They dont help, not required 2 1.07%
Cost too much, otherwise I like to have them fitted 41 21.93%
Not sure 3 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 15:57   #166
BHPian

If I must choose between the two, ABS comes first. I would loosely compare ABS to 'prevention' and Airbags to 'Cure'. Prevention is always better than cure.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:09   #167
BHPian

its already time now to have both safety features. ABS will help a long way in preventing the accidents and airbags along with seat belts will help in case of the unavoidable situations
Sometimes I get in an argument with my friends and relatives over necessity of these features. with having to listen reasons like its not required really in India, why do you need airbags, why to spend 20k or 40k for abs or airbag. it really becomes tough to explain the importance
Old 6th December 2010, 16:16   #168
BHPian

Given an option, I would prefer Airbags. As others have said, I have control over brakes and have alternatives. If there is no ABS and you dash, atleast your life is saved. You should always plan for the worst.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:18   #169
BHPian

My vote goes for both. No point on compromising on safety. Shame on MUL and Nissan to not offer both.

Figo is a very good car and sells in decent numbers (close to 5000+/month). I understand that Ford has reduced the cost of spares and also offer a program lile Chevy.

Cost of ownership is a factor which I feel should not be compromised for safety.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:44   #170
Senior - BHPian

The notion that non-ABS cars have shorter stopping distance is open for interpretation. Majority of the tests conducted on this topic usually involve skilled drivers and under controlled conditions.
Consider the instance of a normal person driving a non-ABS car. More than the stopping distance, its the panic and reflex response that will trigger most incidents. Most modern ABS systems come equipped with EBD (except for a few cars).
If you conduct the same tests multiple times, a car with ABS and EBD will provide consistent level of braking performance and offer better control over a non-ABS one.
This is what is needed for an average Indian car driver who forgets(ignores) to use the seat belts which are essentially required for the operation of Airbags.

Having said that Airbags do save and have saved lives. It is highly recommended that one opts for both these safety features. Nothing saves more lives than wearing the seat belts and driving cautiously.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:48   #171
BHPian

Airbags

For me the choice has to be airbags.

We do tend to break frequently - with this I agree. But breaking is an activity that can be controlled.

We actually need something that will protect us when things get out of control. Airbags can save lives.

Just a personal opinion though.
Old 6th December 2010, 16:59   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz_303 View Post
For me the choice has to be airbags.

We do tend to break frequently - with this I agree. But breaking is an activity that can be controlled.

We actually need something that will protect us when things get out of control. Airbags can save lives.

Just a personal opinion though.

Accidents happens once in a life time but hard braking....?

If not both, I personally prefer ABS over Airbags as its better to avoid accidents than protecting life in an accident.

Last edited by coolclouds : 6th December 2010 at 17:07.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:03   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Accidents happens once in a life time but hard braking....?

I personally prefer ABS over Airbags as its better to avoid accidents than protecting life in an accident.
No offence, but what if the life is snuffed out in that single accident.

We need both active and passive safety features (ABS and Airbags), there are no compromise when it comes to a person's life.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:14   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
No offence, but what if the life is snuffed out in that single accident.

We need both active and passive safety features (ABS and Airbags), there are no compromise when it comes to a person's life.
Me too agree here but safety comes at a cost... there are lot of buyers who can not afford to buy at least one !

Last edited by coolclouds : 6th December 2010 at 17:16.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:37   #175
Senior - BHPian

Here's something to discuss on a hypothetical situation...

I keep a steady 100 Kmph on highway & all of a sudden a cattle appears pops in the front; I apply brakes, ABS kicks in, vehicle doesn't skid, I'm safe, cattle is safe, car is safe.

But here's what actually happens; there's a moron who dances behind me to overtake & meanwhile the above has happened; finally he rams behind my vehicle at a greater speed.

The cattle walks away as if nothing happened; I leave the rest of the situation for you to analyze.

In the above situation is the ABS or Airbags protecting me from the dancing moron or the cattle? Who is more important to remain safe?

PS - I'm just giving this hypothetical situation just to keep my thinking straight, if ABS is better than Airbags, that's all. No offence!!! Anyday I would say, if one is equipped with vitamin M, one SHOULD go to opt for all the possible safety aspects in the car that money could buy. No second thoughts on it.

Last edited by aargee : 6th December 2010 at 17:40.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:52   #176
Senior - BHPian

An active safety feature compared to a passive safety feature, again.

As per Skoda, they don't compromise on safety and offer Airbags as a standard feature in every Fabia (not sure if same is the case with Octavia/Laura/Superb/Yeti)
Do Airbags cost less than ABS?
Does Skoda feel that Airbags are more important than ABS?
Is it just Skoda or do we have similar car manufacturers anywhere else?
Is there another car manufacturer who offers ABS as a standard feature in all their cars in India?

PS: Just wish to clarify that the questions above are genuine questions from my side, no sarcasm or anything.

Last edited by fine69 : 6th December 2010 at 17:54.
Old 6th December 2010, 18:04   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Anyday I would say, if one is equipped with vitamin M, one SHOULD go to opt for all the possible safety aspects in the car that money could buy. No second thoughts on it.
Yes. Either it is the wrong question, or the answer must be that it simply should not be a choice.
Old 6th December 2010, 18:26   #178
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
First option is both ABS and Airbags.

Last option is at least ABS as we brake more frequently so ABS helps in preventing accidents.
+1

In non ABS cars like IKON etc in stop and go traffic and sudden braking the wheels get easily locked creating very tense moments . If you have to choose and if both safety features are not available the ABS can be preferred over airbags.

Cheers
Old 6th December 2010, 18:41   #179
BHPian

ABS + Airbags

I prefer a car which has both ABS and Airbags. Diesel or petrol car is secondary and safety is primary for me.
Old 6th December 2010, 19:23   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
An active safety feature compared to a passive safety feature, again.

As per Skoda, they don't compromise on safety and offer Airbags as a standard feature in every Fabia (not sure if same is the case with Octavia/Laura/Superb/Yeti)
Do Airbags cost less than ABS?
Does Skoda feel that Airbags are more important than ABS?
Is it just Skoda or do we have similar car manufacturers anywhere else?
Is there another car manufacturer who offers ABS as a standard feature in all their cars in India?

PS: Just wish to clarify that the questions above are genuine questions from my side, no sarcasm or anything.
I doubt if that's really because of Skoda's policy about safety.
May be they only have steering wheel kit with AirBag fitted !
They also gave heated ORVMs as standard, I wonder why? !
Closed Thread

Most Viewed