2007, 20:23   #86
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Multiple selections are ok in this vote, you could tick check box for both.
This is a logic problem. "ABS only and Airbags only" is a logical contradiction. It does not mean "ABS and Airbags", which you should have had as a separate option. But never mind, I think we will understand what is intended ("ABS and Airbags") if somebody votes for both "ABS only" and "Airbags only".
Old 17th January 2007, 12:02   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil3456 View Post
In fact regular use of seatbelts will reduce the need of an airbag. is belted, the seatbelt restrains the person in the seat.

Seatbelts and airbags have the same basic function - to prevent the occupant from hitting any hard points of the vehicle which are likely to cause injuries. SeatbelMost airbags are designed to protect the unbelted occupant. If the occupant ts are active safety systems (the occupant has to actively belt-up), while airbags are passive safety systems (the occupant doesnt have to do anything to activate an airbag). Seatbelts are designed to protect the occupant even at high speeds. Seatbelt pull analysis, the seatbelt anchorage analysis, seat-pull analysis are all standard analyses performed by most manufacturers. In the US, FMVSS207, FMVSS209 & FMVSS210 are mandatory tests for seats of all vehicles.
Even if the persons are belted,what happens when hardpoint coming towards the belted person in case of heavy crash. Is it not that airbags come handy in those situations

Last edited by Surprise : 17th January 2007 at 12:04.
Old 17th January 2007, 12:18   #88
Senior - BHPian

I would like to have traction control as well .. The list will not end here !!
Old 17th January 2007, 12:26   #89
BHPian

shouldn't the insurance company pay for the replacement of airbags? i think they should & regarding people riding scooters not being able to buy an alto cause of higher price due to ABS & airbags, i think we should rather have safer cars than sorry drivers.
Old 17th January 2007, 14:07   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani View Post
shouldn't the insurance company pay for the replacement of airbags? i think they should & regarding people riding scooters not being able to buy an alto cause of higher price due to ABS & airbags, i think we should rather have safer cars than sorry drivers.
Please see from their point of view... They find Alto without airbags safer than scooters...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks