Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2019, 00:21   #241
BHPian

Re: Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
Penny pinching was the norm and that's all that mattered. Can the part cost be reduced was the only question asked.
Point being that such behavior of random feature removals probably stems from the fact that reduction of BoM cost per model per quarter is the only measurable metric. Engineering has probably provided a list of features that can be removed to reduce cost and purchasing uses a few of these every quarter or two to meet their metrics. The method to achieve it is not important and the impact on the customer or quality is secondary to cost. Everyone wants to tick a box every quarter and go home peacefully.

This is quite interesting because with Tata Harrier I noticed the whole central console "Including handbrake" was quite loose and would go back and forth when pushed with some force and creaks can be heard when pressing the lcd screen edges.

Overall this was quite bad compared to the Compass and even Creta. Yet the sales guy said "Sir its normal har car mei hota hai"
Old 23rd June 2019, 00:25   #242
BHPian

For a change, Tata adds/upgrades equipment list in the Nexon. Albeit with an increase in price.
Attached Thumbnails
Why is Tata Motors deleting features from its new cars?-tatanexonfeatureupdate1.jpeg  

McLaren Roxx is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 12:16   #243
Senior - BHPian

WOW! That's a welcome move Tata. Kudos

Can anyone clarify whether the deleted rear fog lamps are back too in the recent batch.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 23rd June 2019 at 14:15. Reason: Grammar
Old 14th October 2019, 14:50   #244
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine who works in Tata motors dealership said that Tata has discontinued Silver color from Nexon and Orange color from Tiago. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 14th October 2019, 15:06   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
A friend of mine who works in Tata motors dealership said that Tata has discontinued Silver color from Nexon and Orange color from Tiago. Can anyone confirm this?
Silver Colour on Nexon is the least seen colour on road. I have spotted about 2 silver colour in Bangalore till date.
Best selling are Blue, Red, Grey and white is second least selling colour. I wished they had Brown and Black colour (W/o the hideous Karz) as well.
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 15:34   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Silver Nexon being discontinued is kind of ok. I have hardly seen a single silver Nexon. But orange discontinued on the Tiago is shocking. IMHO the car looks the best with that orange colour. I own one.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 15:42   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Silver Nexon being discontinued is kind of ok. I have hardly seen a single silver Nexon. But orange discontinued on the Tiago is shocking. IMHO the car looks the best with that orange colour. I own one.
When I booked & got mine in August 2019, the silver was still available. Quite possible that its gone considering its seen the least on road. But silver used to look quite sober too. Wasn't bad. Made lines look very sharp.

As for the Tiago - the orange (I think Sunburst Orange it was called) indeed is discontinued since a couple of months already. While the SA didn't divulge the reason I think its to make that colour more exclusive. Nexon has an Orange, Harrier has its signature orange (I think it was almost same as the Tiago & this might be the reason!). I'm inclined to think the premium Altroz will have the Orange too. And thus its being discontinued from Tiago which is more of an entry level car for Tata.

Also - I think Orange is a colour harder to "make" of a good quality. For it to really age well & retain its glossy glitz - it needs to be quite thick, well prepared. Must be costly. Any cheaper & you'll see those always fade & go dull in an year. It almost starts looking non metallic! I think the cost of a premium finish paint isn't justified as per Tata in the price at which Tiago is offered perhaps.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2019, 16:12   #248
Senior - BHPian

Seems like Tata has removed Aux input from Tiago. The newer Tiagos with digital instrument cluster have Aux input missing. There is a bhpian who owns Tiago JTP with retrofited touch screen ICE unit from factory was also complaining about Missing aux in his car.
Old 27th October 2019, 09:25   #249
BANNED

Quote:
ve just joined TEAM-BHP and am delighted to do so with so many well informed and highly knowledgeable car enthusiasts to boast of.
I've provisionally booked Nexon XZ Silver with a dealer in Chennai by paying Rs.11,000/- and hope I made the right choice. The final offer made by the local dealer KLN motors is Rs.8,62,000/- which includes rto registration,insurance, bumper to bumper insurance and also exchange of my flood affected 2007 Santro xing which they agreed to take for Rs.1,10,000/-. They do not have stock of XZ and promised delivery within 20-25 days. The dealer has confirmed availablity of XZ Silver and has taken the booking but delivery only after 20-25 days.
Hope ,the pricing is ok and the right decision
Danny121 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 09:01   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Was discussing this with a friend - a fellow Storme owner, and he pointed out some more:

Storme LX - ABS, Rear disk brakes, 3rd row cabin lamp, Side and Rear foot steps, Rear jump seats

Storme Ex - 3rd row cabin lamp, Rear jump seats, Rear fog lamps, Heating rear-view mirrors

Storme VX - 3rd row cabin lamp, Chrome finish on mirrors, and even the Analog clock

Sad, because these are not big ticket items either.
The clock was a very beautiful tie, indeed.
Kind of iconic.

Sad that Tata decided to put an ugly piece of plastic in its place now.
I have The MY13 and I’m glad I am not deprived of these features.

Will have to do a lot of research now. Was planning on the hexa or harrier.
Old 16th September 2020, 09:19   #251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny121 View Post
The final offer made by the local dealer KLN motors is Rs.8,62,000/- which includes rto registration,insurance, bumper to bumper insurance and also exchange of my flood affected 2007 Santro xing which they agreed to take for Rs.1,10,000/-. They do not have stock of XZ and promised delivery within 20-25 days.
That's a great price for one of the safest cars in India. Congratulations for the purchase.

I read through a few recent posts on this thread, and it surprises me that Tata is still deleting interior lights and trims instead of adding stuff like air purifier etc. to command a premium. The approach should be to make these small accessories so easy to install that any owner would pay extra to get them.

In our Hexa, we got fog lamps installed from a dealer and it cost us 15k, which is a lit for a small pair of lights but then the XTA was much more expensive and foglamps and DRL were to only useful features compared to the XMA in our opinion.

Deletion is not the solution. Give customers the option to buy the stuff they want. I personally hate tablet size touch screens. I would be glad if they installed a normal bluetooth single din stereo (because most of the music is controlled through the phone) but gave some more safety features for the same price. Someone else might want a sunroof. Let customers decide what they want. Charge them accordingly. Make fittings modular.

Last edited by Cessna182 : 16th September 2020 at 09:20.
Cessna182 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed