Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2007, 08:30   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbagai View Post
On Dec 29th I went to take delivery of Verna
Why not 2007 model ? If I am not wrong there aren't many year end discounts on Verna.
Old 9th January 2007, 08:51   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Crazy, can you please give me some insight on what these "company expectations" are? You seem to have insight into this.
I have a friend in the company... Last time i talked to him, he was also worried of the sales figures not going up much, inspite of cannibilising accent sales..

The loss in the sales of the accent havent been compensated by high sales of Verna... (May be, they will eventually, cause of that fantastic diesel... I havent driven it yet... Had a decent drive of the Accent CRDi... And was mighty impressed)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th January 2007 at 08:53.
Old 9th January 2007, 09:06   #18
Team-BHP Support

Surprisingly, i saw a lot more Verna's during my trip to Kerala, rather than along the IT corridors of Bangalore. I guess the sales figures would definitely pick up soon enough.
Old 9th January 2007, 10:37   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, (and I am only commenting because I am waiting for my Verna CRDi, lol)

To call the Verna a Flop is either stupidity or news-sensationalism. It's simple. It's a fantastic car, the buzz is huge, the question is simple - WHY aren't we seeing more Verna?

Well, many are waiting, like me. It was the end of the year and many wanted a 2007 manufacture.
Hyundai had a factory production roll out date of 5th January 2007. I have no idea how many cars, but I can safely assure you they are ALL pre-booked. That means by the 20th, 25th of january, there WILL be more Vernas.

I do not know why Hyundai is taking it easy, but I assure you, they know what they are doing. Maybe it's lack of supply of engines, maybe they don't want to kill the accent, I don't know and neither do these speculators.

It's a good car, great value, good engine. I liked it, with my limited knowledge of cars and THAT (limited knowledge) segment is the biggest segment. Not you car lovers. Hyundai service is renowned and Hyundai resale value is high. That's why people are buying the car.

This week, the verna won "Car of the year" from Overdrive and "Best VFM car" from CNBC-Autocar. May not influence your buying decision, but will influence thousands of buyers from my (limited knowledge) segment. I predict a lot of vernas on the road soon.

And a 10,000/- rupees hike, hardly warrants a reaction. IMO.

Cheers,
Old 9th January 2007, 10:58   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Well, many are waiting, like me. It was the end of the year and many wanted a 2007 manufacture.
thats a valid and can be a strong point for not many Verna's on road. Lets see what happens in a month or so. All those who were waiting will buy them and we will be able to see many more Vernas. If not then ...
Old 9th January 2007, 11:08   #21
Team-BHP Support

I dont know what all the fuss is about. I'm seeing so many vernas on road here in bangalore.
Ive seen a few accident met verna VGT at the service centre as well.

What Sam says is also true. december sales are always low. people prefer waiting for a 2007 model.

It's the same with all the cars. remember the swift. there werent too many on the road cause Maruti couldnt meet the demand. people started speculating that the car wasnt doing well and it had defects and what not. now see the number of swifts.
Old 9th January 2007, 11:16   #22

Hi All,

This is my first post after joining
We are not seeing many Hyundai verna on road is because of big waiting list. I checked with both the dealers in bangalore and they have 25 days waiting list, still more with ABS and disc brakes
On the contarary Ford fiesta is available within two days of booking
Old 9th January 2007, 11:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Verna is not a flop. One must wait atleast 1 year to predict whether the car is flop or not.

Regarding price hike. Remember fiesta price hike in december last year ?? Anyone ??

That didn't affect the sales of fiesta and i dont think that price hike will kill Verna sales. The only thing now is competition between Verna and Fiesta.. So some will opt for Fiesta and some for Verna.....

Though IMHP Hyundai should not have gone with bookings. They should give ready delivery from the start as 2007 gonna be a hot year for diesels... So many diesel launches in 1st quarter can affect sales of any company...
Old 9th January 2007, 11:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Surprisingly, i saw a lot more Verna's during my trip to Kerala, rather than along the IT corridors of Bangalore.
Simple - Kerala has a history of taking up new stuff faster, whether these are FMCG Goods, Consumer Durables or Vehicles. Which is why you see a lot of product launches or 'feeler clinics' (whatever they are called) in this tiny state. Ask Ford, Hyundai or Skoda. The only cars that dont do quite so well in the state as they do outside are the Hondas - Kerala is more of a Toyota country, probably because of the large 'Gulf' influence.
Old 9th January 2007, 12:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly, i saw a lot more Verna's during my trip to Kerala, rather than along the IT corridors of Bangalore.
Most must have been the CRDi's.
Old 9th January 2007, 13:34   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Ask Ford, Hyundai or Skoda. The only cars that dont do quite so well in the state as they do outside are the Hondas - Kerala is more of a Toyota country, probably because of the large 'Gulf' influence.

Kerala is a Diesel market and thats why no hondas and more of Ford, Hyundais and skodas...
Old 9th January 2007, 13:38   #27
Senior - BHPian

The "introductory" price had to be revised, right? They cant stay like that forever.. To me, this hike doesnt mean anything more than that..
And they must be worried about the sales for sure.. Although I have seen quite a few Verna's in bangalore (all but one were diesel)..
Old 9th January 2007, 13:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

As mentioned in other threads and also here, combined sales of Accent & Verna for Dec06 was 942. This includes all variants of both petrol & diesel.
This number is quite low for Hyundai and definitely they want see this number rise.
They are already charging a 'bomb' for their CRDi, and lets see how people take to the recent price revision. Added to this is Verna CRDi doesn't come with ICE and buyers will always have to spend on ICE.
Old 9th January 2007, 15:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
They are already charging a 'bomb' for their CRDi, and lets see how people take to the recent price revision. Added to this is Verna CRDi doesn't come with ICE and buyers will always have to spend on ICE.
The ex-showroom price of Fiesta 1.4 TDCI ZXI is 7.63 lakhs (Mumbai) and that of Verna 1.5 CRDI is 7.71 lakhs (Prices before revision)
The Fiesta comes with speakers and HU compared to Verna. Suppose you need an average ICE setup, it will cost around 15-20K (at least for me). So, the total difference (with ICE setup in Verna) comes to around 25K between similarly positioned models of Fiesta and Verna. But, Verna has got a superior engine with more power and capacity compared to Fiesta.

Now the question is, whether 25K is such a HUGE difference when
a) you compare the engines of Fiesta and Verna?????????
b) you compare the spare parts costs?
c) you compare the maintenance and service costs?
d) you compare the A.S.S of Hyundai and Ford?
Old 9th January 2007, 15:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navdeep View Post
Why not 2007 model ? If I am not wrong there aren't many year end discounts on Verna.
Its just that I sold my Esteem VXi the other day and was in a hurry to buy another car. Also I am not planning to selll Verna for another (4-5 years may be) so there will be hardly any difference after that in resale value. Also got 23,000 discount from dealer (10,000 cash discount + 50% ins. i.e. 13,000). Also I got the car financed through ICICI and got it before the interest rate hike of .5. ..And I knew that introductory price may end soon..so saved 10000 there too.
Thanks
Rohit

Most Viewed