Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2019, 11:42   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I doubt there will be any positive impact of this for Delhi. The decision to cap the vehicle life for 10 years is supposed to rid Delhi of its pollution
Quote:
The Centre has moved to Supreme Court seeking a stay on the National Green Tribunal's Delhi-NCR ban on 10-year-old diesel vehicles. The Centre has said that diesel-run defence vehicles, school buses, tractors, and private vehicles should be exempted from the ban.
Source:
https://www.newspointapp.com/english...6b4fe2da7add07
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:20   #107
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

What about petrol vehicles? There is no exact wording if bi-fuel vehicles are exempt from this draconian purging.
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:52   #108
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully sense should prevail. Outright ban is senseless. Vehicle condition and road worthiness should be the deciding factor. It will come as a relief to many.

https://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...hicles-2785151
Old 2nd September 2019, 12:55   #109
BHPian

Why do we have to pay road tax for 20yrs, when the usable life is only10yrs?

Why can't the government either reduce the money upfront or provide a refund?
duke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 11:32   #110
BHPian

Fee to re-register cars older than 15 years likely to go up by 25 times. Source : below article on ET.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...alsharebuttons
Old 26th September 2019, 23:34   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keynote View Post
Fee to re-register cars older than 15 years likely to go up by 25 times. Source : below article on ET.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...alsharebuttons
I am thinking that this would not apply to the NCR? Since the NGT imposed 15 year old rule applies here?
sibot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 23:35   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
I am thinking that this would not apply to the NCR? Since the NGT imposed 15 year old rule applies here?
No. This doesn't apply to Delhi NCR. The 10/15 year rule continues to be imposed in these parts.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 07:29   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Any idea when is the Central Government's appeal in the SC up for a hearing? There has been no news about it since it was first reported.
Old 28th September 2019, 14:11   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
No. This doesn't apply to Delhi NCR. The 10/15 year rule continues to be imposed in these parts.
I was eagerly waiting for a news like this but to my shock my wait to roll out my 21 year old Contessa out of basement parking seems not to be over soon.

My car's registration got expired in February 2018 and till now I have kept it in the basement parking of my society. Though I have a option to get its noc from authority and get it re-register somewhere out of Delhi NCR but I thought of waiting a little more if things could fall in place.

Also could anyone clarify if i would be able to ply it on Delhi NCR roads if I get it re-registered out of Delhi NCR and have a valid fitness check certificate.
Old 29th September 2019, 07:27   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuneet View Post
Though I have a option to get its noc from authority and get it re-register somewhere out of Delhi NCR but I thought of waiting a little more if things could fall in place.

Also could anyone clarify if i would be able to ply it on Delhi NCR roads if I get it re-registered out of Delhi NCR and have a valid fitness check certificate.
No you cannot run the car in Delhi NCR, regardless of its state of registration.

Having said that, wasn't there a reprieve given to vintage and classic cars? See if your car qualifies in that.
Old 29th September 2019, 09:08   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpuneet View Post
Though I have a option to get its noc from authority and get it re-register somewhere out of Delhi NCR but I thought of waiting a little more if things could fall in place.

As far as I'm aware, NOC could be obtained only before the registration expired. Since your registration has expired now, I don't think you'll be able to get a NOC, and without that, you won't be able to re-register it out of state.
Also, the general rule to transfer registration requires that the car have a valid registration. Since your registration has expired, you'd first have to renew the registration in your RTO before transferring it elsewhere, and re-registration is not allowed in Delhi NCR.
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 13:03   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
No you cannot run the car in Delhi NCR, regardless of its state of registration.

Having said that, wasn't there a reprieve given to vintage and classic cars? See if your car qualifies in that.

Is there any law that states you cannot run the car in NCR? Shouldn't the motor vehicles act come into play here?
Old 29th September 2019, 14:23   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapi View Post
Is there any law that states you cannot run the car in NCR? Shouldn't the motor vehicles act come into play here?
Nope it doesn't. Please understand that there is no logic behind this law and technically the government is right now wilfully defaulting by collecting road tax for 15 years even now while they very well know that the car wouldn't be allowed to run after 10 years in case of diesel.

But till it is corrected, the current ruling says you cannot run a vehicle in Delhi NCR once the prescribed age is reached. Outstation number cars are infact targeted more specially around the airport. I have also noticed cops stopping cars specifically for this offence as they were selectively targeting private Innovas, Santro Xing and the likes which I guess are easier to identify.
Old 29th September 2019, 20:27   #119
BHPian

Somewhere deep down, I think automotive companies are rejoicing. People will be forced to buy new cars and there will be money to be made. If gov is doing this for pollution's sake, it probably is a short-sighted decision. There is more pollution created in building an *entirely* new car, than keeping an older car on the road. But it won't be in the form of smog in the city right? So who cares.
Old 30th September 2019, 08:02   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raystriker View Post
Somewhere deep down, I think automotive companies are rejoicing. People will be forced to buy new cars and there will be money to be made. If gov is doing this for pollution's sake, it probably is a short-sighted decision. There is more pollution created in building an *entirely* new car, than keeping an older car on the road. But it won't be in the form of smog in the city right? So who cares.
+1 to that. It is nothing more than to satisfy the OEMs appetite to sell more new cars.
If government wants to control the pollution, why not let the owners upgrade to new Powertrains that harm less, instead of forcing people to spend lakhs every few years.

I believe most people wouldn't mind spending couple of lakhs, instead of 8-9+ more on a new car, especially when the current car is serving it's purpose. It is so strange that the govt. is coming up with policies without proper scrap yards infrastructure in place. In most cases, when a new car is bought from a dealer the swapped old car is being sent to the Used car market and not to scrap yards, making things even worse for the environment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks