Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2019, 17:12   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Avoid washing your car too often; wash only when required!

Since last year or so, I wash Swift every Sunday to be ready for upcoming week, fill in wash and wipe fluid (this is RO water, nothing else). Innova gets a wash every Saturday.

Earlier I used to wash cars via hose/pipe but off late I have started using bucket and tumbler. First advantage is saving water, this method of bucket does reduce water usage; second advantage is I have walk around with water laden bucket which is good for burning calories.

There are a few in my neighbourhood who prefer to have their cars cleaned everyday with water. The car cleaning guy comes daily morning in my society, but I haven't used his services since last 3.5 years. But the cars do get dirty in a day or two at max.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 19:53   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
How much time and effort does a waterless wash usually take compared to water wash? As I understand, the car has to be dusted off first, then the waterless wash solution sprayed and wiped with a microfiber towel, and then buffed again with another microfiber towel.
For reference, a hatchback takes about 20-30 mins if regular cleaning, 40 if it's really dirty. In the former case, one 500 ml mix (1:100 Proklear:Water proportion) can easily give you two washes!

Unintended gains: you're sparing your car (esp. the plastics) atrocious hard water treatment, and there's no mess left behind, just an empty spray bottle and couple microfiber towels that you carry away. I'm never hosing down a vehicle again, except an underbody wash for caked mud.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 20:08   #93
BHPian

With the rains having started here in Bangalore, the Storme is only getting dirtier and dirtier.

I am thinking whether I should take him bathing after monsoons or cleanup soon, esp to prevent rust formation at the wheel wells.

Though, must admit, a clean Safari isn't something to be proud of.

cheers
lazy
Old 14th June 2019, 20:43   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much time and effort does a waterless wash usually take compared to water wash? As I understand, the car has to be dusted off first, then the waterless wash solution sprayed and wiped with a microfiber towel, and then buffed again with another microfiber towel.

I usually dust off my car every alternate day with Jopasu and wash the car maybe once in 30-45 days using a hose and shampoo trying to be as efficient as possible with the water usage. I've been thinking of trying out waterless wash myself, but still in doubt as to the time and effort
I won't let a jopasu anywhere near a car, there are many fans of this product but I'm not one

Proklear assumes that your car has decently slick paint, so you can spray it directly on top of the dust , use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe down gently until it's clean , go to the next panel repeat till the car is clean, by this time you will see a bit of haze on the paint. Now you can use a dry microfiber cloth (plush one) to buff off the haze , this is important and it gives you a water beading finish. Keeps the windshield clear during the rain as well .

Around 30 minutes , but I'm a bit slow and it takes more time for me.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 20:55   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
I won't let a jopasu anywhere near a car, there are many fans of this product but I'm not one
Curious! Any horror stories from past experience? If not Jopasu, then how do you dust off the car on a regular basis!
Old 14th June 2019, 21:48   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Curious! Any horror stories from past experience? If not Jopasu, then how do you dust off the car on a regular basis!
Yes, plenty thanks to my more adventurous and wealthy friends, who have now kept that duster away for good.

Cleaning once a week (Saturday) is good enough, a light dusting with a microfiber towel will do on a Thursday and clean just the glass occasionally, unless it rains.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 23:39   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, plenty thanks to my more adventurous and wealthy friends, who have now kept that duster away for good.

Cleaning once a week (Saturday) is good enough, a light dusting with a microfiber towel will do on a Thursday and clean just the glass occasionally, unless it rains.
Hi Kosfactor, I'm genuinely curious to know what problems your friends faced with the jopasu duster? The one issue I have is it leaves trails of wax if there's even a little moisture around. But I'm otherwise quite content with it. Is there something else to using it I'm not aware of?
Ruchitya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 23:46   #98
BHPian

Quote:
I'm curious to know the reason for it. I'm happily using it for over 4 years for removing dust on the car. It's just that if you leave it in the same place it for a little bit of time it leaves wax over it and it can't be used on a wet area.
Dhruv29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:03   #99
BHPian

So this weekend I took my car to the local car wash, for the first time. I usually wash my car once in 1-2 months but off late it has become difficult to wash the car in my apartment. I already have a car vacuum which I use regularly, hence interiors were very clean to the surprise of the car wash guy! He still vacuumed it nonetheless. The noodle mats were fairly dirty and were washed properly with suds and pressure wash. The car was put on the cemented raised ramp, underbody was pressure washed and the wheels and tyres were cleaned with suds. For the car body, I asked the guys to use my 3M car shampoo and wash mitt and after the wash they wiped off the water with my microfiber towel. Took 60-90mins and ₹350, with me keeping an eye out on the proceedings.

I saw the rate chart that simple pressure water wash costs ₹70. So, I am inclined to try out waterless wash for cleaning the car at the apartment along with using my car vacuum for interiors. For exterior body, wheel wells and underbody, I can get it just water pressure washed for ₹70 as and when it gets too dirty.
Old 2nd July 2019, 13:03   #100
BHPian

I wash my car once or twice a month. Apart from that, no cleaner comes to clean the car, and we do not take the car to get it washed. Dad insisted that we take the car to get it washed outside but after seeing the quality of work performed, he himself asked me to either wash it at home or let it be dirty, which made me happy. After every 2-3 days, I use a soft cloth (its not a microfiber, but is not cotton as well) which I bought from BIG BAZAAR to get rid of the dust and then use water using a spray bottle to clean any stains or marks. After this, a cotton cloth is used to dry the car. The under body wash is done either at the SERVICE CENTRE during the 10K service interval or at my hometown whenever I go there. So basically, the under body is pressure washed every 5-6 months. This saves water, keeps the car clean and minimizes the damage to the paint. Our 9 year old Santro, despite being abused in the Delhi traffic daily, shines like a new car whenever we wash it and I followed the same pattern for it too. Neither of my cars have had any professional paint protection treatment done so far, but I am planning for some nano coating on my Aspire soon.
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:14   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
Hi Kosfactor, I'm genuinely curious to know what problems your friends faced with the jopasu duster? The one issue I have is it leaves trails of wax if there's even a little moisture around. But I'm otherwise quite content with it. Is there something else to using it I'm not aware of?
I am surprised too. Appreciate if you could help us with the problems your friends faced.
Old 10th July 2019, 13:57   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
In the late 80's, at Kerala, my car wash was an elaborate affair, using a hose and plenty of water.

Then in the 90's at Chennai, water being a scarce commodity, changed to using just one bucket of water, for the whole ritual.

Now it's mostly dusting off the car, with a wet wipe thrown in once in a while. That's not only enough, it's actually counter-productive to wash more often. Not to mention the water wastage. (Unless there is lot of underbody muck, requiring a professional wash).
Now with the monsoon in Kerala, most mornings the car has water on it (parked in the open). Use that to give the car a good wipe which is more than enough to keep it clean.
Old 10th July 2019, 14:44   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
I am surprised too. Appreciate if you could help us with the problems your friends faced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruv29 View Post
I'm curious to know the reason for it. I'm happily using it for over 4 years for removing dust on the car. It's just that if you leave it in the same place it for a little bit of time it leaves wax over it and it can't be used on a wet area.
I'm starting to get a bit irritated with my Jopasu as well. My goal was to have a new, swirl free car for as long as possible. But, I'm finding the wax residues to be disgusting on some curves and panels and also have a feeling that the weight of the duster makes it difficult to use it with minimal pressure on some surfaces/panels. As a result, while dusting, the dust tends to rub against the car surface and create the micro scratches and swirl marks. I'm not a happy Jopasu user.
rovingeye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 16:41   #104
Senior - BHPian

I have a car cleaner boy who uses less than a bucket of recycled (STP) water for wiping the car daily. That way no real water wastage and being just a wipe, car also remains good. This is happening for last few years and I did not have to "wash" the car anyway. Issue comes (only if I call it as an issue) when I return from a long trip when the car is really dirty. Then he needs a little more water to wipe but still under control. My long trip in monsoon may drastically change this equation if other cars "throw" tones of mud on my car and that needs a real "wash".
rajivtelang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2019, 10:22   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
If you are using it to wipe everyday where its not really dusty, it would be ideal.

Places where its a bit more dirty (all major cities), the duster picks up sand and scratches up the surface. When my friend`s duster (the car) was only washed once a week , the paint was fine, once Jopasu came in , the everyday dusting became a practice and paint is now full of scratches making the vehicle look old.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks