Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2018, 14:33   #1
BHPian

Renault Duster 85PS production temporarily stopped

Renualt is going to stop the 85PS diesel Duster. This was the value for money variant for consumers.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/renault-d...topped-1939662

I was about to book a used duster 85PS tomorrow. Is it still safe to buy the used one? Comment please.

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2018 at 09:15. Reason: Typos
GRAND23 is offline   (5) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 30th October 2018, 14:59   #2
BHPian

re: Renault Duster 85PS production temporarily stopped

It should still be a good bet. There are enough models in the market so spares should not be an issue.

In fact you should try and bargain harder, now that the model is no longer in production

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2018 at 09:16. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited for typos
Tapish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 15:02   #3
BHPian

I am not very surprised. Several compact/sub-compact SUVs have hit the market since the Duster era began, and with better pricing and specs. Obviously, the Duster has taken a hit as has been discussed many times on many threads on our forum.

I had a chance to drive my cousin's 85 PS for about 400 kilometers on the way to Mahabaleshwar from Bangalore. To be very honest, I was not too impressed with its punch or power (lack of) and felt it is only for those with a very light foot and focus on fuel economy.

Given a chance, I would any day pick the 110 PS despite its higher pricing, slightly lesser fuel economy and some turbo lag.

Renault probably agrees with me .
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 15:15   #4
BHPian

Isn't 85PS engine the same as 110ps variant in a different state of tune? If yes what could be the supply constraint?
Could this be a precursor to reduction in 110 variant prices?
pacman2881 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 15:45   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Isn't 85PS engine the same as 110ps variant in a different state of tune? If yes what could be the supply constraint?
I am just thinking in same line. Though the article says Renault has stopped the production temporarily due to supply chain issues, I suspect there is more in coming days.

I was just about to make final payment tommorow for used duster which is 2016 registered and had odo 8500kms only.

The agreed amount between dealer and me was 8 lakhs. But now my concern is after investing 8 lakhs for used car what would be my resale value? Will there be any buyer for 85PS after 5 years in market?

There is a huge risk associated and I am unable to make a decision.

I had a chat with dealer(Trident used cars) on this and they say that may be Renault is gearing for new duster launch.
But the question is, the money I am investing is worth enough?
Old 30th October 2018, 16:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post

The agreed amount between dealer and me was 8 lakhs. But now my concern is after investing 8 lakhs for used car what would be my resale value? Will there be any buyer for 85PS after 5 years in market?

There is a huge risk associated and I am unable to make a decision.
If you are planning to keep it long term, resale shouldn't be a major criterion in your decision. But if all this points to an imminent launch of the facelift - now or early 2019, you can wait for a better bargain on the outgoing model.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 31st October 2018 at 05:28. Reason: Added punctuation. Please proof-read before posting. Thanks.
Old 30th October 2018, 16:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 110 ps variant has a larger turbo therefore the lag as compared to the 85 ps variant.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 21:18   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Isn't 85PS engine the same as 110ps variant in a different state of tune?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
The 110 ps variant has a larger turbo therefore the lag as compared to the 85 ps variant.

They are different engines sharing the same block. The difference in not just with the Turbo. The piston's and connecting rod, fly-wheel (dual-mass for 110) and some other differences are there.
4x4addict is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 09:21   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster 85PS production temporarily stopped

Have changed the title and added *temporarily* as the article states so.

What I found equally interesting is this part:
Quote:
we have seen an increase in demand for Duster AMT and also for the petrol portfolio which cumulatively contributes 70% of the overall Duster sales coupled also by the recent launch of all new RXS petrol variant
That is quite something! I would have never imagined a weak petrol & jerky AMT to account for such a large portion of sales. Shows which way the market is moving!

Quote:
Let's say that there is a supply constraint of a common component. Even in that case, the manufacturer will always prioritise the production of the more expensive variants which provide a higher profit margin.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 16:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. 85 ps & 110 pp engines have different Fuel Injection pump & different Common Rail System

2.110 ps has higher operating temperatures resulting in a slightly different cooling system. 110 ps engine has different oil pump operating at higher oil pressures and a bigger heat exchanger

3. 110 ps engine has pistons with oil galleries under the combustion face

4. In addition to this, there would be certain alterations in plumbing, wiring etc along with difference in ECU of 110 ps compared to 85 ps.

And finally the obviously different turbo as suggested in one of the previous posts.

There could be a possibility of supply chain constraints.

Last edited by i74js : 31st October 2018 at 16:15.
i74js is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th December 2018, 13:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just now I received a SMS from Renault "Great News for Duster Lovers. The 85ps is back. Book your car today to get early supply with great offers". There are two possibilities through, either supply chain constraint is fixed or they are trying to get rid of 2018 model 85ps vehicles.

About 6 months back I had test driven Duster with an inclination towards 85ps. In last 6 months I have test driven feature packed , good looking interior vehicles launched by TATA, Mahindra, Maruti, Ford etc which are in the price range of Duster. Today I feel that the Duster desperately needs a facelift and definitely needs a good looking interior.

Last edited by recshenoy : 10th December 2018 at 13:23.

Most Viewed