Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2019, 12:35   #121
BHPian

re: Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs

What happened to Hyundai these days. Rear design is not they great. They had a great design with Accent. It was simple and elegant. This new design reminds me of TATA Zest.
ash22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 12:41   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

If a similarly designed product had been launched by a local manufacturer, the thread would have been up in flames by now! In the highly competitive sub 4 meter sedan market, it is going to be very tough for Hyundai to sell the Aura, despite the relative strengths of the underlying platform. Hyundai's current design language is puzzling to say the least, it looks as though you will end up buying a Hyundai despite the styling, rather than due to the styling.

I wonder if people will slowly start referring to this as the Hyundai Horror rather than the Hyundai Aura (tongue in cheek of course!).
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 13:00   #123
BHPian

An ugly car can do well only if it's from Maruti or Hyundai, agree? Spresso is selling in good numbers because of it's practicality (engine, space, vfm) and the Maruti badge. Even Aura's rear is ugly ugly, Hyundai sales guys will emphasize how unique it is . Let the reviews come out and see if Hyundai has done justice to this car in other departments.
Old 21st December 2019, 14:43   #124
BHPian

Just for that kink on rear door the side profile goes for a toss. Had that been a straight line, it would have been a straight line from front to rear. Less said the better when talking rear profile.

Last edited by alexpaul : 21st December 2019 at 14:44. Reason: spell correction
Old 21st December 2019, 17:07   #125
GTB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Attachment 1947340

Source:@launch

Sketches really look great. I wonder what went wrong with the final product.
Note: couldn't quote an image
Old 21st December 2019, 17:40   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
If looks could kill a product, this certainly would take top ranks. After Verna transform, this is easily the worst looking Hyundai.
Let's not jinx things. Wait for the Verna facelift to be launched (if they ever do).

On a side note, the DZire is not bad looking! It's the best looking in the segment, followed by the Aspire and then.. nothing. Personal opinion.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 21st December 2019 at 17:51.
Old 21st December 2019, 18:17   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat.75 View Post
I'd suggest you should wait for the new Creta to launch ! It'll surely take that crown!
Of course I have seen it, sir. The new Creta does look weird from some angles especially the rear but personally, the Aura's behind is whackier!
Old 21st December 2019, 19:28   #128
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai "Aura", should have named Hyundai "Bore aa".

This is the most funny looking compact sedan currently on sale, this should go directly to the weird and wacky modifications thread. Droopy boots do not look good on compact sedans! What were you smoking Hyundai?
Old 21st December 2019, 19:33   #129
Team-BHP Support

The more and more photos and videos I see of the Aura, the more I think about how did something like this even get approved at design stage. I mean there is not one person that is calling the Aura good looking.

Did nobody at Hyundai point out during the development stage, guys it doesn't look good. How did they all approve this and say it will work.

Everyone thought the Amaze was quirky but it worked. They managed to figure out that the compact sedan has to look like a proper sedan and not one with boot slapped on like the first gen Amaze.

What's funny is the XCent was one of the smartest looking compact sedans in the market and the next gen Aura will be the ugliest.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 19:43   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The front portion and rear portion appear to be different vehicles.

Looking at the lack-luster enthusiasm in this thread, I doubt this product will succeed.
Front of an i10 Nios, rear looks like a squashed 2020 Elantra. Absolutely disproportionate. Makes Skoda's attempt to do a squashed Octavia for facelifted Rapid's fascia look handsome and mature. Honestly, the Xcent looks infinitely better, is much better proportioned. Honestly would prefer the DZire or the Tigor over this one. As the Indian made Elite i20 scored an average 3 star rating in Global NCAP, I'm not expecting this to fare any better. According to many reviews for the Nios, the 1.2 kappa motor is no longer a performer like it had been in the older cars. Performance wise it won't be any good unless the 1.0 GDI is introduced.

But I'll reserve my views until I see one in the flesh. Hope it fares much better. But still, disappointing. Heck, the Amaze looks handsome now.
GipsyDanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 19:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The more and more photos and videos I see of the Aura, the more I think about how did something like this even get approved at design stage. I mean there is not one person that is calling the Aura good looking
Probably the design team showed these photos to the management and then later they sent another design to the engineering department
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-images-28.jpeg  

Hyundai Aura (2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent). Edit: Launched at 5.8 lakhs-images-29.jpeg  

tushky is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 20:12   #132
BHPian

This car seriously looks like straight out of a kids cartoon show .
Seriously!

What's happening Hyundai?

It's sad to see such outcomes from a brand which used to bring in some really enthusiastic designs to market. I still remember the time when I used to watch the fluidic design TV ads again and again and wondering how only Hyundai can pull off such brilliant designs.
ashikthomson is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 20:28   #133
Team-BHP Support

Minority opinion perhaps, but I think this iteration was a good opportunity for Hyundai to create a notchback (à la the Accent Viva), esp. with the turbo petrol motor.

The rear is overdone, sure, but the ugly sum has some rather promising parts, given it's based on a handsome hatchback. Hyundai just failed to aggregate them properly.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 21st December 2019 at 20:31.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 21:09   #134
Senior - BHPian

2nd-gen Hyundai Xcent launch in 2020. EDIT: Named Aura

Just like how Suzuki spun off the Dzire from the Swift, Hyundai too should have tried to design the body shell completely different from the Nios, that would have given them a fresh base. And for a player like Hyundai, Volumes are never an issue, Im sure they could have generated at least 4-5k sales per month of this car. And the car could have anyway used all the parts from the Nios except the body shell. I think almost all sub 4m sedans today are not so bad looking, the Aspire, Dzire and the Amaze look quite good, compared to how this segment started off 10 years ago. The Zest is almost dead now, and the Tigor, it does look good too. And now Hyundai comes with this Aura sedan which is easily the least cohesive.

Hyundai seems to be losing the focus on Design these days. Even the Venue comes across as a very immature design, the rear and the front do not match even in this. And we now have the new Creta 2020 and a new Verna 2020 which have both been unveiled in China, and my god, they look hideous as well! I have two Hyundais, a Creta and the elite i20, and looking at the way Hyundai is designing cars, Im probably buying never one again.

Last edited by motorworks : 21st December 2019 at 21:16.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 21:25   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
.. I have two Hyundais, a Creta and the elite i20, and looking at the way Hyundai is designing cars, Im probably buying never one again.
Given Hyundai's penchant for messing up alternate iterations, the ones after may actually turn out great.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks