Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2021, 12:29   #226
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

I curious, about what is the impact of this 10 years Diesel ban, on Maruti SHVS diesel cars.

My CIAZ is 2016 model & UP-14 registered, so will it have 10 years life or 15 years life? B'cos as per RC, it is valid for 15 years. Also, what happens to the Road Tax in case of former, as the same was paid for 15 years?
Old 24th January 2021, 21:35   #227
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket Verma View Post

My CIAZ is 2016 model & UP-14 registered, so will it have 10 years life or 15 years life? B'cos as per RC, it is valid for 15 years. Also, what happens to the Road Tax in case of former, as the same was paid for 15 years?
Any vehicle plying in Delhi NCR which includes ghaziabad noida gurgaon faridabad has a blanket ban of 10 years and above on diesel vehicles, 15 years and above on petrol vehicles irrespective of state of registeration and irrespective of what the RC mentions as per the NGT ruling. Road tax that has been paid has gone into govt coffers and is non refundable as the Union govt has filed a SLP (special leave petition) in the supreme court challenging this ban and matter is sub judice.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Born 2 Be Wild : 24th January 2021 at 21:38.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2021, 23:15   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I curious, about what is the impact of this 10 years Diesel ban, on Maruti SHVS diesel cars.

Ideally RC book for the new diesel cars sold in Delhi should be registered for only 10 years and the tax collected accordingly. Isn't that the case?
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 01:38   #229
Senior - BHPian

In Delhi, the road tax is still being collected for 15 years. The RC for my 2019 Hector diesel claims its valid till 2034. Daylight robbery if you ask me.
coolkurt is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 08:05   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
In Delhi, the road tax is still being collected for 15 years. The RC for my 2019 Hector diesel claims its valid till 2034. Daylight robbery if you ask me.
This is strange. The order was explicit about 10 year registration. In fact, I recall some people in the forum mentioned that their registration was only valid for 10 years, new cars. Might have misread.
Have you calculated also whether the tax was taken for 10 or fifteen years?

You should open a new thread for this, and ask others who've faced this. A third of the tax is a sizeable amount, and if it's widespread, then it's pure thievery. A forced gift from New buyers if illegitimately collected, or from people like me whove been forced you scrap their car and buy a new one, if legitimate. Either way, there's no accountability as usual.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2021, 10:10   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Any vehicle plying in Delhi NCR which includes ghaziabad noida gurgaon faridabad has a blanket ban of 10 years and above on diesel vehicles, 15 years and above on petrol vehicles irrespective of state of registeration and irrespective of what the RC mentions as per the NGT ruling.
Good Morning,

My query was specific to "SHVS Hybrid Diesel" vehicles, as these were classified as Mild Hybrid and were eligible for Green Subsidy from govt at the time of purchase (about Rs. 10,000). Ciaz was also allowed to ply on road during first ODD/Even ban and the vehicle even has a "Green vehicle" sticker from the manufacturer .

I had recently sold my 14 years old Santro (still a perfect vehicle from mechanical/electrical system) and am left with a 10 year old Manza (petrol, planning to sell in next 6 months) & a 5 Year old Ciaz (SHVS Hybrid). As we have requirement of at least 2 cars, ability to retain Ciaz for another 10 years, will allow me to jump to one of the 7 seaters, being launched later this year.
Old 25th January 2021, 10:23   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Good Morning,

My query was specific to "SHVS Hybrid Diesel" vehicles, as these were classified as Mild Hybrid and were eligible for Green Subsidy from govt at the time of purchase (about Rs. 10,000).

Your ciaz has a 10 year lifespan as its a diesel,irrespective of the hybrid tag,you could however check with registering RTO as well.
Old 25th January 2021, 10:30   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonder why nobody has gone to the court challenging this. Since this rule was imposed by the court, I am sure they are obliged to honor it.
Old 25th January 2021, 11:33   #234
Senior - BHPian

What about EVs? Do they have any defined life? I'm sure it would be more than 15. One more reason to consider an EV then.
Old 25th January 2021, 11:51   #235
Senior - BHPian

That's my question too, what about EVs?

I read the draft scrappage policy from 2019, it did not say anything about the 15 year scrappage.

Will the used car prices crash after the policy is implemented? Like a 5 year old honda city diesel for 3-4 lakhs?
Old 25th January 2021, 16:15   #236
BHPian

The used car market supports a large economy of mechanics, painters, dealers, auto spares shops, insurance etc. It is not going anywhere in a single step.

There will be gradual roll out of any scrappage policy.
Old 25th January 2021, 20:20   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Yes they can legally collect it, and to collect it the union govt has gone to the supreme court and filed an SLP against the NGT order,till the matter is sub judice they will keep collecting the tax for 15 years as they have not exhausted their legal options.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:23   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Do they have any defined life? I'm sure it would be more than 15.
My friend's colleague purchased a Nexon EV (in Delhi) last year. As per the RC, validity is for 15 years from date of registration, just like other IC engined cars.

Last edited by self_driven : 26th January 2021 at 09:25.
Old 26th January 2021, 09:29   #239
BHPian

A silly thought maybe. What about vintage cars which are more then 15 years old? I was interested in buying a yamaha 100. That guy quoted me 2 lakhs. I refrained from buying ofcourse. But what happens to these vehicles?

Last edited by motorlover : 26th January 2021 at 09:30. Reason: Spelling
Old 26th January 2021, 11:10   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Yes they can legally collect it, and to collect it the union govt has gone to the supreme court and filed an SLP against the NGT order,till the matter is sub judice they will keep collecting the tax for 15 years as they have not exhausted their legal options.
So everything that pertains to this matter, whether it's for the government or to the owner, is kinda stayed till its sub judice?
Or that the government can collect the tax, but the owner can't run his Diesel beyond 10 years?
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed