Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2021, 12:54   #271
BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Is this even real? Had to double check it. Ban till December 3.

https://www.news18.com/news/auto/del...7-4481948.html
PTI reported the same yesterday but it hasn't really been in the other news media.

If true, I am sure it will be more of an inconvenience than anything else.

I am quite confident that they will allow commercial vehicles including buses, trucks and cabs thereby mitigating the whole point of this order. Only the common man will be effected like with all harebrained policy decisions.
Old 25th November 2021, 13:02   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR

This is applicable only for commercial vehicles and not for private vehicles. They seem to have missed out the word "commercial".
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 03:16   #273
BHPian

Finally! A sane suggestion by a MP. "Have pollution check on decade-old vehicles in Delhi-NCR like Parliament instead of blanket ban"

I whole heartedly wish his request goes through and the govt comes up with something positive. It's so sad and disheartening to junk a perfectly running car.

Quote:
During a discussion in the House on climate change, Mahtab said that not all vehicles cause pollution. “This is a blanket ban order. There is no limitation on how many kilometres the vehicles would have to run, whether they are pollution-free or not,” he said, referring to the green tribunal ban.

“My request to the government is that it should bring out a new law or go to the Supreme Court for reconsideration of this order,” the Cuttack MP said, touching upon an issue currently pending in the apex court.
batish is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 19:26   #274
Senior - BHPian

Delhi to deregister Diesel Vehicles completing 10 years on January 1, 2022.

Quote:
Owners of said vehicles will be given a No Objection Certificate (NOC) which will allow them to re-register the vehicle in other places.
Quote:
NOC will not be issued for diesel vehicles that have completed 15 years or more on the date of applying for it.
Quote:
the transport department has said that owners will also have the option to convert their 10-year-old diesel or 15-year-old petrol vehicles to electric vehicles in case they want to continue using them in Delhi.
Diesel EV Conversion

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 16th December 2021 at 19:29.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 19:52   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
And so the sword falls. Haphazardly, like the blade is blunt.

You can convert your diesels to electric vehicles (), but:

The empanelment process for electric kits is under process.

I am sorry if this is happening to your cars, guys.
You will not be able to sell these cars in Haryana and UP, you'll really have to head to the hinterland to do so.
Rajasthan and punjab are your best bets to get even a semi-UNscrappy price for your cars.
mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 21:57   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Have pollution check on decade-old vehicles in Delhi-NCR like Parliament instead of blanket ban

I whole heartedly wish his request goes through and the govt comes up with something positive. It's so sad and disheartening to junk a perfectly running car.
Actually, a 10 year old diesel would be BS3, so even if it is in top running form, and 99% of them are not, it would still be very polluting, compared to a modern bs6 diesel. For example, the difference in CO is 2.3g/km vs 0.5g/km, nitrogen oxides+hydrocarbons is 0.56g/km vs 0.17 g/km.

the improvements are more than 4 times.

The ancilliary advantages, helping the recycling industry, the automotive industry, are added benefits.

So maybe, it is a good thing???
kosjam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 03:20   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
Actually, a 10 year old diesel would be BS3, so even if it is in top running form, and 99% of them are not, it would still be very polluting, compared to a modern bs6 diesel. For example, the difference in CO is 2.3g/km vs 0.5g/km, nitrogen oxides+hydrocarbons is 0.56g/km vs 0.17 g/km.
The improvements are more than 4 times.

So maybe, it is a good thing???
Sir, with due respect I completely disagree with you in this aspect. There are no advantages. Let me paint the picture for you. Majority of the pollution emitters are industries in Delhi NCR region. So scrapping old whichever BS cars are won't make things rosy. This ban was imposed years back. There has been no change in pollution levels, infact I haven't seen a single year when levels were low in winter. Leave apart low pollution levels, it hasn't been even moderate.

See this article only 2,879 vehicles had been scrapped till June, and see when this ban was imposed. Mostly these old vehicles are transferred and sold in nearby states. If they are so polluting, then why allow transferring? Ban older vehicles all over the country.

Quote:
The ancilliary advantages, helping the recycling industry, the automotive industry, are added benefits.
The ancillary advantages? lol. The government and the automotive industry are the only 2 who are getting the benefit from this diktat.

Have you read any post in this forum or anywhere where the person has got refund of his road tax paid? Till date the government is collecting tax for 15 years on diesel vehicles whereas they can only ply till 10 years. The automotive industry on the other hand got boost in sales and services.

Before I forget. This diktat applies to BS6 vehicles too. No matter how less they emit particles they can only ply for 10 years.

Regarding you pollution theory. Ofcourse they emit more pollutants than the newer ones but see this post (The love of my life - A 2000 Maruti 800 DX 5-Speed. EDIT: Gets export model features on Pg 27). This one is 21 years old. Still acing the PUC test.

Sir the solution is not blanket ban. If this is how things work then ban the major sources of pollution, close the industries down. Solution is proper PUC check. If it passes then fine let the owner decide. If not, then impound it and scrap it.

It truly hurts when the vehicle is used less and you have to let it go after maintaining it and keeping it in pristine condition for all these years. We are not the government where the money in coffers will flow in somehow.

Many members who are not in the northern part and are not affected won't be knowing that this diktat applies to NCR region too. NCR region has a radius of almost 100 kms outside Delhi. See this map.
So if a person from Himachal decides to go to Rajasthan, just see the maps how long a detour he has to take.

Even countries like USA allow their old vehicles to ply after emission clearances. But nowhere have I heard a blanket ban as a solution, which for the record has NOT YIELDED ANY RESULT.
batish is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 13:04   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Sir, with due respect I completely disagree with you in this aspect. There are no advantages. Let me paint the picture for you. Majority of the pollution emitters are industries in Delhi NCR region. So scrapping old whichever BS cars are won't make things rosy. This ban was imposed years back. There has been no change in pollution levels, infact I haven't seen a single year when levels were low in winter. Leave apart low pollution levels, it hasn't been even moderate.
The ancillary advantages? lol. The government and the automotive industry are the only 2 who are getting the benefit from this diktat.
Have you read any post in this forum or anywhere where the person has got refund of his road tax paid? Till date the government is collecting tax for 15 years on diesel vehicles whereas they can only ply till 10 years. The automotive industry on the other hand got boost in sales and services.
Before I forget. This diktat applies to BS6 vehicles too. No matter how less they emit particles they can only ply for 10 years.
Sir the solution is not blanket ban. If this is how things work then ban the major sources of pollution, close the industries down. Solution is proper PUC check. If it passes then fine let the owner decide. If not, then impound it and scrap it.
It truly hurts when the vehicle is used less and you have to let it go after maintaining it and keeping it in pristine condition for all these years. We are not the government where the money in coffers will flow in somehow.
Even countries like USA allow their old vehicles to ply after emission clearances. But nowhere have I heard a blanket ban as a solution, which for the record has NOT YIELDED ANY RESULT.

Hi, I will try to respond to all points at once, multi quote is something I haven’t mastered yet.

Agreed that majority of the pollution emitters are not automotive. So the solution to the problem cannot be single fold. But then government is trying to tackle all pollution emitters na. Trying to find solutions to the crop burning, trying to clamp down on captive diesel generating units (for eg even the company that makes syringes has been temporarily shut down), closing down the oldest of the thermal plants in the area, to name a few. So if there is effort on other polluters, then why not automotive as well?

The automotive component of the pollution is about 10% of total pollution in the NCR area. Agreed, it does not seem much, but based on an educated guess, a large portion of this automotive pollution is from BS3 vehicles, based on the emission limits of various classes of vehicles (B3,BS4,BS6) As a result, removing BS3 vehicles would actually be beneficial.
I will not comment on the road tax refund, as I have not much knowledge of the same. Government does get money out of sales but we need to remember that Automotive sector generates a lot of employment, being one of the largest sectors in India. So that is definitely a good thing.

Regarding this diktat applying to BS6 vehicles, makes sense, by 2031, the pollution norms will be that much stricter that the clean diesels of today would not make sense by then.

Regarding your point of having pristine condition BS3 vehicles plying on the roads, I completely agree that they should be allowed to continue, but we have to take into account that 1 out of maybe 100 BS3 vehicles will be in that condition (optimistic estimate IMO), rest 99 would be in not so good condition, and making exceptions for that 1% vehicles would be tough to enforce in an already complicated system of implementation of these rules.

The fact that very few vehicles have actually been scrapped shows that the government, either through lethargy or as a plan, used this law to get people to seriously think about upgrading their vehicles, rather than using force to get it done.

I completely agree with you that PUC norms needs to be tightened and used as a measure for disqualifying vehicles and deregistering them. This is an implementation issue, and I hope they are able to improve on this, not just in NCR but all over the country.

We cannot compare other countries like USA because of the much lower population (and vehicle) density vs India, in addition to much larger land mass and green cover. Just because it doesn’t work there, it wont work in India is wrong conceptually, just like blindly apeing them is wrong. India has its own experts, and need of the hour is to find India specific solutions to local problems.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th December 2021 at 13:18. Reason: Adding paragraph break for better readability. Thanks
kosjam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 13:43   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosjam View Post
India has its own experts, and need of the hour is to find India specific solutions to local problems.
Us enthusiasts have a problem with scrapping of lovingly kept, well maintained cars. It is the government's responsibility to not even setup, but only enforce the systems already in place to weed out polluting vehicles. The PUC is online, why not send out notices for scrapping/warnings to all vehicles found failing. Enforce that system so that PUC centers CANNOT issue fakes.

Instead, they have made it the responsibility of the owners. A car is a huge investment for most Indians, mostly a once in a lifetime thing. To ask them to scrap it after 10-15 years?
And there is no incentive. Give a person some bonus, apart from the ridiculous scrap value.
Or at the very least, be a bit more honest and refund the remainder of the 15 year tax collected.
mayankk is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 16:04   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Us enthusiasts have a problem with scrapping of lovingly kept, well maintained cars. It is the government's responsibility to not even setup, but only enforce the systems already in place to weed out polluting vehicles. The PUC is online, why not send out notices for scrapping/warnings to all vehicles found failing. Enforce that system so that PUC centers CANNOT issue fakes.

Instead, they have made it the responsibility of the owners. A car is a huge investment for most Indians, mostly a once in a lifetime thing. To ask them to scrap it after 10-15 years?
And there is no incentive. Give a person some bonus, apart from the ridiculous scrap value.
Or at the very least, be a bit more honest and refund the remainder of the 15 year tax collected.

I completely agree with your point of enthusiasts having lovingly kept and well maintained cars. But the issue here is that the BS3 technology is so old that it needs to be replaced, even with the best kept of vehicles, which, lets face it, is almost never the case, rather, is the exception.

Granted, a little running around and patience is required to get back the road tax refund, you have a valid point there.

The PUC system is gradually coming to centre stage and in time, what u have suggest will probably happen as well. But as they say, rome was not built in a day, so a little patience is the need of the hour. Already the RTO system has seen massive improvements in just a decade. Enforcement as always, is the weak link, and i do hope that side of things will be improved in the near future.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 07:29   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

Delhi cars are really going for nuts money right now. I mean, like peanuts!
2k7 crv for 1.2 lac, even saw a 2k11 or 12 one for 3 lacs..... (justified) panic selling.
If you're looking, head to buy/sell groups in Delhi NCR on facebook.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:00   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EV conversions restricted to empanelled. EV kit manufacturers Individual certification needed for each model’s EV kit.
List of 8 companies empanelled so far for Electric retrofitment for diesel/ petrol nearing or having crossed end of life ( 10/15 years )

More will follow after regulatory approvals

Supreme Court bans 15-year old petrol & 10-year old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR-20220103_154950.jpg

Link
Old 4th January 2022, 15:07   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Delhi Government De-Registers more than 1 Lakh overaged Diesel Vehicles. The state will give NOC for re-registeration in other states.

Source
Old 13th January 2022, 14:22   #284
BHPian

Quick question, if you have a transferrable job (govt, defense, etc), how does the 10-15yr rule work in Delhi? If your car is registered in some other state, can it still be allowed to run in NCR if it has been re-registered in the home state?
Old 13th January 2022, 14:30   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmreaper_gtr View Post
Quick question, if you have a transferrable job (govt, defense, etc), how does the 10-15yr rule work in Delhi? If your car is registered in some other state, can it still be allowed to run in NCR if it has been re-registered in the home state?
No matter where the car is registered or whom it is registered to, it is not allowed to ply on Delhi NCR roads if its older than 10 year old and is diesel.
Metallicar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed