Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2019, 23:51   #91
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Is this the judgement valid for all diesel vehicles irrespective of BS-IV/BS-VI? If yes, then why would anyone who has an option to buy BS-IV get BS-VI vehicle?

I still can't believe how absent-mindedly they passed this judgement.
Old 22nd May 2019, 14:00   #92
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

While the NGT imposes illogical bans on old private vehicles in the NCR region, the future of gasoline and diesel run vehicles in the country looks bleak. At the same time, no one bothers to bat an eyelid when these crude illegal three wheelers belch thick black smoke and pollute away to glory.

Audio isn't very clear since AC was on full blast.

Video captured at 12:30pm on 22nd May, 2019 at Barrackpore Chiriamore Circle, West Bengal, IN.

boniver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 18:18   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
I was under the impression that the ban has already been enforced. Can Delhi BHPians confirm whether old vehicles have started getting de-registered?
Yes. DL Cops were stopping cars up to at least 2 months ago, that "looked" like manufactured in 2009 (Diesel) or 2004 (Petrol). Note - this was a specific campaign - not attached to moving violations. The action was to immediately impound the vehicle and slap IIRC a ₹5000 fine.
For last 2 months - there hasn't been any noticeable cop activity targeting older vehicles at least on the routes I take (primarily in South Delhi) - presumably due to other more pressing duties.
I'm sure when they prosecute a moving violation, RC particulars when inspected, will also result in similar (calamitous) consequences, as seen during the campaign.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 23:16   #94
BHPian

Any chance of such a ban being passed for all the states to curb pollution? After bs6 norms come in, doing this would kill the used car market. I am considering buying a 2011-2014 used diesel suv. Still a bit hesitant. What do you advice?
Old 10th July 2019, 09:44   #95
BHPian

I will soon be a victim of this ban. Having to sell a great machine, that has been cared well for the past nine years, for almost peanuts is painful. Really hurts to loose over 50% in the sale price of my used car just because of the ban.

My suggestion will be to look beyond diesels.
aarvee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 10:06   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat B View Post
Any chance of such a ban being passed for all the states to curb pollution? After bs6 norms come in, doing this would kill the used car market. I am considering buying a 2011-2014 used diesel suv. Still a bit hesitant. What do you advice?
There is no plan as of now but it certainly feels the next move that they will make as and when the media and social platforms start highlighting the pitiful air quality of these non NCR areas. The air is no different in most cities and towns in India, rather it is worse than Delhi in many towns or nearly equal. It is just that we grabbed the headlines due to the visible Smoke carpet that engulfed us during winters that year for the first time.

Needless to say that the Government hasn't taken any step whatsoever towards addressing the issue. Some speeches here and there and ill-logical banning of things like cars and multiple businesses in Delhi, is the only thing that they have done. And it follows that this would be their masterplan for rest of the country too as and when the need arises. It is only a matter of When and not if.
drmohitg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 10:23   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shashwat B View Post
Any chance of such a ban being passed for all the states to curb pollution?
Like it or not, the ban will eventually come to all states of India. It seems to be the easiest way out for governments to "address" increasing air pollution levels.

I wouldn't recommend a 5-8 year old diesel vehicle at this point of time. If you want a diesel, go with something newer (2016+) otherwise stick to petrol. There are a few options for petrol SUVs in the market and you might want to take a look at used sedans as well.

Alternatively, you can buy a 9 year old well-maintained diesel SUV from Delhi and transfer it to your place. From what I've seen, they're going for peanuts here and you may get a better deal this way even after transfer and transport costs.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 12:04   #98
Senior - BHPian

A very bad rule indeed. I am sure there are many owners like me who don't use their car's much and is still in very good running condition. Why should we be forced to sell our cars for peanuts when we purchased them at the high prices earlier and contributed to the govt's tax kitty in road tax and other taxes ?

I think it's high time we people start a campaign such as Let it Rust in India so that people stop purchasing cars all together. Then the govt can be happy with slightly less pollution, but can see the loss to the economy and it's revenues quadruple.
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 11:53   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

I got this video on whatsapp. Can someone confirm whether it's true?
I'm not getting anything through a cursory search:

Old 28th July 2019, 13:17   #100
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This trend of judiciary overstepping and imposing decisions which have huge impact is disturbing. In case of the government taking decisions, there is an accountability and people can vote them out in the next election.

My 14 year old Forester produces far lesser emission than the prescribed level and is in great shape. It is a pity if such vehicle has to be scrapped.

If an entire lifespan of a vehicle is restricted to 10-15 years, it will have huge impact on the sale, release value. Probably cars should be made less durable to reduce the extra burden. Probably all this will result in faster adoption of the EVs (anyone smells lobbying?)

Personally I would not want to own one of these EV's. I love the internal combustion engine too much.

As you said, like your Forester, my ~15 year old Gypsy is in singing condition as is my ~8 year old Yeti.

I see absolutely no reason to stop driving either of these and absolutely would not want to scrap them!

In fact, considering that I pay all my taxes (exorbitant, evil and usurious though they are) and the fact that I maintain these vehicles lovingly, I am actually going to keep driving these vehicles for as long as I like.

And if anyone tries to stop me (governmental authorities) , I am going to literally show them the 'finger' and I really dont care about the consequences!

I am thoroughly sick of all this draconian nonsense. They should first regulate all these scummy public transportation and commercial vehicles and impose the law on them rather than beat up private enthusiast owners whose cars are in mint condition!

Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564299776.967394.jpg

Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR-imageuploadedbyteambhp1564299918.757095.jpg
shankar.balan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 12:01   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I got this video on whatsapp. Can someone confirm whether it's true?
I'm not getting anything through a cursory search:
Ok, so after some digging around on the Delhi government website, I found this order.
Look at point number 4 on the 2nd page.
Tell me this is applicable for 15 years and for private. That would take care of a lot of heartburn for us guys.
If anyone has good contacts in the department/RTOs, please check.

Edit: Seems to be limited for commercial vehicles, though.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Odr201975389.PDF (1.19 MB, 268 views)

Last edited by mayankk : 29th July 2019 at 12:26.
Old 23rd August 2019, 21:50   #102
Senior - BHPian

Today hon'ble Finance Minister announced "BS IV vehicles purchased till March 2020 will remain operational for the entire period of registration."

https://www.indiatvnews.com/business...haraman-544347

What is the implication on BS IV diesel vehicles purchased in NCR, that come under the ambit of Hon'ble SC order, but whose purchase pre-dated the Court's order i.e. RC issued for 15 years?
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2019, 15:47   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Today hon'ble Finance Minister announced "BS IV vehicles purchased till March 2020 will remain operational for the entire period of registration."

https://www.indiatvnews.com/business...haraman-544347

What is the implication on BS IV diesel vehicles purchased in NCR, that come under the ambit of Hon'ble SC order, but whose purchase pre-dated the Court's order i.e. RC issued for 15 years?
I doubt there will be any positive impact of this for Delhi. The decision to cap the vehicle life for 10 years is supposed to rid Delhi of its pollution
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 14:41   #104
BANNED

If I buy a 9 and a half year old BS3 diesel SUV with NOC, will i be able to get it re-registered in Punjab? Or is only BS4 vehicle allowed to be registered?
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 16:38   #105
BHPian

Any vehicle can be re registered outside NCR
aarvee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks