Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2018, 15:27   #46
BHPian

Re: September 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Toyota really needs to get their act together. 4 out of Top 10 losers belong to Toyota.
Not sure what stops them from bringing some competent products from their international portfolio to India & making decent amount of money. Instead, they are busy with their love affair with MSIL (pun intended).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
1.5 diesel will attract higher taxes for sub 4m cars so I don't think 1.3 MJD is going anywhere unless they stop selling diesels in sub 4m cars altogether.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 15:35   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post

1.5 diesel will attract higher taxes for sub 4m cars so I don't think 1.3 MJD is going anywhere unless they stop selling diesels in sub 4m cars altogether.
Post the BSVI implementation in 2020, DDiS will not be used as it is not compatible. In smaller cars they will be no diesel option available.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 01:18   #48
BHPian

Looks like Yaris turned out to be a half-hearted effort from Toyota. May be Toyota is mis-guided by the forgiving nature of the Innova/Fortuner customers.

Formula for the C-Segment sedan is too hard to crack as the segment is being eaten up by the premium hatchbacks, Softroad SUVs and even by compact SUVs. Apart from these cross-segment competitions, the segment in itself has the below contenders,
1. Ciaz for the common man
2. Verna for the Maruti haters
3. City for the Honda lovers

If Toyota had given atleast one USP for Yaris, market would have definitely given a (tough) chance to survive.
ramji_or is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 10:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Honda Jazz has sold just a shade over 1K units! Not sure what is stopping Honda from introducing Diesel CVT variant! just this one variant alone can multiply the sales numbers. Many shy away from Amaze for few cost cutting reason(might be why sales is decreasing), Jazz would be just perfect !
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 16:44   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
Nope, the Sub-4m rule is applicable for <1.2 L Petrol engines and <1.5 L Diesel engines, so no higher taxes. However, Fiat will shut down the 1.3 MJD by 2020 once the BSVI norms comes into effect since the engine is not compliant to the norms and Fiat is not looking to make it compliant either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramji_or View Post
Looks like Yaris turned out to be a half-hearted effort from Toyota. May be Toyota is mis-guided by the forgiving nature of the Innova/Fortuner customers.

Formula for the C-Segment sedan is too hard to crack as the segment is being eaten up by the premium hatchbacks, Softroad SUVs and even by compact SUVs. Apart from these cross-segment competitions, the segment in itself has the below contenders,
1. Ciaz for the common man
2. Verna for the Maruti haters
3. City for the Honda lovers
Spot on with your observations. Toyota can easily get away with Innova and Fortuner because of the proven track record where there were no competition when they were launched. However, the C2 Sedan Segment has a pretty established Top 3 cars which were leaders of the segment one or the other occasion and are also from the mass manufacturers. However, the failure of Yaris meant the other manufacturers will take it easy on the option of 6/7 airbags right from the base variant and will continue to provide them only in the top variants.
Old 11th October 2018, 23:23   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcoolguy View Post
Spot on with your observations. Toyota can easily get away with Innova and Fortuner because of the proven track record where there were no competition when they were launched. However, the C2 Sedan Segment has a pretty established Top 3 cars which were leaders of the segment one or the other occasion and are also from the mass manufacturers. However, the failure of Yaris meant the other manufacturers will take it easy on the option of 6/7 airbags right from the base variant and will continue to provide them only in the top variants.
Thanks JP! As you pointed out, When it comes to Indian market, Manufacturers often used to overlook the passenger safety conveniently because of less-stringent norms.

But the government is reacting, albeit slowly, and lot of hatchbacks now comes with 2 airbags as standard.
Old 12th October 2018, 00:15   #52
BHPian

One of the reports i wait for eagerly. Late to the party here, but a car with a 2 star rating is right at the top of dispatches. Will that affect the sales, yes next month Alto will be at the top and swift will go down to a lowly second place. Jokes apart it would help if this goes into the minds of the buyers and maybe force Maruti to do something different.

On the C2 sedan category looks like Honda’s toy advert backfired.

https://brandequity.economictimes.in...-toys/65931184

Not sure why these marketing guys like to focus on demeaning the competitors. Lack of imagination I would say. In comparison the recent Hyundai ads for stories related to owners or the alto ad from Maruti are far ahead. They focus on the strengths of the product.
Old 12th October 2018, 22:34   #53
BHPian

So much has been posted about Toyota. While Nepal imports most of its cars from India, there are several brands/models that it gets that India doesn't; though all of them are shipped through Indian ports. Regarding Toyota, Rush, Hiace and Hilux do great business here. What's stopping Toyota to introduce them to its Indian customers?
amitjha086 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 23:42   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitjha086 View Post
So much has been posted about Toyota. While Nepal imports most of its cars from India, there are several brands/models that it gets that India doesn't; though all of them are shipped through Indian ports. Regarding Toyota, Rush, Hiace and Hilux do great business here. What's stopping Toyota to introduce them to its Indian customers?
Just out of curiosity, what is the price of a new Toyota in Nepal? Let us say, Innova and the Fortuner. How much do they cost, on the road, in Nepal? Let us compare prices of the most expensive version. Could, may be, provide an answer to your question. CBU is expensive in India due to the taxation policies.
Old 13th October 2018, 08:12   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the price of a new Toyota in Nepal? Let us say, Innova and the Fortuner. How much do they cost, on the road, in Nepal? Let us compare prices of the most expensive version. Could, may be, provide an answer to your question. CBU is expensive in India due to the taxation policies.
I hope we are not going off-topic by talking about Toyota.
Rush has recently been introduced in Nepal. They opened booking some six months ago for a token amount of 125,000 INRs, refundable. I saw a few of them being driven to Kathmandu for delivery in August. Its been launched in High and Mid Variants with petrol engines in both MT and AT. Prices begin at 42 lacs INRs and go upto 48 lacs INRs. Prices are not high because it is a CBU but because Nepal govt. levies 240% tax on any vehicles. For reference, my dzire vxi cost me 19 lacs INRs last year.

Similarly, Fortuner retails at 1 crore 5 lacs INRs. For reference, Endeavor costs 80 lacs INRs. I am not very sure about Innova Crysta. Will look up for information on it. Similarly, Hiace costs around 45 lacs INRs. It's because they get tax benefits.

Toyota is doing a brisk business in Nepal because it sells Land-Cruisers and Prados in huge numbers. There are so many INGOs here and all of them prefer high-end Toyota vehicles. Similarly, Toyota is the choice of vehicle for most of the ministries and other government agencies.

Yet, most of the cars sold in Nepal are from MS and Hyundai. Ford is also getting popular. We even have Kia (Picanto, Sportage, Cerato and Rio), MG and Peugeot here.

NADA (Nepal Auto Dealers' Association) holds a show in late August which marks the beginning of car shopping season in Nepal and this goes till the end of Diwali and Chath because lucrative deals are offered. Therefore, these couple of months should see a spike in factory dispatches in India despite Nepal being a very small car market.
amitjha086 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 19:03   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai reclaims its top exporter position as Ford's export volume slides during the April to August 2018 period.

Renault, M&M and Honda posted higher exports, while GM, Nissan, VW and Suzuki Motors also noted a dip in exports during the April to August 2018 period.

Hyundai exports its i10, i20, Verna and Creta currently while planning to increase its export models in the coming moths.

September 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th October 2018 at 19:04.
Old 14th October 2018, 11:55   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.
Hello Aditya, if I look at the numbers of Mahindra & Mahindra (below picture), I cannot see figures for TUV3OO Plus. Are the Plus numbers combined with the normal TUV3OO or they being less than 500 units a month and not included in the figures?
September 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-tuv-plus-numbers.png
Old 15th October 2018, 16:20   #58
BANNED

The Honda BR-V is a strange cat. The sales charts in these threads show ever dwindling numbers of the vehicle being sold. But, I could swear that the BR-V sightings on city roads are not in keeping with the sales numbers. I see at least 3 or 4 BR-Vs a day; and all different ones. I mean, if they are selling only 300 odd units pan India, how am I seeing so many?
Old 15th October 2018, 23:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
I mean, if they are selling only 300 odd units pan India, how am I seeing so many?
Has to do with city / state / zone wise brand preference and urban / semi-urban / rural divide.
Eg: I never see that many new omni / eeco / Boleros proportionate with their sales figures during my daily commute.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 14:19   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

With the fuel price differential between diesel and petrol being the lowest now, will the market shift to sedans and premium hatches that are also fuel efficient.

Quote:
Nevertheless, UVs still constitute around 26 percent of the overall PV market with one out of every four PVs being sold being a UV or SUV.
September 2018 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-final20uvs.jpg

Link
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks