Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2018, 13:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?

We're extremely happy with the strides that Tata Motors has made in the last 3 years. They have greatly improved their product offerings with impressive new launches such as the Hexa, Nexon & Tiago. In turn, customers have flocked to the latter two cars as is evident in our sales reports.

But is the success already getting to their heads? Why has Tata started deleting features from its new models ?

The Hexa takes the biggest hit and loses a lot of essential features from the base and mid variants. Making things worse, the Hexa is not the only Tata product to lose a few features in the recent past. The Nexon and Tiago are victims too.

We sure hope that the bean counters aren't winning over the product planners @ Tata Motors.

Tata Hexa

A few comments from BHPians:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORQUE_AANJANEY View Post
The reverse camera missing the guidelines plus the extremely poor quality in dimly lit surroundings is just unpardonable. A car of this size needed a better reverse parking assist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrightnow View Post
Thanks. The cast was removed yesterday, and now the real recovery starts. The car has roof rail as it is May model. You are right, July onwards manufactured Hexas don't have roof rail and the third row charging port. The roof rail cost is 35k+ if you purchase it as an accessory from Tata. Extremely weird and poor decision-making in the name of cost cutting by Tata to omit these in a car north of 20L. Also, when you consider missing ESP and few other safety features, now customers must think if they are getting the best bang for their bucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Tata has explicitly mentioned in their brochure that roof rails are now deleted from all versions. Either the brochure editor was not bothered or he was upset about the deletion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Roxx View Post
Actually 19 inch spare was deleted almost immediately after launch. Only 1 or 2 members in our PAN India owners group have a 19 inch spare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Fellow Hexa Owners -

Can someone please summarize the missing features on the XE variant being sold as on date in comparison to the one that was launched initially.

I can figure out the following -

1) Missing Sun Blinds
2) No Steering Mounted controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
So, the features missing in the MY2018 model over the MY2017 model are as follows:-
1. Misses out on Tata Signature Front Grille with Chrome Humanity Line (was in Platinum Silver in MY2017), Black Out Door Frame, Floating Roof.
2. Skid Plates are now in Ebony Black (were in Grey earlier).
3. Seat Upholstery and Door Trim Inserts changed from Full Fabric (MY2017) to Premium Fabric (MY2018). Door Trim Inserts were not present in MY2017 models.
4. Soft Touch Dashboard with Hexa Branding is not there anymore.
5. 4 Speaker system, as opposed to MY2017's 4 Speaker and 2 Tweeter system.
6. UNLIKE WHAT YOU MENTIONED, STEERING MOUNTED AUDIO AND PHONE CONTROLS WERE AND ARE STILL PRESENT!!
7. ConnectNext App, NaviMaps App, Juke Car App and Tata Smart Manual App not supported now.
8. Hydraulic Brake Assist added in MY2018 variants.
9. Express Down on Driver Power Window removed.
10. Seating Capacity of 6 and 7 seater options, was only a 7 seater earlier.
11. Retractable Window Sunblinds now removed.
12. 12V Power Outlet only in the Front Row now, was in both Front and Second Rows in MY2017.
13. The brochure of MY2017 had an option of Sunglass Holder as standard on all variants, but it is not mentioned anywhere in the MY2018 brochure.
14. MY2017 came in only Pearl White and Arizona Blue, but MY2018 models come in Pearl White, Arizona Blue and Tungsten Silver (the 6 Seater is only available in Pearl White now)!!
- Skid Plates are now available in Ebony Black in the XE and the XM / XMA. Earlier, the XE had a grey skid plate, while the XM had a silver skid plate.

- The Humanity Line is now offered in silver on the XE and XM / XMA. It was earlier in chrome.

- The XE and the XM / XMA do not get the 'Soft Touch Dashboard with Hexa Branding' anymore.

- 12V Power Outlet only in the Front Row now for the XE and XM / XMA variants. In MY 2017, it was available in the first and second rows.

Additionally, according to the brochure, the following features are also missing:
For the XT, the 12V outlet is now available only in the first 2 rows. Earlier, it was available in the third row.
Base XE no longer gets steering-mounted audio/phone controls.
Base XE no longer gets speed-dependent volume control.
XM loses the ORVM Demister.

Tata Nexon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
So, finally with the new updated brochure, I stand corrected. Only XZ+and XZA+ have ISOFIX Child Seat Mounts and not as standard on all variants as mentioned in the opening post of this Review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA18 View Post
Forwarded message received on WhatsApp from trustworthy sources:
Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?-img20180725wa0007.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by teknicsand View Post
I have it. I think TATA has been progressively removing features. I don't have the passenger side keyless entry, while some folks here have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
Also noticed that the ORVMs don't say the usual "objects in the mirror...." thing. Is it deliberate or something? Secondly, the triangle holder velcro in boot which was highlighted in the review is not there in my car. Is it the case of deleted feature?
Additionally, according to the brochure, the following features are also missing:
Base XE loses wheel covers.
Only XZ, XZ+ & XZA+ get fast USB Chargers (earlier, even XM got fast charging).

Tata Tiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
3 things are missing in our car, compared to the Tiagos manufactured before September 1st of this year -

1) under-bonnet insulation hood for petrols,
2) the boot lamp on the right side under the parcel tray,
3) the strings which are attached to the parcel tray and the boot lid on the underside, which made the parcel tray lift up automatically when the boot lid is opened. To make matters worse, holes for those strings are left on either side of the parcel tray which are a real eyesore.

Thankfully, the under-bootlid hood is still there in our car. Some recent owners have reported this as missing in their XZs.

Also, the spare wheel is a 13-incher, not a full-sized one.
Rear parcel shelf removed from the XM and XT.
Day and Night IRVM removed from XT.
Central locking with flippy key removed from XM.
Vanity mirror on the co-driver's side removed from XT.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2018 at 13:15.
ChiragM is offline   (77) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 13:07   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

Cheap, cheap, cheap . More than anyone else, Tata Motors should know best that 'cheap' thinking ruins cars. In the last decade, Tata's heavy cost cutting led to such shoddy product quality that sales had plummeted and market-share was lost. Finally, Tata is getting back on the right track, but clearly...old habits die hard . I keep hearing that the product guys are super; it's the bureaucracy & bean counters that are responsible for these moves.

This is like taking 2 steps forward, then half a step backward.

Usually, with time, products improve & get additional features. Seems to be the opposite with Tatas, especially the Hexa! Tata had better pull up its socks. God knows what else has gone missing, other than the stuff listed above.

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2018 at 13:17.
GTO is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 13:21   #3
BHPian

Normally, most manufacturers increase prices significantly after the initial "introductory" pricing to get potential owners mindshare. Depending on market acceptance or success of the product, the call is to increase prices to cover "cost+profitability" or rationalise features in order to meet margin requirements while keeping prices under control.

A Toyota would go on route 1 to keep brand and product intact, seems Tata is ok to cheapen a product at the cost of brand for margins. Interesting call, but as a product company that's bad.
shreevishnu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 13:40   #4
BHPian

Recently, one of my friends bought a Tigor XZA. The display car in the showroom had a boot lid cover. However, the car which he got does not have this cover. As per Concorde, Baner, the bootlid cover has been removed.

Does anyone have any further information on this?

Last edited by GTO : 17th October 2018 at 15:23. Reason: Poorly typed post
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th October 2018, 13:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well, I guess between increasing the price and keeping the product intact versus keeping the same price and reducing features, they must have taken a conscious decision favouring the latter (for reasons unknown to us).

However, if they have made corresponding changes in the specs on their website and in their brochures, then I don't think their transparency should be questioned. That is why I request the OP/Mods to omit the word "slyly" from the thread title.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Tata Motors, nor do I own any Tata vehicle. I am just an insignificant shareholder, wondering when my shareholding will move out of the Red zone

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th October 2018 at 14:02.
comfortablynumb is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:06   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Well, I guess between increasing the price and keeping the product intact versus keeping the same price and reducing features, they must have taken a conscious decision favouring the latter (for reasons unknown to us).
If someone wants lesser features, he can always buy the lower variant .

With time, your products must IMPROVE, not take a step backward. And if this is indeed the philosophy that Tata wants to continue with, then in 4 years, we'll end up with a Hexa sans even air-conditioning. Yeah, I know that's an exaggeration, but you get the gist.

Indians now want VALUE, not necessarily the cheapest product. The customer has already shown Tata that they will pay good money for good products.

And by the way, it's not that Tata hasn't increased prices.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:13   #7
BHPian

They could add another variant instead, the customers should always have an option of a fully loaded car.
And it is not just TATA, we've seen the same by Hyundai for i20.
rish_arora is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Now THIS needs to be made a big deal! Thank you Chirag for bringing this to our notice. Just when Tata started building confidence amongst us, this happens.

Someone who works with Tata should bring this to their notice.
I am on it.
frankmehta is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:19   #9
BHPian

Well timed thread, and TML needs to do some introspection. Feature rationalization does not equate to feature deletion. A customer will not appreciate the fact that the variant s/he has bought has LESS features for the same (or increased) prices vis-a-vis someone who had bought the same variant as an early adopter.

Instead of rewarding the early adopters (with a lower introductory price), this is actually penalizing the late adopters. The Hexa has suffered the most, but even the Nexon has basic features like a rear reflector going missing. The Tiago has rear parcel tray strings missing! This is being penny wise pound foolish. It leaves a very bad taste in the mouth for someone who has purchased a brand new car, only to know that they have been shortchanged. Word-of-mouth publicity is a very strong factor for prospective customers, especially when a lot of their target audience are first time Tata buyers.

IMO, if production costs have increased, or if TML simply wants to revise prices upwards - so be it. But don't tamper with the variants feature wise.
digitalnirvana is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Indians now want VALUE, not necessarily the cheapest product. The customer has already shown Tata that they will pay good money for good products.
Yup, totally concur with what you & others have written above. But at least to me, it seemed a wee bit unfair to call this deletion of features "sly" (for reasons stated in my previous post), hence the request for editing the title.

However, if the Mods deem it an accurate reflection of the real state of affairs, then I defer to your judgment.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 17th October 2018 at 14:22.
comfortablynumb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 14:51   #11
Team-BHP Support

Oh Tata, of all the things you could've learnt from Hyundai in your quest up the sales charts, you chose the worst bit!

It doesn't even make much financial sense for them. Maruti or Hyundai may argue they save a lot of money with such shenanigans due to their sheer volumes, but Tata will lose a lot more than they stand to gain from this.

Dumb move Tata, just when you were beginning to be taken seriously in the market after years in the doldrums.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 15:39   #12
BHPian

Well fiddling with minor bits and bobs or strings and straps can be tolerated, but skimping on such significant features is just plain stupid.

Quote:
-12V Power Outlet only in the Front Row now
-No longer gets steering-mounted audio/phone controls.
-Base XE no longer gets speed-dependent volume control.
-Rear parcel shelf removed from the XM and XT.
-Day and Night IRVM removed from XT.
-Central locking with flippy key removed from XM.
And removing stuff from the Tiago? I guess they are gearing up for the Santro launch

If this is the case with Tata, then I think people waiting for the Harrier have to hurry up with their bookings when it launches.
arbaz906 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 17:16   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Gautam Jain for sharing the information below with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Quote:
Petrolheads,

Was going through the thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-new-cars.html

Got to know there are 2 more things not highlighted in the post.

Tiago List:

1) In September 2018, Tata removed the digital temperature and fuel meter from XZ variants. Now it’s similar to lower variants (pic attached).

2) Window switches aren’t backlit now, except on the driver's side for his window switch.
Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?-image1.jpeg
GTO is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 18:06   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe it's probably due to this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ing-money.html (N Chandrasekaran: Every Tata Car - except Indica - is losing money)

TaMo has successfully established products like Tiago and Nexon in customer's mind. Now they are trying to work something towards their profitability. I see no reason except this why any manufacturer would do this.
Leoshashi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th October 2018, 18:16   #15
BHPian

Wow. The rate at which Tata is losing features is truly frightening. Looks as though Tata is not happy with the current sales, these are too high for their liking!! I am eagerly waiting for JTP but with the current state of things, I may have to seriously rethink my plans. I like Tiago from my experience of Dec 2017 one owned by in-laws. Imagine my plight if wife finds that Tiago in 2018 has less features than 2017 model. There is no way Tiago is getting approved now.

There is someone working overtime to erase whatever goodwill Tata generated over past few years. With a 4-year old Zest at home and a couple of Tiagos with relatives, I can only see my enthusiasm waning away with each round of feature deletion.

It all adds up now. Since Tata is losing money on every car they sell, best way to cut losses is to cut down features so customers can then look elsewhere. Less cars sold, less the losses!! Way to go Tata!

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 17th October 2018 at 18:21.
ksameer1234 is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed