Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 16:05   #256
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNG19 View Post
Is the govt due to issue a policy statement on this? The only reference I see is the TOI article in the newspaper. Can't find similar articles in other publications.
Yes, a notification is pending most probably this month. Should be before April. That notification will clarify all confusions and speculations.
Old 19th February 2021, 16:17   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadfast View Post
Respite that owners can still keep the diesel car between 10-15 years in NCR and sell it outside to mentioned RTOs. Earlier, after 10th year, for diesel cars would be only scrapped if someone failed to transfer it before last date to other RTOs. But now we can still keep the car till 15th year and also able to sell it between 10-15 th year.
Again, this is EXACTLY what it was before also. I had posted the notification of designated "safe sale" places a few pages back.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2021, 16:37   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Again, this is EXACTLY what it was before also. I had posted the notification of designated "safe sale" places a few pages back.
From what I've heard, you could get an NOC for a DL diesel car only till 9 years and 8-9 months. After that the RTO would not issue an NOC at all, although there was no legal rule behind this (in)action.

My query:

- Will the car be insured after it finishes 10 years in Delhi, if there is no RC transfer? If yes, comprehensive or third-party insurance?
Old 19th February 2021, 17:08   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
From what I've heard, you could get an NOC for a DL diesel car only till 9 years and 8-9 months. After that the RTO would not issue an NOC at all, although there was no legal rule behind this (in)action.

My query:

- Will the car be insured after it finishes 10 years in Delhi, if there is no RC transfer? If yes, comprehensive or third-party insurance?
Nope. See the attached order and the list, which is what the TOI article above talks of. Its from 2017. Since 2017, you could get your >10, <15 year old diesel's NOC for out of state transfer as per the list in the attached order.
Insurance will be possible. But do check on Vaahan that your vehicle is still registered. In case it is "de-registered", you will still get insurance, but there will be no possibility of raising a claim.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New Doc 2019-07-30 12.19.37_1.pdf (469.6 KB, 158 views)
Old 20th February 2021, 13:35   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Wow. I did not know that and thanks for sharing.

So in a sense we can't drive the diesel car after 10 years in Delhi but still able to sell it let's say in 13th year to some specific RTOs.

Am I right in my understanding?
Old 18th September 2021, 19:19   #261
BHPian

Can I drive a 10 year old diesel car in Delhi if its registered in Maharashtra ?
Old 18th September 2021, 19:39   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya_911 View Post
Can I drive a 10 year old diesel car in Delhi if its registered in Maharashtra ?
Delhi NCR is usually the most chill about out of station cars. However, if the car is more than 10 year old, and you're stopped, you've effectively been caught breaking the law. Then it can go either way- a hefty challan, or a hefty bribe, or an even heftier bribe if impoundment is threatened.
Win some, lose some.

Last edited by Sheel : 29th September 2021 at 23:22. Reason: Typo.
mayankk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 21:49   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

As was to be expected, agents have come up. This popped up on my facebook feed. Some people in trouble can try and speak with this fellow to see how this is being done.
Ps: not associated with me in ANY manner.
Attached Thumbnails
Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR-screenshot_20210929_214642_com.facebook.katana.jpg  

Old 21st November 2021, 22:38   #264
Senior - BHPian

Delhi’s Transport Minister, Kailash Gahlot, confirmed that diesel vehicles older than 10 years can continue to be used in the NCR, provided that they are converted to run on electric power.

EV conversions restricted to empanelled. EV kit manufacturers Individual certification needed for each model’s EV kit.

Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR-smartselect_20211121223413_twitter.jpg

Source
Venkatesh is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2021, 19:40   #265
Team-BHP Support

Is it April 1st? This has to be an April Fool's joke. To allow aftermarket EV conversions in old cars sounds plain silly. Who will certify?

It's like driving time bombs through the city.

Am I missing something here?
Vid6639 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2021, 08:22   #266
BHPian

You are not missing anything, it is another joke, the kind we Indians are used to. By the way petrol to EV conversion is not allowed because they will pollute more, now figure out how .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Am I missing something here?
Old 23rd November 2021, 08:38   #267
BHPian

Its a good move, but I think in this case it will not be as simple as a CNG conversion where the CNG provider has to take certification for a particular kit which can be installed in multiple vehicles.

It will be a big challenge for the EV conversion companies to take individual certification of different variety of models.
This will ultimately lead to availability of kits of the commonly used mass vehicles only & will not help everyone

Last edited by 123.rishabh : 23rd November 2021 at 09:00.
Old 23rd November 2021, 09:13   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Delhi’s Transport Minister, Kailash Gahlot, confirmed that diesel vehicles older than 10 years can continue to be used in the NCR, provided that they are converted to run on electric power.

EV conversions restricted to empanelled. EV kit manufacturers Individual certification needed for each model’s EV kit.
This is a stupid move if we look at the complexity and uniformity impact due to diverse vehicle models .

Before looking at the adverse effect on the chassis, handling, electrical architecture etc due to the replacement of ICE with an ePWT, the traction battery pack can be a ticking bomb if quality control is not done properly.

Already lots of companies are importing the cheapest cells and BMS from china and assembling here with their own sticker for the 2W/3W application without any proper quality check and now we will see higher capacity (>15 kWh) locally assembled packs which will endanger the user as well as others nearby.

Unless developed by the OEM or by a better proven Tier 1 company which should be homologated individually for every model they make, it will create lots of safety concerns. But again, 10-year-old vehicles can be at different conditions which again questions how the homologation of a specific sample can be inline with the older batch !
Old 24th November 2021, 12:30   #269
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

All this talk about EVs being greener than ICE Vehicles is nonsense. According to a study by Volvo, making EVs result in 70% more pollution than making ICE Vehicles: https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...402945989.html

Also, as EVs use electricity, there will be an increase in electricity production which will further increase pollution. In my opinion, there is no such technology that has Zero Pollution from start to end. So both EVs & ICEVs can coexist till the time we run out of Petroleum.
CarNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th November 2021, 12:37   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Delhi Bans Entry of Petrol and Diesel Vehicles from November 27, Only CNG and EV Allowed
Is this even real? Had to double check it. Ban till December 3.

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/del...7-4481948.html

Most Viewed