Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2022, 18:22   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Noob question:

Does this ban apply on 2 wheelers as well? My motorbike is completing 15 years this december and I was planning to renew the LTT for another 5 years as I dont really have an alternate choice currently in market that I would like to switch to nor a use-case as my running is 100kms a month max these days.

All this while I didn't bother much as it was only in Delhi and I thought since it didn't do any good there, the draconian law won't be spread across the country further. However looking at what's happening in Kolkata am pretty sure this would trickle down to other states pretty soon. In that case I dont want to pay up for 5 year extension only to end up forcibly having to scrap it next year.
Old 15th August 2022, 14:24   #347
BANNED

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

This is a very long thread and even after going through it, I am hoping some of the experts and those with inside information can provide insights into the below queries:

1. Did the NCR ban specifically call out the BS versions that were under the purview of the ban? Or was it only based on Age of the vehicle (no-matter which BS stage they were on)? Asking this to know if BS6 cars would also come under the radar after their complete 10 or 15 years respectively?

2. There is another TeamBHP thread where members are describing the renewal experience of their 15 year old cars (including Diesel cars) in other states! They are paying some form of Green Tax with inspection and getting their vehicle registrations renewed for the next 5 years pretty easily. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...u-think-7.html (Procedure of renewing vehicle registration at the 15-year mark | It's easier than you think). This is contradictory to the ban in NCR.

3. Mahindra, Tata etc are rolling out Diesel cars like cakes out of a bakery. Its not possible these manufacturers do not have inside (Govt, Green Tribunal etc) information about the future of Diesels. Could it be possible they are clearing off their Diesel engine inventory and transferring the pain of owning a Diesel to customers in a master stroke of a strategy?

4. Is BS6 up for a rehaul? Have heard CAFE, BS-6.2 IIRC.

Last edited by MetalClank : 15th August 2022 at 14:31.
MetalClank is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 01:26   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
Levying a penalty on filing a petition, just 3 or 4 brainless people deciding for the whole country and taking away their hard earned money and then any illiterate politician making any rule as he pleases and taking the whole country for a ride ain't democracy.

Please do not address a bench as 3 or 4 brainless people. It's like calling most experienced of folks here with technical/practical expertise as retards. Decisions are taken on what's being presented and proven. It's got nothing to do with reality. Illiterate politician has the votes required, period. Majority wins and that's democracy.

We're no longer a democracy. If we look around with people being jailed for just expressing their true feelings and such rules, that's NOT democracy. What happened to Freedom of Speech?
I totally disagree, you unlike a lot of other people from the countries you so casually mentioned above in your post, cannot express their views on a public forum. Freedom of speech as you say. We may end up there, we are not there yet. You might not like the system but please don't insult it. It might fail you but it exists, consider yourself lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalClank View Post
3. Mahindra, Tata etc are rolling out Diesel cars like cakes out of a bakery. Its not possible these manufacturers do not have inside (Govt, Green Tribunal etc) information about the future of Diesels. Could it be possible they are clearing off their Diesel engine inventory and transferring the pain of owning a Diesel to customers in a master stroke of a strategy?
Skoda and VW have given up on the diesel. Wonder why? I'm from Telangana. It's not going to be the future for long. Just like print media. My last Skoda was a rapid diesel manual (DSG is a lottery, I'm not very lucky). There might be enough of us ICE lovers around who might still grab them. Look at me, I've been running day in and day out to grab myself a 530d! I initially got on the forum trying to get myself a X1 or a 320D and now I'm out all guns blazing for the 6 cylinder. I dare say so, we are a dying breed. I might end up buying a good old Honda City turbo diesel if I can't find myself a good 530D.

Last edited by moralfibre : 12th October 2022 at 02:17. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
Ishallownabmw is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2022, 08:57   #349
BHPian

530d or Honda City? Is that even a real comparison?
Old 14th October 2022, 09:07   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
In that case I dont want to pay up for 5 year extension only to end up forcibly having to scrap it next year.
I’m not sure about your location, but if you’re in Bangalore, get the renewal done. It costs Rs. 1200 if you do it yourself, and between Rs. 3000-3500 if you’re getting it done through an agent. A small price to pay to keep the bike running, even if you want to sell it soon.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2022, 22:31   #351
BHPian

Alright guys. Here is something new from the government now. Everything they have said that they are doing/will do something for old vehicles is plain rubbish.

Now they're coming for BS-III and BS-IV vehicles, leave aside this 10 year vehicle life. As predicted, stubble burning has resumed which was delayed because of rains.

Quote:
Delhi air quality nears 'severe' category

The Commission for Air Quality Management (CAQM) said the authorities might impose restrictions on the plying of BS III petrol and BS IV diesel four-wheelers in the NCR considering the worsening air quality.
Hindustan Times Link

No impact assessment or outcome report for earlier ban and now this. These buffoons won't find the solution to stubble burning rather choose to harass the easy targets. No matter what they ban they won't get any positive outcomes till they find a solution to stubble. I don't support any party but spending 34 times on advertising alone won't get any results.

Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR-screenshot-20221029-22.21.34.png

Newslaundry Link

If you check the response to this from farmers, most of them say this doesn't work and nobody from the government has reverted for any feedback. Some of them have started selling them as bales, which in turn is used as packaging material.

If the government has funds for advertisement, why can't they simply push these farmers for initiatives like this?

Pathetic is the word for these buffoons sitting on chairs doing the exact opposite of what they came to power for.

Last edited by batish : 29th October 2022 at 22:36.
batish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th November 2022, 11:10   #352
BHPian

One of my friends in RTO was telling me yesterday, that even the BS3 petrol vehicles which are older than 10 years are going to be banned as well in the NCR.

As the current CNG prices are no more a profit proposition, I guess the only undercover solution NGT is pushing the people is towards the electric vehicles.
Old 13th November 2022, 11:17   #353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB4DI View Post
One of my friends in RTO was telling me yesterday, that even the BS3 petrol vehicles which are older than 10 years are going to be banned as well in the NCR.
I don't think NGT discloses anything beforehand, so take this info with a pinch of salt. Even if they can, they cannot enforce this at all. Also consider geographically NCR area is huge.

Nobody in their right mind would dispose off their working vehicle.
Old 17th November 2022, 16:05   #354
Senior - BHPian

Re: Losing old vintage registration numbers due to VAHAN glitch - negligence and apathy!

Anjanji,
Any news on relaxation of NOC issue rules by the Delhi RTO for 20 year old cars? They refuse to understand any logic, for modern classics or to be classics.
Old 17th November 2022, 19:26   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Losing old vintage registration numbers due to VAHAN glitch - negligence and apathy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
Anjanji,
Any news on relaxation of NOC issue rules by the Delhi RTO for 20 year old cars? They refuse to understand any logic, for modern classics or to be classics.
@scooby : As it is a Supreme Court decision there is almost no hope for such relaxations of any kind. Unless a larger Bench hears a new petition and nullifies the older judgment, it will continue to have its effect, though we all know that it is totally illogical and bereft of natural justice, equity and good conscience.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 00:37   #356
BHPian

EV Conversion of Elantra Diesel possible?

Hi,

Ive been stressed about my 2013 Elantra SX Auto CRDI turning 10 and Im in delhi.

Is there any way or supplier that can retro fit convert my DIESEL car to either EV or CNG?

I really don't want to part ways with my love.

Its just unfair.
zen kobane is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 08:24   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: EV Conversion of Elantra Diesel possible?

Sell it off, man. There isn’t much to be done here. Old cars and Delhi NCR just do not go together anymore.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 09:14   #358
BHPian

Re: EV Conversion of Elantra Diesel possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen kobane View Post
Hi,

Ive been stressed about my 2013 Elantra SX Auto CRDI turning 10 and Im in delhi.

Is there any way or supplier that can retro fit convert my DIESEL car to either EV or CNG?

I really don't want to part ways with my love.

Its just unfair.
Makes no sense absolutely! For the cost of the conversion + the resale value, you can get yourself a nice, new generation car. That's saying even if the conversion is possible, which is unlikely, with the major changes converting it to a non standard spec car.

You never know, your Elantra love story may end with hate and frustration in the end.

Bottom line: not worth it. Say your goodbyes.

Last edited by reppy : 17th December 2022 at 09:15.
reppy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 14:42   #359
BHPian

It's never easy to say goodbye to our ride. In my case, after making all the necessary repairs and upgrades, I had to let it go within a few months with a heavy heart.

So it's better to let it go now instead of spending more time and money then sell later.
Old 20th December 2022, 15:13   #360
BHPian

It's hard to let go but once a new vehicle will enter your life the Elantra will be long forgotten.

Get something safer and feature loaded to help with the transition! Just the thought to start research and going for test drives would help you feel better!

Most Viewed