Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2019, 19:57   #76
BANNED

re: Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs

Much has been talked about Maruti S-Presso's not so good design, but it didn't stop the car from selling in good numbers. Likewise, I think design won't be a deterrent in case of Hyundai's Aura too. If it fail, it can be due to other reasons but not the design unless the design is very very ugly.

A car though good in other aspects may fail if the design is not good or resembles Indica, but not if it carries a Maruti/Hyundai badge on it.

Got to give it to Tata for churning good designs, and for bringing out production spec cars which are close to concept cars.

Hyundai is seeming to follow Tata's designs, Nios design is close to Tiago's design with Hyundai touches, and now Aura seems to have adopted Tigor's notchback(or what word?) design but blacked out the c-pillar to hide it!

By the way, this design is ugly in the sense that there is no cohesiveness between the front and rear.

Last edited by wheelguy : 19th December 2019 at 20:06.
wheelguy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 20:18   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai Aura price announcement and market launch on January 21, 2020.

Link
Old 19th December 2019, 21:22   #78
Senior - BHPian

What an ugly car ! Surprised Hyundai couldn't get it right after the disaster the Xcent was in terms of design. I can't figure out if it looks like a car that's been bashed up or does it look like 2 cars stitched together ! It's just horrible
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 21:31   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The Hyundai Aura has been extensively tested in India and here’s a look at what all has been done. A total of 7750 km of testing done.
Is that a typo with the number of kms the Aura has been tested on Indian roads? 7750 looks really a huge number.
ram87pune is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 21:32   #80
BHPian

Truly ugly design. It is repulsive. Hyundai could have pulled a better design. The Xcent looks better and more decent in comparison. The blackened out C pillar also looks ugly. In my opinion this is the ugliest car of the year 2019. Period.
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 21:37   #81
Senior - BHPian

at first I hated the rear design but when i tried to imagine body colored c pillar instead of black then it looks better. A bit of Amaze feel from the rear and a Dzire feel upfront. Just the rake angle seems unnecessary. Rear bumper sits much higher than the front reminding you its a last minute addition.

Last edited by Nithesh_M : 19th December 2019 at 21:40.
Old 19th December 2019, 21:49   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Is that a typo with the number of kms the Aura has been tested on Indian roads? 7750 looks really a huge number.
Probably the testing was to know if that boot which looks attached, would fall off on our roads or not.
tharian is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 22:23   #83
BHPian

I always thought this iteration of the Hyundai Verna was the worst designed Hyundai that was sold in India. NOT ANYMORE
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-hyundaiverna560x420_560x420.jpg  

Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-hyundaivernatransformrearlamp.jpg  

captain.torque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 22:25   #84
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a "Function over Form" design, looks positively gawky especially the side profile and C pillar backwards is real awkward. The boot integration has gone awry for sure. Where the Dzire looks grown up, proportionate and attractive, this looks a step back design wise and looks awkward. I think this cars strength's are going to be the premium interior feel and engines powering it, especially the BS6 diesel and the turbo petrol. If "Looks could Kill" a product, then this is it. We all flogged the Maruti S-Presso no end, but it went on to succeed selling some 11k units at launch. So Hyundai has taken a leaf from the Maruti design book and has given this "toad of a car" to the Indian public. Could call it repulsive or even "The Frog Prince"

Link to ACI site https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...evealed-415319
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-hyundai-aura-2.jpg  

Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-hyundai-aura.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 19th December 2019 at 22:31.
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 22:26   #85
Senior - BHPian

So a lesson in designing sub-4m cars from their hatchback versions: if the hatchback does not sit flat i.e. not wide enough to look at, its sub-4m version is definitely not going to be a great looking one, no matter how great the hatch looks. If the car was as flat-ish as seen in the sketches, it would have looked pretty good. One of the reasons why the new Dzire looks better, even the older Amaze had better proportions as it was based on the Brio.

Reminds me of Chevrolet's sub-4m car designed using Beat that was similar to this. The windows are too big. Tata did a better job with the Tigor. But I guess the feature list looks good. Wireless charging in a sub-4m car, then a bigger 8 inch display with better audio kit. People are getting some pretty nice features in economy cars ! Not to mention Hyundai's exceptional interior quality.
NiInJa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 23:11   #86
BHPian

First gen Xcent, except for plain back it was a no nonsense car. I owned a petrol Xcent and covered 60K kms without much issues. I expected Hyundai to compensate that in Aura, but they over compensated.
vvivek85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2019, 23:20   #87
BHPian

Really ugly merging of the boot with the Grand i10 Nios to make up the Aura. The only saving grace for the owners would be that they won't see it once inside the car (no offence to any prospective owners )
adi.mariner is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 00:04   #88
BHPian

This thing is atrocious! The more I look at it, the angrier it makes me. How on earth can entire teams of designers/engineers and bean counters create this contraption, take a step back and say "Yes! this is great, we must sell this and people will buy it."
Ugh! designs like these and the inevitable shift towards EVs. There's nothing more left to be enthusiastic about, at least in the near future.
arbaz906 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 00:06   #89
BHPian

IMO, This is one car which can straight away be put on the Weird and Wacky Thread without any mods or owner interventions. May be Hyundai designed it with that thread in mind Again, just the first of many more from Hyundai having seen glimpses of the verna facelift and the next gen Creta.
aenkay91 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 05:08   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_Sensei View Post
Wow, Never expected the 2nd gen "Xcent" to look this bad! I think Tigor is the best designed car in this segment, wish it were a bit wider and a little lower slung.
Absolutely agree. The TATA sub 4M sedans Zest [as a fellow BHPian stated in an earlier post] and Tigor still look the only good designs in this segment. Amaze comes close but the vertically flay front and rear do not help it. Also agree on the part that the Tigor should have been a bit low slung, especially the slightly ungainly look of the jacked up rear suspension. Tigor takes the award from my end for the most proportionately integrated boot.
Guru_GPS is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks