Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2018, 18:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Recoveri launches MicroDot anti-theft tech in India

Recoveri has launched its micro tag identification and trace solutions for vehicles in India. The South Africa-based company manufactures and exports its MicroDot technology, which is claimed to be an effective form of vehicle marking and a powerful theft deterrent.

Recoveri launches MicroDot anti-theft tech in India-recoveri.jpg

The MicroDot anti-theft technology uses thousands of small dots laser etched with a Personal Identification Number (PIN) linked to the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The MicroDots are then sprayed throughout the vehicle. These are 1mm x 1mm polymer dots that are difficult to locate.

Recoveri launches MicroDot anti-theft tech in India-microdot-1.jpg

The MicroDots contain an ultraviolet tracing agent that is only visible under ultraviolet or black light and a microscope. As such, the dots are difficult to detect with the naked eye.

Each unique code is linked to Recoveri's international database. This information can be used by the police to track the owner of a stolen vehicle. The technology can also be used to secure laptops, mobile phones, luggage, jewellery and other expensive household items. The company claims that the MicroDot tags are almost impossible to remove.

Recoveri plans to setup authorised MicroDot fitment centres across India. The company is also in talks with car manufacturers to adopt this technology. Meanwhile, the Central Motor Vehicle Rules - Technical Standard Committee has already framed standards for the auto industry to use microdots.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 23:12   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Recoveri launches MicroDot anti-theft tech in India

Curious: If somebody steals your car and repaints it, will this still be helpful?
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 23:19   #3
BHPian

This will be feasible only if manufacturers adopt it and pass on to consumers from factory. Or compulsory mandate by ARAI or govt. to Auto manufacturers. This is highly unlikely unless the company is owned by a super politician of our country or any under table deal. I don't see this to survive long on individual customers. GPS tracking is cheaply available for vehicle safety conscious consumer.
superbhikari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 23:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Curious: If somebody steals your car and repaints it, will this still be helpful?
Probably it can be sprayed inside the engine bay too or just anywhere in the car. Chassis may be. So repainting may not work.

Having said that, I must admit I didn't really get it either. . The company has obviously spent a lot of money and research and marketing and probably it works too. But what I don't get is this - why would I invest in this and not a tracking device? For this to work, firstly, the cops have to find the car! Then use ultraviolet light and a MICROSCOPE to identify the owner. How many cop vehicles in India carry a microscope of all things? So the vehicle has to be seized until a microscope, or at least a powerful lens arrives.

Won't the VIN tell you who the vehicle rightfully belongs to, right away? If you suspect it to be a stolen vehicle, what prevents the cops from checking the VIN number or the engine number which is etched into metal? Is this not a far more easier means of identification? Like I said, I did not get the logic behind it. May be I am missing something.

I can see this working on jewellery and other expensive articles which have no other means of positively identifying the rightful owner. Most other stuff like mobiles and electronics can be identified from the serial number if the owner can produce a bill. Might come handy in case the owner has lost the bill though.

I don't see it really necessary for a car. I did rather invest in a tracking device.
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 09:51   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Agreed with BHPians. This one looks rather pointless...like a 1980s technology in 2018. In today's connected world, why would one get microdots on their car? Let's say your car gets stolen - good luck finding it in the first place, before checking it for microdots.

Hidden GPS trackers blow this microdot thing out of the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbhikari View Post
Or compulsory mandate by ARAI or govt. to Auto manufacturers.
At least one country has thought of making it mandatory - link. Zero chance of it happening in India though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
But what I don't get is this - why would I invest in this and not a tracking device?
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 13:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Apparently this technology is cheap and can be had for as little as Rs 1,000 per vehicle. Not too bad if it is done at the factory itself.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/68404155.cms
Old 14th March 2019, 13:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
.....anti-theft technology uses thousands of small dots
After a few years on Indian roads, many cars already have 1000s of micro dots on them...

PS - As a user of GPS tracker (hidden somewhere inside my car) I vouch for a inexpensive solution.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 11:20   #8
BHPian

Govt to allow use of Microdots in vehicles (2019)

Microdots are nano-size (0.5 mm) metal particles that will carry information including the personal identification number (PIN) or the vehicle identification number (VIN) so that these can be traced. The technology involves spraying thousands of small dots laser-etched with a PIN or VIN throughout the body, and it’s almost impossible to remove these dots. These can only be detected using ultraviolet light.

Recoveri launches MicroDot anti-theft tech in India-img_20190729_111251.jpg

South Africa has made it a legal requirement to have microdot fitted to all new vehicles sold since September 2012 and all vehicles require police clearance.

In India, automobile manufacturers will soon have the option to etch Microdots on any vehicle or component for tracing them. The road transport ministry last week came out with the drafts rules enabling manufacturers to go for the "new" technology. ()

The microdots and adhesive become a permanent fixture/ affixation which can’t be removed without damaging the asset itself. The microdots shall comply with AIS 155 requirements, if affixed.

Recoveri launches MicroDot anti-theft tech in India-img_20190729_111655.jpg

Related Tbhp thread

ET Auto
jailbird_fynix is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 10:07   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Zero chance of it happening in India though.
Govt plans to combat vehicle theft with microdot patches

Quote:
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways on July 24 issued a draft notification to amend the Central Motor Vehicle Rules, allowing motor vehicles and their parts, components, assemblies and sub-assemblies to be affixed with permanent and nearly invisible microdots that can be read physically with a microscope and identified with an ultra violet light source.

Microdot technology involves spraying the body and parts of a vehicle – or any other machine – with microscopic dots. This gives the object or vehicle a unique identification. Use of this technology is expected to help check vehicle theft and the use of fake spare parts.

The microdots and adhesive would be permanent fixtures that cannot be removed without damaging the asset – the vehicle itself.

The notification says that the microdots, if affixed, will have to comply with AIS (Automotive Industry Standards) 155 requirements.

The Ministry has sought comments and objections to the draft notification within 30 days.
First Published on Jul 30, 2019 11:18 am
Let's start buying those microscopes!

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 31st July 2019 at 10:08.
Old 31st July 2019, 19:53   #10
BHPian

Wonder what happens if the stolen vehicle is dismantled for parts? How does one even know where to look for these on a car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks