Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2018, 20:33   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Rumour: Tata Motors working on Nexon Petrol Hybrid

No Nexon JTP version on the cards. Tata is busy giving the 1.5L Revotorq the BS-VI treatment these days and also, as per my reliable sources, work has started on the Nexon Hybrid. The engine has been finalised, and the electric junction boxes for use with it have been shortlisted too.

Tata will be placing an order for 10,000 such boxes by the end of FY2018, which means a target of roughly 830 units per month.

The Nexon Hybrid will be fully BS-VI compatible, when launched.
RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 17:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Is Tata Motors working on a Nexon JTP version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
work has started on the Nexon Hybrid. The engine has been finalised
Clarification on the engine - it will be a petrol hybrid.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th October 2018 at 18:14. Reason: typo
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th October 2018, 21:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rumour: Tata Motors working on Nexon Petrol Hybrid

Rumour: Tata Motors working on Nexon Petrol Hybrid - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 18:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Excellent news ! Im going to upgrade my Beat in a year or two and a Petrol Hybrid CUV hopefully an automatic is what I would prefer. Nexon was on the top of my list followed by the Ecosport.

Tata should seriously have a look at this option :

https://www.mtsu.edu/gem/updates.php

I was thinking of getting and retrofitting one of these kits myself on a Nexon AMT.

One of the main advantages would be the selling point for TATA, the only sub 4m SUV with "AWD" !! All manufacturers like to have atleast one "First in class" feature for new launches and updates. Plus you get fuel savings, better performance, it could help smooth out the AMT headnod in the lower gears, better performance/hold/creep on slopes.

I for one would definitely pay a decent premium for a system like this one over Marutis SVHS system, the added benefits are quite substantial.

It seems though that progress on their end has slowed a bit. Though Im sure TATA would be able to help them out with mass manufacturing and bring down the price locally as well as export the system.
Batteries could be manufactured by Panasonic who do so for Tesla. They already have a battery manufacturing setup in India with their purchase of the company that used to make Novino Gold batteries.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited by Mortis : 14th October 2018 at 18:35.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 00:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Excellent news ! Im going to upgrade my Beat in a year or two and a Petrol Hybrid CUV hopefully an automatic is what I would prefer. Nexon was on the top of my list followed by the Ecosport.

Tata should seriously have a look at this option :

https://www.mtsu.edu/gem/updates.php

I was thinking of getting and retrofitting one of these kits myself on a Nexon AMT.
Totally agree- Plug in Hybrids are the way to go for India. We don't have reliable power supply, to be able to charge electric cars, which would limit the capability of pure EVs

Last edited by SDP : 15th October 2018 at 08:08. Reason: Removing video link from quoted post
Old 16th October 2018, 19:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Totally agree- Plug in Hybrids are the way to go for India. We don't have reliable power supply, to be able to charge electric cars, which would limit the capability of pure EVs

Definitely PHEVs are the way to go, best of both worlds so to speak. I look at the problem of poor electrical infrastructure this way, if someone doesnt have proper electricity supply in their homes, then charging an electric vehicle if definitely not going to be their primary concern in improving their quality of life and they are not the target audience for an electric car. Generally though I think in most cities the electrification has improved quite a bit over the last few years. At the very least people know the times when power cuts/load shedding occur and can plan their charging accordingly. In fact like Tesla, they might even be able to do the reverse ! Power their homes using the car battery !
I believe with any solution that will impact a lot of lives such as having an all electric transportation network, you need to aim for the median and not the lowest denominator always to have the maximum impact otherwise you will be held back.

Anyways my previous post was mainly to highlight the hub drive hybrid system as I though it was quite exciting and would bring in a lot of features and advantages vs the usual alternator replacement system. I would definitely pay more for this system even if it was a pure hybrid assist system and even more if it came in the plug in version which offered 25-50km of pure electric range and maybe 100+km of assisted hybrid range.

Any thoughts guys ?
Old 17th October 2018, 08:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
work has started on the Nexon Hybrid
This is an encouraging development indeed! I'm assuming this is a genuine hybrid of the Accord and the Camry variety, and not of the faux-hybrid SVHS variety?
Old 18th April 2019, 08:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

EV-Petrol hybrids are the way to go in a market like India where true EVs might be difficult to operationalise. Also with manufacturer level gross FE and emission targets kicking in the near future ( like Europe ) such hybrid technologies will help firms like Tata meet such goals through 'hybridisation" of the existing fleet
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2021, 19:37   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Our friendly neighborhood AutoSpy snapped these pics of a Nexon test mule doing the rounds followed closely by a Harrier equipped with the Safari's alloys. The Nexon test mule's engine sound was negligible and barely heard.

Rumour: Tata Motors working on Nexon Petrol Hybrid-image0.jpg[/center]

As per AutoSpy, a technician was sitting with a laptop in the co-driver's seat while the Harrier had only a driver inside, and kept following the Nexon test mule closely from behind without trying to overtake.

Rumour: Tata Motors working on Nexon Petrol Hybrid-image1.jpg

The petrol hybrid doing the rounds?

Or could it be a flex-fuel engine-equipped test mule?

Time will tell.

Last edited by Aditya : 9th December 2021 at 05:06. Reason: Watermarks added
RavenAvi is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 09:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
followed closely by a Harrier equipped with the Safari's alloys.
harrier with the 18 inches from the safari , is tata testing this for the future facelift for the harrier ?
Old 9th December 2021, 09:51   #11
BHPian

Doesn't the Harrier come with the Safari alloys anyways, in the top trims?
I think the only difference is 17" vs 18" on the Harrier & Safari respectively.
chaksjr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 10:05   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaksjr View Post
Doesn't the Harrier come with the Safari alloys anyways, in the top trims?
I think the only difference is 17" vs 18" on the Harrier & Safari respectively.
only the top-spec dark edition comes with 18"s from the safari adventure persona. Other higher harrier variants get 17", in the same design.
amoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 11:55   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Our friendly neighborhood AutoSpy snapped these pics of a Nexon test mule doing the rounds followed closely by a Harrier equipped with the Safari's alloys. The Nexon test mule's engine sound was negligible and barely heard.
Interesting. Was AutoSpy able to get a glimpse of the transmission of the car? I'm inclined to wonder if its a TC automatic box being tested. The exhaust of the Nexon in the image is definitively that of a diesel variant and not standard petrol version. Makes me think it might be some modification like a well deserved TCAT being tested in the car. (Wishful thinking!)

Especially with the competition offering good TC boxes with 1.5L turbo diesels in the same segment and Punch now slotted below the Nexon, a Torque converter definitely makes a good case for the Nexon if Tata wants to continue the good sales tide the car is riding on.
Reinhard is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 15:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I'm inclined to wonder if it's a TC automatic box being tested.
Really sorry to rain on this parade, but there are no plans for TC automatic gearbox for Nexon diesel as of now. Not even in the Kick-off stage.
For petrol engines, the development of DCT started sometime in August. You may expect the release by 2022-Q4.

Source: Uncle works in TML.
Potatopoco is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 17:22   #15
BHPian

Let Tata bring Nexon with plugin hybrid, it sells like hot cakes. People love the electric use in cities and switch to fossils for long distances. RAV4 prime is an amazing success

Nexon could be our RAV4 Prime

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks