Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2019, 13:38   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata developing a premium hatchback, the Altroz

Just came to Hi Tech Satluj Motors near Kullu for some work in my Nano, and saw a brand new Nexon XZ+ ready for delivery, and it still has a Rear Fog Lamp. Pic attached below.

Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?-img_20190616_133539084_hdr.jpg
AdityaDeane is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 21:33   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
Just came to Hi Tech Satluj Motors near Kullu for some work in my Nano, and saw a brand new Nexon XZ+ ready for delivery, and it still has a Rear Fog Lamp. Pic attached below.

Attachment 1885607
May be old stock? When I took delivery back in Jan, there were older cars in display.
knaveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 21:52   #228
BHPian

Re: Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
If I remember right Tata deleted a host of features from Nexon.
Driver side request sensor, 12v charging at back, auto locking, rear fog lamps, reverse parking assist control and also they don’t have dedicated mute button on the steering wheel
You meant passenger side request sensor. I still have the park assist in the infotainment system and it works - I guess it is just the physical button that was deleted. I see a mute button on the steering wheel too.

Quote:
Are you sure it is not just a reflector?
Old 17th June 2019, 22:30   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass View Post
Are you sure it is not just a reflector?
Not sure if zooming in will help clarify that doubt, but trust me there was a bulb inside
Old 17th June 2019, 23:27   #230
Senior - BHPian

My aunt took delivery of a Feb 2019 Tiago XZ+ and compared to the older Tiago's, the following items & features were found to be deleted:

1. Rear fog light
2. Backlit power window switches
3. Boot lamp
4. Under bonnet insulation
5. Rear parcel tray lifter cords
6. The separate, individual coolant temperature & fuel gauges have been deleted. Fuel gauge is now integrated into the MID. Coolant temperature gauge has been reduced to a warning lamp.
7. Wheelarch claddings

The beancounters at Tata Motors are having a party! And, boy - oh - boy, aren't they enjoying it!
arjab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 23:44   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if zooming in will help clarify that doubt, but trust me there was a bulb inside
Don't forget there are still some 2018 models being delivered, sold at a decent discount.
Glass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 00:41   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
6. The separate, individual coolant temperature & fuel gauges have been deleted. Fuel gauge is now integrated into the MID. Coolant temperature gauge has been reduced to a warning lamp.
This one really takes the cake. The other ones are plain feature deletion which I can understand (not agreeing with)

But this one. Think of someone doing a cost-benefit analysis of introducing a NEW component just to save costs - designing, developing, prototyping, testing, manufacturing. And then actually going ahead with that. All to save costs.

Take a bow TML. Pass on my thanks to the "consultant" whose brainchild this must have been.
digitalnirvana is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 12:34   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvasista View Post
Not sure if this was already added.

I own Tata Tiago XZ with alloy wheels - April 2018 model. There is no vanity mirror on driver side where as the passenger side has a vanity mirror. The official review here says mirror is present for both.

Reference:
https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/tat...ta-zica-46.jpg
My XZA manufactured in Nov2017 also does not have a vanity mirror on the driver side. Just present on the passenger side visor.
Any idea when this feature was removed? May be just the first batch had it.

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 17:52   #234
BHPian

Quote:
My aunt took delivery of a Feb 2019 Tiago XZ+ and compared to the older Tiago's, the following items & features were found to be deleted:
Hey Arjab,

You are right. They have gone out of Tiago long back except for the 1st one. As far I know and from review of Team-BHP also, rear fog lamp was never in place.

Reference:
Check out the rear foglamp provision for international markets
https://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/tat...ta-zica-33.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Any idea when this feature was removed? May be just the first batch had it.
Yes UB, may be the first batch probably had it on XZ model and then deleted later.

Last edited by ampere : 18th June 2019 at 19:04. Reason: compacted quoted post
bvasista is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 17:58   #235
BHPian

Is this even ethical from Tata’s side?

One takes test drive of vehicles that may have the said features and book the car expecting the same, only to be surprised later. As usually test drive vehicles are from first batch, right?

Were you guys informed of the deleted features prior to booking for transparency sake i.e test drive vehicle vs booked vehicle? (I know, who am i kidding )

Last edited by SideView : 18th June 2019 at 18:20. Reason: Adding more info
SideView is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 18:32   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post

Were you guys informed of the deleted features prior to booking for transparency sake i.e test drive vehicle vs booked vehicle? (I know, who am i kidding )
Not really.

Many a times, the dealership themselves are not aware of what changes are made on new models. May be the higher ups know it but the communication within the dealership are below average.

fortunately I was aware of all the deleted features when i bought the car through fellow bhpians and insisted on these to be added. Surprisingly the sales guy was not aware of these deletions

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 18:41   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Not really.
Many a times, the dealership themselves are not aware of what changes are made on new models. May be the higher ups know it but the communication within the dealership are below average.
So you had to pay extra, i assume? Or were you lucky to get it as freebies, Since you mention that they weren’t aware of the said deletion?

What about the brochure they had shared with you, was it upto-date regarding the deletion?

Last edited by SideView : 18th June 2019 at 19:07. Reason: Added brochure query.
Old 19th June 2019, 21:37   #238
Senior - BHPian

Was tailing a brand new Tigor XZ+, (ribboned & garlanded), today and noticed that when the driver was applying the brakes, the full width of the high mounted LED stop lamp was not lighting up, although the HMSL stretched from corner to corner of the rear windscreen.
Only the centre portion of the HMSL, plus a few more LED's , flanking it, to create a "visual balance" I guess, was lighting up, but definitely not the full width. Has cost cutting wielded it's axe here as well, by deleting LED's, and making the balance HMSL strip a dummy?

Now, I don't recall accurately, please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the HMSL, in the launch version Tigor's light up in entirety, a la Jaguar's?

Last edited by arjab : 19th June 2019 at 21:40. Reason: spelling mistakes corrected
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 21:42   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was tailing a brand new Tigor XZ+, (ribboned & garlanded), today and noticed that when the driver was applying the brakes, the full width of the high mounted LED stop lamp was not lighting up, although the HMSL stretched from corner to corner of the rear windscreen.
Only the centre portion of the HMSL, plus a few more LED's , flanking it, to create a "visual balance" I guess, was lighting up, but definitely not the full width. Has cost cutting wielded it's axe here as well, by deleting LED's, and making the balance HMSL strip a dummy?

Now, I don't recall accurately, please correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the HMSL, in the launch version Tigor's light up in entirety, a la Jaguar's?
Yes it lit up end-to-end for the Tigor, looks super nice.
fx45 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 22:43   #240
BHPian

I worked with one of the Tier1 suppliers for Tata motors earlier this decade I used to visit their Pimpri and Ranjangoan Pune plant weekly and the Pantnagar plant every couple of months. Most of my time was spent on the Safari, Tata Ace, sumo and indica lines. A constant feeling throughout my work with them was that most TML employees live and work in a bubble oblivious to the world outside. Surprisingly I didn't meet many people passionate about automobiles at TML either with engineering or production. Conversations had very little to do with technology or cars. It was only cost. Penny pinching was the norm and that's all that mattered. Can the part cost be reduced was the only question asked.
Point being that such behavior of random feature removals probably stems from the fact that reduction of BoM cost per model per quarter is the only measurable metric. Engineering has probably provided a list of features that can be removed to reduce cost and purchasing uses a few of these every quarter or two to meet their metrics. The method to achieve it is not important and the impact on the customer or quality is secondary to cost. Everyone wants to tick a box every quarter and go home peacefully.

Last edited by yd_gli : 19th June 2019 at 22:58. Reason: Added content.
yd_gli is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks