Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 08:56   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Did they reach out to you on their own, or did you have to get them to check whether your car is part of the recall?
While I have been in touch with Maverick5490, this email was bcc'ed, hence I think it was sent to a group of owners.

Quote:
My car is a 6 Cyl diesel manufactured sometime during July 2015. Likely candidate?
I think you have narrowly missed it as X3s with 3.0 diesels manufactured till 27th May 2015 are part of the recall. But still, run your VIN. Your CKD kit could be from an earlier date.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 21:26   #17
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!

Gave the car today. Was quite oddly informed that they will check the part in concern and only if the condition warrants replacement will they replace it. This was at Infinity Turbhe MIDC. Info by a senior person. But I think it is erroneous. Let me see at time of delivery.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 11:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
My car is a 6 Cyl diesel manufactured sometime during July 2015. Likely candidate?
Called my service advisor yesterday and asked him to check if my car is part of the recall. He initially said that if it was part of the recall they would have sent me the communication. I still asked him to check in their systems with my car's VIN and confirm. He came back saying that he checked and that it's not part of any recall.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 11:59   #19
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I was today informed that they did a check of the EGR and found it fine and Reset it. Replacement is not required though it is in the listed VINs. I found that very odd. But I do recall they did do some work on this 2 yrs back during a coolent leakage so not sure. Clearer information and more transparency would have been preferred.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 13:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

If the EGR is known to be a suspect as per VIN, should they not mandatorily replace the required components?

If they say that the failure depends on the usage and the driving style, who will be responsible for future failure/problem? Driving style / usage can change in future.

In future, what if there is indeed a fire / engine failure due to coolant leakage? Will BMW cover the same under good will? What if an unfortunate incident occurs due to this problem?

I am not convinced with the reply saying that it is not required to replace the parts. This is a very serious issue which mandates replacement of parts and if VIN falls under the effected list, parts are to be replaced IMHO.
Chethan B G is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2019, 23:42   #21
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

There are 2 campaign variations.

500 - Most 530ds come under this and the procedure is inspect and replace.

400 - X3s, X5s with 30d engines come under this and the procedure is inspect, reset and replace only if any anomaly is detected, which is usually not the case.

This basis verbal inputs from service advisor at Infinity Turbhe.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2019, 08:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
There are 2 campaign variations.

500 - Most 530ds come under this and the procedure is inspect and replace.

400 - X3s, X5s with 30d engines come under this and the procedure is inspect, reset and replace only if any anomaly is detected, which is usually not the case.

This basis verbal inputs from service advisor at Infinity Turbhe.
In case parts are not replaced, will BMW certify that the vehicle is thoroughly checked and everything is in order? Will they give it in writing that the part doesn’t need to be replaced even though there is a recall? I think they will shy away from giving it in writing.

As this is a mandatory recall and the issue can lead to a life threatening situation, we should insist / demand that the findings are to be given in writing as part of the documentation. This may pressurise them to replace even if they have a 10% doubt on the status of the parts.
Chethan B G is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 12:04   #23

When I sent my X30d for a checkup in November '18 to BMW Infinity, Thurbe I was given a quote to fix the EGR. When I refused and got my car back I did some research here and found this statement from BMW dated 23/10/18 pertaining to the EGR recall. When I questioned BMW India why the EGR was not fixed under the recall as my car was clearly covered under it, I got no answer. Instead they asked me to send the car back again so that their own technicians could check the car and take the necessary actions.

What if I have paid for the initial service? Would I have got a refund once the recall came to light? BMW India is very much in cahoots with their dealers.
samjav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2019, 13:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjav View Post
When I sent my X30d for a checkup in November '18 to BMW Infinity, Thurbe I was given a quote to fix the EGR. When I refused and got my car back I did some research here and found this statement from BMW dated 23/10/18 pertaining to the EGR recall.
Is your car under warranty? If yes, then it makes no sense to send quote for anything as it should be covered under warranty irrespective of the recall.

Can you please share the quote? Would be interesting to see what BMW wanted to repair/replace exactly.
Old 5th February 2019, 14:13   #25

The car is mfg 2011/06. Not under warranty. I sent my car in as the engine light kept coming intermittently. The fault was diagnosed (after 1 week) as EGR issue and a quote was sent. Of all the problems i've faced with BMW cars in the past years, this was the first for EGR so after I did some research online I found out that this was not an isolated issue and that infact a technical recall was published prior to that.

It was only after I gathered all the facts and wrote to BMW India, did they tell me that my car was infact covered by the recall & that I should send it across (again). I can't help but think that Infinity was trying to pull a fast one one me. I've asked BMW India for clarification as to the date the dealer was informed of this recall and whether or not it was known to them at the time the pro-forma was issued. Awaiting a reply.

In a separate but related issue, my recent experience with the same dealer who has grossly overcharged me for a battery change. This is in 2017 post GST & they have invoiced me for a new battery at MRP + GST instead of MRP Incl. of GST. I discovered this fault when a user here put up the invoice of his battery change from another dealer during the same period and I noticed the huge difference in the amounts (Rs.12,000). I had put in a complain with with BMW but the dealers tried to shrug it off as a system mistake, but such companies are audited on a yearly basis and such a HUGE overcharge will definitely stick out in their accounts. This cannot be a mistake. Like me there must be 1000's of other unsuspecting people who have got their cars serviced/ repaired there and paid 48% extra in GST over and above the MRP.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW may recall over 1 million diesel cars globally due to EGR defect & possible fire!-untitled.jpg  

samjav is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 16:24   #26

Latest update: Even after EGR issue has been fixed under the technical campaign, i'm told that the check engine light is still on. I was categorically told the first time around that if I paid and had the EGR replaced, the engine light would go. Now even after the EGR has been fixed or rectified or replaced, the light is still on & they're asking me to pay for diagnostic charges (again) to find the problem. I don't understand how these guys function.
samjav is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2019, 16:13   #27

Post complaint to Legal Metrology, Maharashtra they have conducted an inquiry and found instance of overcharging MRP. I suggest anyone who has had a spare part changed from BMW dealers verify the MRP of the part and make sure they've not been charged GST on the MRP & the price paid should be all incl.
samjav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 13:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

So my brother's 2013 520d suddenly saw excessive coolant loss and was rushed to service center. They checked and found the EGR cooler to be leaking coolant. Now since this was covered under a recall in 2018, his car was inspected in 2019 at the time and it was found to be okay, hence the EGR Cooler replacement campaign was not carried out on his car. But this issue cropped up and service center gave a quote of around 60K for replacement of EGR Cooler and its connecting hose. We are trying to fight with BMW Nagpur to get this covered in the campaign as its a known issue. Anyone had a recent issue with the same?
adi_petrolhead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 01:12   #29

In 2019 when I first raised this issue and was told that despite the EGR requiring replacement it was not covered under the recall, I knew something was amiss. I refused to pay for something that was clearly a faulty part and was being replaced FOC worldwide. Typical of BMW to treat Indian customers like this. However, to my surprise now I get an email from BMW with the subject “Safety Recall Campaign :- Replace exhaust-gas recirculation cooler campaign”
I really don’t understand why they couldn’t just replace it the first time around? It’s like they were waiting for something to go wrong. We need stricter recall rules. Don’t let this slide. They have to replace it FOC.
samjav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 17:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjav View Post
In 2019 when I first raised this issue and was told that despite the EGR requiring replacement it was not covered under the recall, I knew something was amiss. I refused to pay for something that was clearly a faulty part and was being replaced FOC worldwide. Typical of BMW to treat Indian customers like this. However, to my surprise now I get an email from BMW with the subject “Safety Recall Campaign :- Replace exhaust-gas recirculation cooler campaign”
I really don’t understand why they couldn’t just replace it the first time around? It’s like they were waiting for something to go wrong. We need stricter recall rules. Don’t let this slide. They have to replace it FOC.
That’s quite weird. So what happened for you ultimately? Did they do it FOC?

After minor escalation, they replaced the EGR cooler FOC but charged us for the EGR valve. The quote came down from 85K to around 30K.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed