Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2018, 09:42   #46
BHPian

Re: The Tata Tigor Facelift, now launched

The starry makeover video expressed my basic concern. I am interested in SVP's content and didn't see the need for a makeover for him to keep my viewership. The Tigor, which clearly wasn't selling despite having a pleasing design didn't need any makeover either. That was not the problem area that needed fixing.
Its competing with the wrong cars. The Tigor needs to target the full sized Hatchbacks where Tata doesn't have any market share. That is how they introduced the compact sedan segment. This approach makes even more sense now that the Dzire, Amaze and Aspire have slightly grown from their compact sedan roots. They are pushing at the boundaries of the lower end models of their bigger stable mates. The Zest was the one that had to compete with them while the Tigor attempts to breach those considering the hatchbacks but find the notchback as an option.

Thankfully unlike SVP who came out a bit silly after his makeover the Tigor survives the dreaded Indian update which basically means chrome it up. All Tata needs is clarity in marketing.
chittybang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 18:26   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
The Zest was the one that had to compete with them while the Tigor attempts to breach those considering the hatchbacks but find the notchback as an option.
Rightly said, as per me Tigor doesn't need the refresh as of now, instead they could have just added or tweaked the features.
Zest is the one which is crying out loud for a good refresh considering it was launched in 2014 and still runs almost on the same set of features/design language.

That car actually stands against the competitors like Dzire and Amaze, considering the length and sheer size of the car, engines offered and features.
I had love to see a mid facelift or complete makeover of ZEST. I remember, considered that car in 2015 before buying Baleno and the only sore point was no storage space inside for knick knacks and water bottles.

P.S. If you find this post irrelevant, then you can take it down. But since I also felt the same, added my opinion.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 20:54   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Zest is the one which is crying out loud for a good refresh considering it was launched in 2014 and still runs almost on the same set of features/design language.
Doubt that Tata is going to give Zest a refresh. Zest was an exercise to change the perception of Tata and it's sibling Bolt flopped due to pricing blunder.
Tigor JTP is the replacement for Zest and plus Tata needs a hatch and sedan to replace the Indigo twins for the commercial segment.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 21:55   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Doubt that Tata is going to give Zest a refresh. Zest was an exercise to change the perception of Tata and it's sibling Bolt flopped due to pricing blunder.
Tigor JTP is the replacement for Zest and plus Tata needs a hatch and sedan to replace the Indigo twins for the commercial segment.
That's the issue. I'm not sure why the smart MBA educated marketing folks at Tata motors don't get that in India long length+ good design+ rear AC Vents + Sunroof (optional) = a premium sedan. Even today, I feel less claustrophobic in Zest cabs than in an Xcent or Dzire. We have an XCent in addition to a Nano and a Hexa. By far, the suspension setup even in the Nano is better than the XCent.

I think that the TML management is always interested in new hits rather than platform upgrades that can add more value. The Zest is a wonderful product, yet they don't care much about making it a DZire replacement. It has the same engine, better insulation and more space. I hope that smart, enthusiastic folks take over their marketing and sales team someday. Till then, they'll ruin products like the Manza, Aria, Grande and Storme with their immense capabilities to sabotage brands.

The least that the Tigor deserves is a microHybrid that can elevate it's fuel efficiency to Ciaz levels. No one buying a compact sedan swears by a 1990's star anymore. Anyway, the marketing team must have done some sort of customer requirement survey. I'm sure better power, more FE and a front end that looks better than the Tiago would've been points that they considered, but did not implement.

Tigor looks good but needs a better campaign to make it appealing to folks bent on buying a Maruti.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 16th October 2018 at 22:22. Reason: Added lines.
Nissan1180 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 07:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
The Zest is a wonderful product, yet they don't care much about making it a DZire replacement. It has the same engine, better insulation and more space. I hope that smart, enthusiastic folks take over their marketing and sales team someday. Till then, they'll ruin products like the Manza, Aria, Grande and Storme with their immense capabilities to sabotage brands.
The Zest will never be able to garner enough sales to retain the old Indica platform. So it will be phased out sooner or later. People still associate it with the Indica. An irony in itself because 3 versions of this platform have served me well.

The Tigor's success would depend on how well the facelift is received and the pricing of the JTP version scheduled to be launched next week.

This price segment is more biased towards Maruti with their multiple offerings, and for someone wanting an international brand, Hyundai. Not an easy segment to make inroads, especially with lower margins. Hopefully things will get better with the Refresh and the JTP (since the major grouse is the lethargic engine).

I don't think Tata is looking at another sedan in this segment. After the 45X, the next sedan would be targetting the Honda City, Hyundai Verna, Maruti Ciaz and the Toyota Yaris.
Old 17th October 2018, 08:04   #51
Senior - BHPian

I also do not understand the logic of spending huge money on endorsing the product when it does nothing to alleviate the basic shortcoming with the car - underwhelming engines. Even with the 1.3 multijet under the hood, Tigor would have been a completely different car. 1.05 litre diesel engine is just too small for a car weighing more than a ton.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 17th October 2018 at 08:05.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks