Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2022, 15:36   #361
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

If you have a private parking. Transfer it to another state's number and keep her as a weekend/late night/early morning car
Siddj38 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 07:33   #362
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Reviving this old thread with a noob question.
Say somebody had a 5 year old diesel (15 year “lifetime” tax paid) car in 2018 when this ban was enforced. In 2023 when the car turns 10, what exactly happens?
Can the car be used till it turns 15, as tax has already been paid?
Or will it have to be scrapped? If so, will the residual value and/ or tax be refunded to the owner?
Asking because the entire nation is staring at the prospect of a similarly draconian rule being enforced.
Old 10th May 2023, 07:58   #363
BHPian

Well I don't think this the case. Even now the lifetime taxes are for 15 yrs but the vehicle is allowed on road for 10 years. You are free to transfer the cars to areas where such rules are not applicable. However the checking is not very stringent and nowdays you have colour coded stickers with the year of manufacture being mentioned on it so makes it easy to catch offenders.

The amount of salvage or residual value will depend on the scrap merchant. As regards the rc charges these can be claimed as refund but since it is not seamless therefore many do not undertake the hassles unless the refund is quite substantial.
Old 10th May 2023, 10:20   #364
BHPian

Delhi Transport Department officials visited my locality in South Delhi and started picking up parked cars which had crossed 10/15 yrs deadline. As expected, there were protests and a ruckus by the owners - but to no avail. The department officials were well prepared and had a mini contingent of security officers to control the situation.
kushagra452 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 12:44   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
Delhi Transport Department officials visited my locality in South Delhi and started picking up parked cars which had crossed 10/15 yrs deadline. As expected, there were protests and a ruckus by the owners - but to no avail. The department officials were well prepared and had a mini contingent of security officers to control the situation.
They can pick up vehicles only from public areas, they cannot pick up a vehicle from a private property.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 12:55   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
They can pick up vehicles only from public areas, they cannot pick up a vehicle from a private property.
If you have an entry to a basement/stilt parking, they cannot, and do not pick up these cars.
However, if it is parked next to wall outside of the gates, its open season. And that is the case in all of the colonies, like Lajpat, Southex. Heck, if they went to even Jorbagh/Golf links and such, they will find people using the space outside their houses for parking their cars.
And these are all fair game
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 13:44   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
If they can see and it is accessible then they will pick it up.

A friend of mine visited delhi with 10+ year old diesel vehicle while he was not stopped by cops anywhere, he parked at a secluded spot for 30 mins and the car was picked by these hooligans, they are not even police they are just private contractors to whom some sort of tender has been given to pickup 10 or 15 year old cars from anywhere they can and my friend had his family's luggage in his car and they didn't even let him retrieve it. While i understand them picking up a car due to rules but they should allow owners to retrieve whatever they need if the owner shows up within some specified time limit.
revvharder is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 14:14   #368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvharder View Post
If they can see and it is accessible then they will pick it up.

A friend of mine visited delhi with 10+ year old diesel vehicle while he was not stopped by cops anywhere, he parked at a secluded spot for 30 mins and the car was picked by these hooligans, they are not even police they are just private contractors to whom some sort of tender has been given to pickup 10 or 15 year old cars from anywhere they can and my friend had his family's luggage in his car and they didn't even let him retrieve it. While i understand them picking up a car due to rules but they should allow owners to retrieve whatever they need if the owner shows up within some specified time limit.
Hooligans? What did they do other than their job to be labelled as such.

While it may sound harsh but I have no sympathy for your friend. He clearly knew he was breaking the law. We so called educated people do it and then expect leniency. A few harsh stories like this getting around will deter other adventurous rule breakers.
SedateGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 14:24   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post

While it may sound harsh but I have no sympathy for your friend. He clearly knew he was breaking the law. We so called educated people do it and then expect leniency. A few harsh stories like this getting around will deter other adventurous rule breakers.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and they could have just let him retrieve his luggage from the car, they had already towed it to their place so there was no reason to not allow them to get their luggage.

And a person who earns 3-4 LPA and his Swift which has run only 60,000 kms can't be expected to buy a new car at the whims and fancies of the government and BTW he was visiting AIIMS for his fathers medical treatments whose mobility is limited to a wheelchair.

So i'd say they're hooligans when they don't even allow someone to retrieve their luggage from their car.

Last edited by revvharder : 10th May 2023 at 14:29.
revvharder is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 17:19   #370
BHPian

Well, I had a neighbor's old rusting Wagon R parked opposite my house in Delhi and it was so old that even its tires lost air and were sitting in dirt upto rims. Despite me asking them about 25-30 times to sell off the scrap, they didn't budge as it wasn't parked in front of their own home, rather in front of mine.

Long story short, it was promptly picked up by the cops with a tow truck last week, after clicking photos of all such cars in the area.
Good Riddance.

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 10th May 2023 at 17:20.
car_crazy1400 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 02:21   #371
BHPian

Quote:

Well sir, so called educated people are passing harebrained laws to the detriment of common people and then employing private contractors to implement the same. And that’s fair game?
The indignation of misplaced self-righteousness is an increasingly dangerous trend these days.
GreyNomad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 07:30   #372
BHPian

Having relatives outside NCR has become so important suddenly.

Cars getting picked up from owners standing beside them is not done.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 01:00   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
Well sir, so called educated people are passing harebrained laws to the detriment of common people and then employing private contractors to implement the same. And that’s fair game?
The indignation of misplaced self-righteousness is an increasingly dangerous trend these days.
You are defending the fact that a rotting old vehicle with no registration was picked up? please correct me if I was wrong here? Our "fanda" is clear, not in use? kill it. You don't need to be "busy" "rich" or anything that qualifies, but i dont collect my junk vehicles on public roads/ parking slots. Life over, kill it.

Having lived in new friends colony, the number of dead accords, 800s, is a pity to watch, since no one can use that slot to park their new compact SUVs.

Im glad they picked up that relic and gave it the treatment it deserved.
vividhavasthi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 01:48   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividhavasthi View Post
You are defending the fact that a rotting old vehicle with no registration was picked up? please correct me if I was wrong here? Our "fanda" is clear, not in use? kill it. You don't need to be "busy" "rich" or anything that qualifies, but i dont collect my junk vehicles on public roads/ parking slots. Life over, kill it.

Having lived in new friends colony, the number of dead accords, 800s, is a pity to watch, since no one can use that slot to park their new compact SUVs.

Im glad they picked up that relic and gave it the treatment it deserved.
Rotting vehicle? I believe the swift in question was a 10yrs old 60k kms run vehicle. Unless we have more information on the condition of the vehicle, pray tell how have you reached the conclusion that it’s in a rotten state?

No valid registration? Once again how do know that? The BHPian who posted about the incident didn’t mention any such detail.

Life over? Doesn’t the RTO collect 15yrs’ tax and registration charge during purchase? And does the RTO refund 5yrs’ worth of such charges + interest the moment said vehicles cross the 10yr mark and become liable to be picked up? So despite the automakers extensive research on product life cycle, RTO’s own guidelines at purchase and basic common sense, various vested interests, judicial vigilantism and misplaced frustration like yours can arbitrarily decide the ‘life’ of a vehicle?

Our country doesn’t lack rules/laws, just the will to implement existing ones correctly. Don’t vehicles require PUC clearance? Isn’t there a valid rule (with tests and checks) on how to reregister a vehicle post the 15yr mark? Proper implementation of these rules will more likely result in a real health check of a vehicle than as arbitrary, probably motivated and definitely open to corruption a rule as the 10yr one.

Finally, you’re surrounded by dead Accords and 800s and you pity them and your life amidst them. Or perhaps you’re more concerned about not getting a parking space for your recently bought vehicle. And you’re absolutely right. But do you know how notoriously difficult it is to scrap a vehicle legally? Once again, in a country as corrupt as ours, such a law and open license to pvt contractors is a perfect storm for hapless citizens. More than some wheat will be thrown away with the chaff. And that is contrary to what law must ensure, because if it fails even one innocent, it fails as a whole.
GreyNomad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 05:43   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Not everyone has the ability or luxury to replace cars every few years.
The law is anyways stupid and draconian as it is; it has been in place since late 2014 and there has been no drop in the levels of pollution.

Outstation vehicles visiting NCR or just transiting through NCR should be exempted from this law period.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 14th May 2023 at 05:45.
akshay4587 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks