They dont help, not required 2 1.07%
Cost too much, otherwise I like to have them fitted 41 21.93%
Not sure 3 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2007, 15:22   #91
BHPian

Honestly there isnt really much room for debate on this - ABS and Airbags(even in some cases if they have cons) are a standard safety feature the world over. To not have these is like riding a car " bareback" if you know what I mean. Of course we continue to do it - and I think it makes us just like the people who go hesitate to go upto a chemist and ask for condoms.
Because as consumers we deserve to have these safety features in our cars.
Cost - pah - thats an excuse used by the manufacturers - if all their cars had this as standard - the cost would come down sharply - due to bulk purchase/manufacture
In USA side impact curtains are mandatory now- why not in India - where even standard airbags are available only in segment D cars (except the recent Swift, Estilo , wagon r - as options) and ABS is not available sometimes.
If we keep up with our developed "friends" in emission norms why not in safety norms - bloody automaker lobbies - damn them.
Ah just letting off steam
Old 17th January 2007, 19:02   #92
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani View Post
shouldn't the insurance company pay for the replacement of airbags? i think they should & regarding people riding scooters not being able to buy an alto cause of higher price due to ABS & airbags, i think we should rather have safer cars than sorry drivers.
That is what you think. The insurance companies, on the other hand, may think that it is better to have sorry drivers rather than safer cars at *their* expense.
Old 17th January 2007, 19:36   #93
BHPian

ABS and Airbags should cost less than medical

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
That is what you think. The insurance companies, on the other hand, may think that it is better to have sorry drivers rather than safer cars at *their* expense.
May be true, but don't you think insurance companies have to pay less for personal injury and loss of life if cars are equipped with ABS and airbags ?

May be you can throw some light on how it benefits insurance companies if airbags and ABS are not equipped.
Old 17th January 2007, 19:49   #94
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
May be true, but don't you think insurance companies have to pay less for personal injury and loss of life if cars are equipped with ABS and airbags ?

May be you can throw some light on how it benefits insurance companies if airbags and ABS are not equipped.
The bottom line is that insurance companies are motivated by profit. The question you raise is an interesting one: If insurance companies were to subsidize airbags and ABS so that the common man can buy safer cars, will that generate long-term profit for insurance companies? I very much doubt it in the Indian context. What will likely happen is that the subsidized ABS and Airbags will be prone to failure and our people will keep making all kinds of claims (many of these probably fake) to the insurance companies.

Of course if someone wishes to take a policy on his airbags/ABS I am sure that can be done if the insurance companies can be convinced that this is normally reliable equipment that fails very rarely and is not subject to tampering by the car owner for fraudulent claims. But then the car owner would probably have to pay a hefty premium for the insurance policy, which would be the source of profit for the insurance companies.
Old 19th January 2007, 13:57   #95
BHPian

that is the case even without ABS and Airbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
The bottom line is that insurance companies are motivated by profit. The question you raise is an interesting one: If insurance companies were to subsidize airbags and ABS so that the common man can buy safer cars, will that generate long-term profit for insurance companies? I very much doubt it in the Indian context. What will likely happen is that the subsidized ABS and Airbags will be prone to failure and our people will keep making all kinds of claims (many of these probably fake) to the insurance companies.

Of course if someone wishes to take a policy on his airbags/ABS I am sure that can be done if the insurance companies can be convinced that this is normally reliable equipment that fails very rarely and is not subject to tampering by the car owner for fraudulent claims. But then the car owner would probably have to pay a hefty premium for the insurance policy, which would be the source of profit for the insurance companies.
All kinds of claims is a problem even when there is are no ABS and Airbags. For a safer car one gets bonus from insurance companies, so they pay less premium compared to similarly equipped car without ABS/ Airbags. But what I am trying to say is the insurance companies are likely to end up paying less for medical and loss of life when cars are equipped with airbags. In the US the premiums used to be based on zip code, each zip code is evaluated for possibility of theft, flood, earth quake, ..... As things get more streamlined its likely to happen in India too.
Old 19th January 2007, 13:59   #96
BHPian

surely i will go for ABS. But not for Airbags due to cost factor. Once airbag used , you will have to install again i believe which increases cost
Old 19th January 2007, 14:19   #97
Senior - BHPian

Undoubtebly yes. I would want both in my car. The primary reason being : Psychological Safety advantage for the driver and the passenger as well.
Trust me, it really helps.

X
Old 23rd January 2007, 23:09   #98
BHPian

Good going. Only 130 have voted so far, I was expecting more. Is that all the active members on our forum ?
Old 24th January 2007, 00:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

Yes, yes and yes. ABS and air bags are potential life savers and I do hope manufacturers start putting 4/6 airbags atleast on the options list.
Old 25th January 2007, 07:18   #100
BANNED

Got the following piece of info from the net which propagates that Air bags are dangerous because.......
Quote:
Air bags are small canister of sodium azide that releases nitrogen gas and sodium hydroxide dust. This product is both flammable and toxic. Nitrogen, which comprises 78 percent of the air we breathe, is the gas that inflates air bags. The solid chemical, sodium azide, generates the nitrogen gas by combustion.

Sodium azide is in the same class of chemicals as insecticides and is toxic if ingested, but car occupants won't come into contact with the chemical. This chemical reaction causes the air bag to inflate with over 1000 pounds of pressure. During this inflation, the canister heats up to about 300 degrees of temperature. To aid in a smooth release, the air bag is coated with either talc or cornstarch. Once the sensors are tripped, the air bag is triggered in about .05 of a second. The air bag then takes only another .1 of a second more to fully inflate. The next half-second is spent deflating the air bag. At this point you will need to consider the size of the bag. It is slightly larger around than your steering wheel, and will extend back about nine inches to a foot. If your hands are on the steering wheel when it deploys they will probably be knocked off. Consider what may be between you and your air bag, like a cup of hot coffee, your hands, or your glasses. This will be smashed into your body and/or your face.

Children and air bags do not mix. Air bags could seriously injure or kill children who are sitting in the front seat.
Is this piece of info correct or is just a hoax ?
Old 25th January 2007, 11:04   #101
BHPian

correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Got the following piece of info from the net which propagates that Air bags are dangerous because.......

Is this piece of info correct or is just a hoax ?
This is a well known fact. Dont know too many technical details, but there have been incidents where children/ people have been killed because of airbags. That is why children are not expected to be in front seats. Also driver and front seat passenger are not supposed to be sitting close to steering wheel. But overall in majority cases airbags are claimed to be saving lives.
Old 25th January 2007, 13:30   #102

My car in the us has a total of six airbags and abs with ebd...i refuse to buy a car without at least airbags for the driver and front passenger. I do not know how some of you can cheap out on safety!
Old 25th January 2007, 13:46   #103
BANNED

i require air bags

hey,
I would love to install air bags in my car only on the passenger end.....the driver end...I have a santro and dont even have abs or power stearing....
I guess i will purchase it all in the new car i buy.....But in some incidents the air bags dont work.....My friend banged his optra in dec from the front left side but the air bag never came out...So not necessary the air bag being in the car it will always work....Some times these air bags installation is also faulty thus does not work when required, could be dangerous.
cheers
Old 25th January 2007, 14:18   #104
BHPian

one does not dart across the street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
My car in the us has a total of six airbags and abs with ebd...i refuse to buy a car without at least airbags for the driver and front passenger. I do not know how some of you can cheap out on safety!
US is a different kind of country. People do not dart across streets, follow lane discipline and are more safety conscious than we indians are. Car is more or less an item for assumingly well to do people.
Old 25th January 2007, 19:11   #105
Senior - BHPian

I would like to have both ABS and Airbags.... But mostly ABS...

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks