Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Old 31st October 2018, 11:56   #1
BHPian

Default Would love to do a new-gen Sierra: Pratap Bose, Head of Design @ Tata

Would love to do a new-gen Sierra: Pratap Bose, Head of Design, Tata

Quote:
In an exclusive chat with Autocar India, Pratap Bose, Head of Design at Tata Motors, said: A lot of people want to see the Sierra back. I don't know if that would work or not, in some form, but I think a new Sierra would be a very cool car to do, actually.

And the Sierra is not the only iconic Tata Bose would like to redo for the present day. He also mentioned the idea of working on a new-generation Sumo a people-carrier that was a fairly common sight on Indian roads in the 1990s and early 2000s is a thrilling one.
Quote:
That said, Bose notes that the use case for all kinds of vehicles has changed dramatically over the last two decades and that reviving any of these cars would require investigating if such a product is even feasible in the present day.
https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...gn-tata-410273
darklord is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 12:42   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Would love to do a new-gen Sierra: Pratap Bose, Head of Design @ Tata

Don't see it happening anytime soon. Specially in the old 3 door format.

Would have loved to see the H5X branded Sierra and the H7X as the Safari though!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 09:28   #3
BANNED

Default re: Would love to do a new-gen Sierra: Pratap Bose, Head of Design @ Tata

Actually there does seem to be a bit of a retro movement happening. Take for example the new Suzuki Jimny which wont reach Indian shores. It’s Boxy design is retro but yet, it has been modernised significantly. Take the most well known of them all, the Land Rover (Defender) and the Jeep (Wrangler) - they kept true to the vehicle’s roots and yet allowed for them to be modernised as necessary. The new Wrangler JL 2018 is a perfect example.
Next, the classic 1970’s Ford Bronco is getting revived now for 2019. And that was another iconic vehicle. Boxy. Tough. Functional. And from all accounts the new one is going to be a retro design but yet in keeping with the modern world’s requirements.

With this in mind, I am sure that the Tata Sierra can be revived. In some form or other. I just do earnestly hope they keep to its original styling cues and elegant slightly boxy design. That was a superb looker in the 1990’s. And with all the advances in technology plus the Tata Motors connection with Jaguar Land Rover, I am sure that they can take good inputs on design and create something elegant and which will be appreciated by the SUV buyer of today!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st November 2018 at 09:31.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 12:12   #4
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Sierra stopped doing any decent numbers once the Sumo and Safari gained momentum.

So while there would be some lovers for any shape and package, Sierra may not have too many takers as a 2+1 door vehicle with a large glass rear portion causing difficulty in seat access and cooling both.

Changing the basic configuration mentioned above would take away the heart of the Sierra and the heart in this case was the source of most of the problems. Solved with the Safari which too is now a dated form factor.

So I feel even if the name Sierra is reused the format would be very very different.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 12:52   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Would love to do a new-gen Sierra: Pratap Bose, Head of Design @ Tata

Wow, what memories this one rekindles. Had some great times in one of my closest friend's Sierra Turbo. It was a car that screamed style. An icon.

There is no way a 2-door Sierra will ever be launched, but Tata would be smart to use the name for a stylish upcoming SUV. Agreed with CrAzY dRiVeR - they should have used it for the Harrier (although the name "Harrier" is also very cool).
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 14:41   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Would love to do a new-gen Sierra: Pratap Bose, Head of Design @ Tata

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... Tata would be smart to use the name for a stylish upcoming SUV.
The Tata Sierra was clearly inspired by the Ford Bronco II (younger brother to the full size Bronco) in its exterior design, especially the 2nd row windows.

Ford stopped using the Bronco model name in 1990, when production of the Bronco II ended.

Ford has recently announced that they will be reviving the Bronco model name for a new SUV, due in 2020, after a 30 year gap - see https://www.ford.com/suvs/bronco/. It is unknown if the exterior design will hark back to the classic 3 door shape or just use the model name on a new modern mid size SUV.

Tata discontinued the Sierra in 2000. Hopefully they won't wait another 30 years to revive the model name !

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 20:17   #7
BHPian

Sierra reeked style! In its heyday, those who couldn’t own it would ogle at it at every given instance.

But if they launched the model again, I doubt if they’d get too many takers. If they revived it with a 5 door version, I’d bet that the charm of the lovely glass house will be lost. And it might just be yet another SUV from the Tata stable. Even when it was in production, I don’t think it was ever considered as a success.

Last edited by theMAG : 1st November 2018 at 21:12. Reason: Typo fixed. "hay day" = "heydey"
Old 1st November 2018, 21:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Sierra reeked style! In it hay-days, those who couldn’t own it would ogle at it at every given instance.

But if they launched the model again, I doubt if they’d get too many takers. If they revived it with a 5 door version, I’d bet that the charm of the lovely glass house will be lost. And it might just be yet another SUV from the Tata stable. Even when it was in production, I don’t think it was ever considered as a success.
Those were the days of Tata experimenting with car making. Those were the days when they produced vehicles like the Sierra, Estate and the Tata mobile.

I remember driving the estate many a times. It probably was the only domestic vehicle which had power windows, power steering, rear wash wipe and if memory serves me well rear defogger.
Not to mention acres of space in the estate.

They were well ahead of time in terms of the features except reliability.
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 21:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

The saying "those were the best of times", will hold true for me. It was a beast on the road. Commanded such respect that other vehicles would give right-of-way. Underpowered at 68 BHP (NA version), it had the best comfort levels.

We had cut out the rear wheel wells and extended the seat to seat three comfortably. Back in those days, I drove through Maatupetty Dam from Munnar to Kodaikanal. There was no semblance of a road and the first 4 kms uphill took us 2 hours. We drove the distance of 60 kms in 6 hours without a single human in sight. We drove over rocks, fallen trees, slush and water crossings. The year was 1998, and on Gandhi Jayanthi.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 21:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

I will surely buy one if they launch a 2 door version with that tinted glass at the back! I am sure a lot of Thar owners will feel the same.
BlackPearl is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 23:24   #11
BHPian

It would be the stupidest move of Tata Motors to bring back the iconic Sierra.
How can one even drive this car till the Tints are banned in the country.

That ad though - It takes the rough with the smooth.

neofromcapone is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 00:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default Would love to do a new-gen Sierra: Pratap Bose, Head of Design @ Tata

My Dad owned two sierras back to back! First was the regular one and the second was the Turbo. The Sierra turbo was my favourite since it had ample grunt and had clear headlamps which looked better than earlier version.
This was sometime back in 1997, when I was in class 11! My dad had owned the first one, it had some niggles, he sold it off and for a while he was using premier Padmini 137D. When the time came to switch again, we had zeroed in on the new Esteem and the Peugeot 309 GLD. But at the same time Tata launched the Turbo and all of us felt it was better than the cramped Esteem and 309.

And I learnt to drive in the Sierra Turbo! One of the coolest moments was driving the Sierra turbo to my Class 12 farewell! You should have seen the response!

Style apart, it was very good to drive and I clocked 160 in the car on an empty stretch!

However, it was a big hassle for any of the older folks to get in the backseat. And there was this one time where the AC stopped working during a long trip, and we had to stop to find a mechanic to repair.

If they launch a new model in the same name and without the iconic glass window section, then it would be like how Maruti launched the Estilo with the Zen name plate.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 00:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
It would be the stupidest move of Tata Motors to bring back the iconic Sierra.
How can one even drive this car till the Tints are banned in the country.

That ad though - It takes the rough with the smooth.

https://Youtu.be/3ogh44v6BeQ
The tints rule is only aftermarket fitments like films. OEM glass shades are allowed so that in particular should not be a deterrent. Also the glasshouse can be adapted to a 5 door by doing a similar roof like the H5X which was large portions of glass. In fact I for one wished they called the Harrier a Sierra rather and pay homage to the greater part of the pedigree
nainan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 02:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

I've never been in one let alone be in one. When we had a Qualis in 2000, the Sierra looked way more contemporary on the outside.

Tata should try getting back the old look and maybe have gull-wing doors with that iconic rear glass. So much for wishful thinking.
Old 2nd November 2018, 10:22   #15
BHPian

Pratap Bose just expressed interest. I don't think they have anything planned in the near future. But , I am certain that the Sierra will be reborn one day , simply because TATA loves legacy and a time will come when they have a design that can earn the name. The H5X using Sierra wouldn't make sense as there was just no connection to that legacy. I feel Tata did the right thing by going for an all new Harrier. The reality is that TATA doesn't have enough market share to be putting out multiple SUV's that will overlap. The Harrier and H7X will have to break that barrier and bring in new market share. Until then, we wait.
chittybang is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed