Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2019, 13:28   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

Driving range may not hold at all given the traffic conditions, requirement of AC in several parts of country for close to 8 - 9 months in a year.

Netting off such toll on batteries will result in a range of not more than 200 km from a fully charged condition. If one uses quick charge which results in 80% of charging in 75 - 90 minutes may be able to do about 150 - 170 km.

Yes its a step beyond what is available from the domestic brands, yet the lower output offering from Hyundai may still not address the range issue to the comfort of the buyer. At the end we are talking about an investment close to INR 30 Lac on road. Let's wait and see how Nissan plays with Leaf !!

Last edited by i74js : 9th July 2019 at 13:30.
i74js is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 13:33   #92
BHPian

Hyundai has a nice manufacturing plant in India then why bring this car as a CBU? If it was priced around 15Lakhs if built in India I guess there would have been a horde of buyers. And now Hyundai is targeting a total of 100 units of Kona for India in 2019
Old 9th July 2019, 13:50   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
Hyundai has a nice manufacturing plant in India then why bring this car as a CBU? If it was priced around 15Lakhs if built in India I guess there would have been a horde of buyers. And now Hyundai is targeting a total of 100 units of Kona for India in 2019
Kona is not a CBU, but a CKD. Also, I saw that Hyundai Kona is sold out for 2019 in UK and it is wait listed over there. So I don't think Hyundai will be looking at volumes with Kona here by selling with a lower profit margin when it's demand is high elsewhere.
ece2k2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 13:52   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
More than Hyundai, it is the incompetency of ARAI that certified the range as 452KM. I am sure the vehicle MID will be showing ~300KM as the range when fully charged just like Tata Tigor EV which shows 100KM in its MID while the ARAI rated it for 140KM.
These numbers are under testing conditions and that's the loophole car makers get away with.
Old 9th July 2019, 13:56   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
I doubt if it makes business sense to begin manufacturing Kona in India from day zero; Even after having a reasonable manufacturing facility in India (for Hyundai):

a. It is running full. Hyundai may not expand further manufacturing capacity in India and may share some of the manufacturing with Kia (Hyundai has 33% shareholding in Kia motors)

b. Indian laws permit upto 2500 vehicles to be imported per year without homologation requirements (the imported vehicles must be certified for being roadworthy in other country). Hyundai can test the water and make an informed decision.

Spending money on procurement of die cast for Kona, which will be a slow moving vehicle does not make any sense. Manufacturing of white body is one of the costliest affairs for local production. Depending upon market response, Hyundai might consider from CBU to CKD switch instead of domestic manufacturing to control the cost (even for that I am not sure if it is CBU or CKD as of now !)

Last edited by i74js : 9th July 2019 at 13:58.
i74js is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 14:13   #96
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona electric SUV spied testing in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyampsunder View Post
EVs are far more efficient at converting their stored energy into kinetic energy as compared to ICE. This means that even if the grid is completely powered by coal, EVs are greener. Another added benefit is instead of having to clean up emissions from a million tailpipes, you can control emissions from a few coal power plants. Do check this out
Sure.

Which is why I concluded saying that it would be best for everyone to use EV's operating as public transport, though I recognize that it will likely not be a popular choice in an auto enthusiast forum like TBHP
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 14:16   #97
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Kona electric SUV spied testing in India

Personally, I feel with a few policy changes around the corner, the car might be priced alright. (not to the extent of being termed overpriced)

Lets consider Creta top end available for nearly 20L against the Kona:
1. Govt plans to remove road tax for EVs, its bound to happen soon. Thats 20% off the on-road price. That brings the on-road price of Kona to about 27L
2. Cost of ownership is much lower compared to Creta. Assume savings of Rs 30-50K annually
3. Rs 1.5L tax exemption on EV car loans. Equates to about 50K savings annually.

At the end of 5 years, the savings would be good enough to justify the Kona purchase, not to mention the car is premium compared to creta.

I really hope it is received well. That will get more manufacturers to take EVs seriously.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2019 at 11:45. Reason: Minor spacing
kvish is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 14:50   #98
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I'm with kvish on this one. I don't consider it grossly overpriced at all by EV standards. In fact, it is priced as EVs are across the world. Just checked USA prices and the Kona retails for about $40,000 there (source). It's very expensive, yes, but all EVs carry a stiff premium everywhere in the world.

If you ask me, it's as expected for what appears to be a world class & proper EV. If you want to talk overpriced, go check out the Prius (the other green car) which sells for 45 lakhs ex-showroom!

I doubt Hyundai's making any money on this one. More of a branding exercise than anything else. That probably explains the 300 units figure for this year. Environment-friendly early adopters, some celebrities & a few corporates will easily lap the 300 units up.

Last edited by GTO : 11th July 2019 at 08:34. Reason: 300 for the first year, not 100
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 15:07   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm with kvish on this one. I don't consider it grossly overpriced at all. In fact, it is priced as EVs are across the world. Just checked USA prices and the Kona retails for about $40,000 there
Totally agree about pricing. Pricing is on par with rest of the world. We cannot compare it with US model though as the US variant is bigger battery one (64 kWh). We can compare Indian pricing with UK pricing as both variants available there (39.2 kWh and 64 kWh). UK pricing for 39.2 kWh Premium variant is £32,220.00.

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/kona-electric

Hyundai did decent job with pricing of Kona in India. Hopefully, they will adjust the price once the GST cut from 12% to 5% comes into effect. Competition is the only thing that can bring down the prices of EVs. As long as there is limited competition (models, production, etc...) EVs will be priced high despite rapidly falling battery prices. I am hoping to see good competition from the likes of MG to keep the EV pricing in check.

Last edited by sri_tesla : 9th July 2019 at 15:09.
sri_tesla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 15:14   #100
BHPian

I sincerely believe all the taxes should be off the electric car, even for CBU. No import tax not GST and No road tax for a period of 5 years. Let the manufacturers build some traction in the market then we can levy taxes for CBU and benefits for CKD or local production.

There will be an inventive to develop the infra as well. Right now we need to assure minimum volumes for any manufacturer to set shop in India and with the current outlook no one will plonk big money upfront.
aniyo is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 15:44   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Can this ARAI rating be challenged?
Don't know about ARAI but generally Govt run testing facilities get legal protection from having their results challenged. I mean one can challenge, but in a court that reading stands.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 15:55   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Lets consider Creta top end available for nearly 20L against the Kona:
Kona is smaller than Creta though. It's between the Creta and Ecosport size.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 15:58   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
9.7 seconds for 39.2 kWh variant. 7.6 seconds for 64 kWh variant. In India, they are launching low end variant (39.2 kWh).

ARAI range figures (452 KMs) is a joke. They should have just adopted EPA system (closer to real world range) or at least EU's WLTP rating system.
But in India one cant launch a vehicle without ARAI/ICAT homologation certificate neither they can specify EPA/WLTP/NEDC in brochures.

So its not Hyundai which is claiming such high range, rather ARAI.

No doubt ARAI (especially for EVs) should make conditions stringent while measuring AERs

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2019 at 11:44. Reason: Spacing
Old 9th July 2019, 16:44   #104
BHPian

How much would it cost to charge the car to 100%? Would love to compare the number advantage with a diesel car.

Another doubt I had was, from what I understand we will have to leave the car overnight at a charging station like IOC?
Old 9th July 2019, 16:52   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
Another doubt I had was, from what I understand we will have to leave the car overnight at a charging station like IOC?
Not sure about the cost but 100% sure we will not have to leave it at IOC/charging stations as this isnt feasible (imagine the number of cars vs number of peteol stations), More likely that you will have to setup a charging facility at home like how ather does it for its scooter.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 10th July 2019 at 11:44. Reason: Formatting of quoted post
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks