Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:20   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Passat Connect launched at Rs. 25.99 lakh! A significant price cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Multi-link. It's a proper premium car.
GTO, which is a better handler and bet for an owner-driver? I found the Superb TDI somehow more sportier. Also is the Passat 8.5 coming soon?!
Old 22nd October 2018, 12:46   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Passat Connect launched at Rs. 25.99 lakh! A significant price cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
GTO, which is a better handler and bet for an owner-driver? I found the Superb TDI somehow more sportier. Also is the Passat 8.5 coming soon?!
Just jumping in on this:

IMO, the Passat would be a better owner-driver car - the interiors when you drive are that much nicer, the shorter length is a boon when in traffic & tight parking situations, and the ride & handling is quite decent.

The Superb though is the king of the chauffeur driven segment, and it's important to note that the longer wheelbase superb actually feels quite planted at higher speeds. However, even though it does a stellar job of shrinking around you when you drive, the extra length can still be felt unless your commute has wide open roads & ample parking.
lamborghini is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 17:48   #18
BHPian

This is interesting! I am looking at replacing my Vento with an automatic from the higher segment. And for some reason, I am partial to sedans. I plan to test-drive Elantra, Octavia and Jeep Compass thrown in just so that the shortlist does not look too short.

With Jeep Compass, petrol is the only version currently available in automatic. For Elantra, the diesel is not considered as the engine is from a segment below. For Octavia, both petrol and diesel are being considered. For petrol, the 7-speed DQ200 gear box reliability is a concern (the diesel uses the wet clutch 6-speed DQ250). And for the diesel, the inferior rear suspension (instead of the superior multi-link on the petrol) is a concern.

Now here comes the Passat, whose comfortline edition seems to be priced very close to the diesel Octavia L&K; the highline being too much of a stretch for me. It also addresses both my concerns with the Octavia twins above besides being from one segment higher. I typically consider only the highest versions so as not to have a buyers remorse later. But in this case, the comfortline only loses DCC, panaromic sunroof, color MFD and the 360 degree cameras as compared to highline (the last being the one that I really care about) apart from some decorative bits.

This will definitely be added to my shortlist. But meanwhile, does anyone know how the comfortline rides as all reviews including the TBHP one talks about the ride quality of the highline (with DCC). I am specifically looking at highway manners, on whether it rides flat without the unnecessary vertical movements as it induces car sickness for my family members.

- Prasad
pnredkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2018, 19:43   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't rule out highline. DCC and Panoramic roof are killer features. I will not have the heart to pass them up. Goes without saying that more features mean more things to go wrong but I feel panoramic roof and DCC are fairly mature tech that has tickled down to this segment (finally!!). VW remains a source of comfort and solace in our land of underpowered CVT mayhem.
androdev is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 17:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Don't rule out highline. DCC and Panoramic roof are killer features. I will not have the heart to pass them up. Goes without saying that more features mean more things to go wrong but I feel panoramic roof and DCC are fairly mature tech that has tickled down to this segment (finally!!). VW remains a source of comfort and solace in our land of underpowered CVT mayhem.
I can consider the highline if they offer me a good loyalty bonus But, I get your point and I will seriously consider stretching my budget. You appreciate the little details and the way VW packages their cars after living with it. I was seriously contemplating swapping my manual Vento for an automatic one. But considering how the traffic might be in another five to ten years, this actually might be the last big car that I buy. So, I intend to splurge a little and enjoy it while I still have some zest for driving rather than being driven around!
pnredkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 11:37   #21
BHPian

One more major difference worth the price - HL comes with Napa pure leather while CL comes with Vienna art leather.
Old 1st November 2018, 17:03   #22
BHPian

Anyone tried to buy one of these? I was interested in purchasing, but Mumbai dealers are trying to sell me the car at the regular 32.99 ex showroom price with a 4 lakh discount on final on road price, instead of billing it at 28.99 and calculating road tax and insurance based on that. If anyone has any concrete info on what VW is actually doing, I would love it if you could share it with me. Alternatively, if you know a good salesman in Mumbai, who is willing to deal honestly, please let me know. I would like to purchase this asap.
apurva512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2019, 17:12   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Anyone tried to buy one of these? I was interested in purchasing, but Mumbai dealers are trying to sell me the car at the regular 32.99 ex showroom price with a 4 lakh discount on final on road price, instead of billing it at 28.99 and calculating road tax and insurance based on that. If anyone has any concrete info on what VW is actually doing, I would love it if you could share it with me. Alternatively, if you know a good salesman in Mumbai, who is willing to deal honestly, please let me know. I would like to purchase this asap.
In the same boat as you, very confused about what is happening with VW right now. I read the website, 'www.volkswagen.co.in' it has two models listed there for the comfortline.

'Passat comfortine connect' with an ex-showroom price of 25,99,000 and 'Passat comfortline' with an ex-showroom of 30,21,500.

What i've understood is that the difference between the two is a connect device which i can purchase separately as well. How is something with an added feature cheaper? if so why is the older model still available, if all it requires is a simple add-on?

Hoping to clear this out i call up the showroom that i have dealt with in the past. He says there is no such model as a 'Passat comfortline connect' and is trying his best to sell me a Passat comfortline '2018' model (ex-showroom 30,21,500) with a discount of Rs. 4,00,000. Making it 26,21,500 and says if i throw in an extra 6,000 he will give me the connect device.

so more or less, i am expected to pay Rs, 26,81,500 (ex-showroom) for a 2018 car with a connect device while the website says it should be Rs. 25,99,000 for the current model

is anyone else seeing an issue with the math? or are the dealers plain and simply trying their best to con?

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 6th April 2019 at 02:55. Reason: 60000 = 6000
Old 4th April 2019, 17:24   #24
BHPian

Hi, I found that ultimately, there is no point in trying to argue about the mathematics the dealers are using. Just sit down with them with your cheque book, and tell them the price you want the car at, and haggle until you get close enough to be comfortable. This is what I finally did. They are quite desperate to sell the car, as sales are pathetic. This is a great opportunity to pick up a fantastic car at prices much lower than the competition.
apurva512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 12:46   #25
BHPian

Iv got a handwritten quotation from the dealer in my city!! Talk about professionalism and for the too I had to chase him multiple times and finally shot out a mail to the customer care for him to respond and that too..wait for it.. his complaint that i'd complained due to which his salary might get deducted all the while no mention of my quotation. Finally when i lost my cool with him he sent me a handwritten quote and post that has been following up regularly not for my decision on the Passat but on getting me to sign a customer satisfaction form because his salary might be on hold otherwise! So much for Volkswagen dealer experience! That's the only thing making me shudder with the purchase else the prices quoted are 29.75 for Comfortline on-road and 33 for Highline on-road but only for Black/Brown and Grey colour apparently for any other colour it'll cost a lac more as communicated to me!! Also delivery is after 21 days so i'm guessing it'll be a 2019 car.

I don't know what to make of it and i don't know whether it'll be worth it to take the gamble but with nearly 10 lacs off from the Camry I don't know what other alternative I have, it's even cheaper than the Superb!
Old 26th April 2019, 14:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post
Talk about professionalism.

So much for Volkswagen dealer experience! That's the only thing making me shudder with the purchase else the prices quoted are 29.75 for Comfortline on-road and 33 for Highline on-road but only for Black/Brown and Grey colour. Also delivery is after 21 days so i'm guessing it'll be a 2019 car.

I don't know what to make of it and i don't know whether it'll be worth it to take the gamble but with nearly 10 lacs off from the Camry I don't know what other alternative I have, it's even cheaper than the Superb!
Nothing to comment on the dealer's (lack of) professionalism, other than absolutely appalling. Good luck dealing with such people during any future service or repair jobs.

Don't be sure so sure if yours will be a 2019 model (it may or may not be). I took delivery of my Passat in December (2018) and as per the VIN decoder, mine is a Feb 2018 car. I too had a waiting period of about 30 days. It seems Volkswagen have many kits (the Passat is assembled in India and the kits are imported in CKD condition) left over that they assemble as and when they are ordered. However, I am happy with my car so far.

Camry - Great car, awful price. Superb - Good package, scary service. Overall, the Passat is the best option all factors considered. However, if you can stretch your budget, do take a look at the C-Class (freshly facelifted) and 3 Series (possible discounts).
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 14:26   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Nothing to comment on the dealer's (lack of) professionalism, other than absolutely appalling. Good luck dealing with such people during any future service or repair jobs.

Don't be sure so sure if yours will be a 2019 model (it may or may not be). I took delivery of my Passat in December (2018) and as per the VIN decoder, mine is a Feb 2018 car. I too had a waiting period of about 30 days. It seems Volkswagen have many kits (the Passat is assembled in India and the kits are imported in CKD condition) left over that they assemble as and when they are ordered. However, I am happy with my car so far.

Camry - Great car, awful price. Superb - Good package, scary service. Overall, the Passat is the best option all factors considered. However, if you can stretch your budget, do take a look at the C-Class (freshly facelifted) and 3 Series (possible discounts).
I have a 3 Series in the family already so i'm not very keen on the German trio. There is no comparison on space. I had the Pre-hybrid generation Camry and post that the Honda Accord so am spoilt for space and even the Octavia which was my immediately previous drive was more comfortable on the space front than my 3 series. Apart from that Honda and Toyota have a factored in reliability quotient which was really satisfying hence the itch for the Camry, regardless though the Passat gives a good feel, its understated so will blend in and has the required space as opposed to the German trio. I don't see any Passat's on the road in my city though and that puts a doubt in terms of parts availability and the service capability by the dealer. All things considered maybe I should consider the Comfortline based on the situation of the dealer, it'll at least lower chances of part failures!
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks