Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 3rd October 2018, 20:33   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Rumour: Tata Motors working on Nexon Petrol Hybrid

No Nexon JTP version on the cards. Tata is busy giving the 1.5L Revotorq the BS-VI treatment these days and also, as per my reliable sources, work has started on the Nexon Hybrid. The engine has been finalised, and the electric junction boxes for use with it have been shortlisted too.

Tata will be placing an order for 10,000 such boxes by the end of FY2018, which means a target of roughly 830 units per month.

The Nexon Hybrid will be fully BS-VI compatible, when launched.
RavenAvi is offline   (21) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 17:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Is Tata Motors working on a Nexon JTP version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
work has started on the Nexon Hybrid. The engine has been finalised
Clarification on the engine - it will be a petrol hybrid.

Last edited by Samurai : 6th October 2018 at 18:14. Reason: typo
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2018, 21:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Rumour: Tata Motors working on Nexon Petrol Hybrid

Rumour: Tata Motors working on Nexon Petrol Hybrid - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2018, 18:33   #4
BHPian

Excellent news ! Im going to upgrade my Beat in a year or two and a Petrol Hybrid CUV hopefully an automatic is what I would prefer. Nexon was on the top of my list followed by the Ecosport.

Tata should seriously have a look at this option :

https://www.mtsu.edu/gem/updates.php

I was thinking of getting and retrofitting one of these kits myself on a Nexon AMT.

One of the main advantages would be the selling point for TATA, the only sub 4m SUV with "AWD" !! All manufacturers like to have atleast one "First in class" feature for new launches and updates. Plus you get fuel savings, better performance, it could help smooth out the AMT headnod in the lower gears, better performance/hold/creep on slopes.

I for one would definitely pay a decent premium for a system like this one over Marutis SVHS system, the added benefits are quite substantial.

It seems though that progress on their end has slowed a bit. Though Im sure TATA would be able to help them out with mass manufacturing and bring down the price locally as well as export the system.
Batteries could be manufactured by Panasonic who do so for Tesla. They already have a battery manufacturing setup in India with their purchase of the company that used to make Novino Gold batteries.

What do you guys think ?

Last edited by Mortis : 14th October 2018 at 18:35.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2018, 00:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Excellent news ! Im going to upgrade my Beat in a year or two and a Petrol Hybrid CUV hopefully an automatic is what I would prefer. Nexon was on the top of my list followed by the Ecosport.

Tata should seriously have a look at this option :

https://www.mtsu.edu/gem/updates.php

I was thinking of getting and retrofitting one of these kits myself on a Nexon AMT.
Totally agree- Plug in Hybrids are the way to go for India. We don't have reliable power supply, to be able to charge electric cars, which would limit the capability of pure EVs

Last edited by SDP : 15th October 2018 at 08:08. Reason: Removing video link from quoted post
HighwayofLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2018, 19:05   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
Totally agree- Plug in Hybrids are the way to go for India. We don't have reliable power supply, to be able to charge electric cars, which would limit the capability of pure EVs

Definitely PHEVs are the way to go, best of both worlds so to speak. I look at the problem of poor electrical infrastructure this way, if someone doesnt have proper electricity supply in their homes, then charging an electric vehicle if definitely not going to be their primary concern in improving their quality of life and they are not the target audience for an electric car. Generally though I think in most cities the electrification has improved quite a bit over the last few years. At the very least people know the times when power cuts/load shedding occur and can plan their charging accordingly. In fact like Tesla, they might even be able to do the reverse ! Power their homes using the car battery !
I believe with any solution that will impact a lot of lives such as having an all electric transportation network, you need to aim for the median and not the lowest denominator always to have the maximum impact otherwise you will be held back.

Anyways my previous post was mainly to highlight the hub drive hybrid system as I though it was quite exciting and would bring in a lot of features and advantages vs the usual alternator replacement system. I would definitely pay more for this system even if it was a pure hybrid assist system and even more if it came in the plug in version which offered 25-50km of pure electric range and maybe 100+km of assisted hybrid range.

Any thoughts guys ?
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2018, 08:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
work has started on the Nexon Hybrid
This is an encouraging development indeed! I'm assuming this is a genuine hybrid of the Accord and the Camry variety, and not of the faux-hybrid SVHS variety?
Punatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2019, 08:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

EV-Petrol hybrids are the way to go in a market like India where true EVs might be difficult to operationalise. Also with manufacturer level gross FE and emission targets kicking in the near future ( like Europe ) such hybrid technologies will help firms like Tata meet such goals through 'hybridisation" of the existing fleet
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote