They dont help, not required 2 1.07%
Cost too much, otherwise I like to have them fitted 41 21.93%
Not sure 3 1.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2007, 23:33   #31
BANNED

I would like to have both of them. And can somebody make it a bit cheaper??
Old 8th January 2007, 10:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

A report BY the NHTSA[usa] with regards ABS[1993 report,so may have become outdated]:

1>.The risk of fatal collisions with pedestrians and bicyclists was reduced by a statistically significant 27 percent in passenger cars with ABS. Unlike the effects for multivehicle crashes, this reduction was about equally large on wet and dry roads.

2>.ABS had little effect on multivehicle crashes on dry roads. The contrast in the results for wet roads and dry roads is consistent with findings in stopping tests, where ABS improved stopping distances and directional control substantially on wet surfaces, but much less so on dry surfaces.

3>.All types of run-off-road crashes - rollovers, side impacts with fixed objects and frontal impacts with fixed objects - increased significantly with ABS. Nonfatal run-off-road crashes increased by an estimated 19 percent, and fatal crashes by 28 percent.

4>.Rollovers and side impacts with fixed objects - crashes that typically follow a complete loss of directional control - had the highest increases with ABS. Nonfatal crashes increased by 28 percent, and fatal crashes by 40 percent.

5>.Frontal impacts with fixed objects, where the driver is more likely to have retained at least some directional control prior to impact, increased by about 15-20 percent, both nonfatal and fatal.

6>.The negative effects of ABS on run-off-road crashes were about the same under wet and dry road conditions.The reason for these negative effects is unknown. One possibility is that average drivers may at times steer improperly in panic situations. Because ABS preserves steering control under hard braking, cars may be swerving or heading off the road

We have already had a discussion on this topic on team-bhp itself about whether ABS would be effective on Dry surfaces.

Its important to train drivers how to handle cars with ABS.

The rest of the report:
ABS Passenger Cars

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 8th January 2007 at 10:56.
Old 8th January 2007, 11:09   #33
BHPian

I'm in favour of both ABS and Airbags and when touring it does really help...

and for "theEnd" you can tick both the options
Old 8th January 2007, 11:09   #34
BHPian

real speak

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I would like to have both of them. And can somebody make it a bit cheaper??
Thats a very straight forward opinion speedzak, I thought the only way price reduction could happen is for the government to make them mandatory. Is there any thing we could do ?
Old 8th January 2007, 12:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

ABS is a must for all cars. Airbags could be optional, not for me, i prefer to lose my teeth & nose too. LOL
Old 8th January 2007, 13:31   #36
BHPian

ABS shold be made mandatory for all Indian Cars..
Airbags.. only when we can get 100% insurance cover(even 75% to 80% is ok) to get it redone when they are deployed.
Old 8th January 2007, 18:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Still I regret for not opting the ABS version with marginal increase in the price. Explored the option of getting it fitted, but lost hope midway & coped up to live with what i had
Old 8th January 2007, 18:32   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Though this is a hilarious video,if airbags can be deployed on such light impacts imagine the trouble and costs involved to maintain a car with airbags in India,perhaps airbags will have to be indianised before they feature as standard fitment here.

YouTube - airbag mercedes
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2] Fake, obviously. Unless there was a major malfunction, airbags a) don't go off when the car isn't moving, b)[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]An airbag going off is more violent than that and c)[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]don't go off with an impact that slight.[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]Cars have multiple sensors for the airbags, somewhere in the range of 5 or more IIRC. Something like 3 or more sensors have to agree that there has been an accident before the airbag will deploy[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 8th January 2007, 18:37   #39
rks
BANNED

I (can) live without either, but would be happy to fit ABS if it is offered for my car (which it isn't). I do not want airbags, as there are some question marks about their effectiveness and safety, besides the high cost.
Old 8th January 2007, 18:44   #40
BHPian

ABS & Airbags both required. A recent comment on Renaut Logan on C&B Show on NDTV profit went like this " The Renault Logan would need to be positioned as an aspirational car. So some of the safety features might be dropped for Indian market and the style quoteint increased to keep price under control" May not be verbatim but it meant the same. Just goes to show how less important our lives are to ourselves and how well the manufactureres know this. As is evident on this thread not many ppl have opted for airbags. Even if you are ready to loose a few teeth pl think of your family. I think the airbags should be made essential optional eqpt to start with so that ppl who value their lives at least have an option. It makes more sense in indian conditions to have these devices in small cars as they are less safer than big cars generally.
Old 8th January 2007, 21:09   #41
BHPian

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
ABS & Airbags both required. A recent comment on Renaut Logan on C&B Show on NDTV profit went like this " The Renault Logan would need to be positioned as an aspirational car. So some of the safety features might be dropped for Indian market and the style quoteint increased to keep price under control" May not be verbatim but it meant the same. Just goes to show how less important our lives are to ourselves and how well the manufactureres know this. As is evident on this thread not many ppl have opted for airbags. Even if you are ready to loose a few teeth pl think of your family. I think the airbags should be made essential optional eqpt to start with so that ppl who value their lives at least have an option. It makes more sense in indian conditions to have these devices in small cars as they are less safer than big cars generally.
Thanks for expressing your thoughts so well. The very reason that made me start this poll is to now how many of us are aware of the security features we are missing and that are almost essential in the west. The only problem is ABS and Airbags are still very expensive in India. One way the prices could be brought down is to make them essential on all cars. This will result in mass market and prices can go down. At the moment people spending about 10L are also not getting some of these features. I hope Maruti will lead the way, I see a trend starting with Swift offering them both.
Old 9th January 2007, 03:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

A definite "YES" to both airbags and ABS. After all safety is everything and its high time we had these as standard equipment on our cars !
Old 9th January 2007, 07:26   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

I want both, and want them factory-fitted.
Old 9th January 2007, 07:38   #44
BHPian

I want both of them along with ESP too!!!
Old 9th January 2007, 08:26   #45
Team-BHP Support

I think, the question should have been segment wise...

All guys buying sedans, will be happy with ABS and airbags.. They can afford it more, and considering the speeds baleno, OHC etc can do... Its more of a neccessity...

In even faster cars, its suicidal not to have ABS...

But people buying smallers cars... Like i had a M800 before (the max i took it to is 120 kmph)... and now a wagonR... There is no question of airbags... simply because i wont be able to afford it...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks